News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 07:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine ping after timing chain replacement  (Read 10425 times)

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Engine ping after timing chain replacement
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
Hello to all again. Need help with engine ping after the timing chain/gears were replaced. Before the repairs, did not have this problem. Timing was set to 8*. I only get the ping when going up hill. This is a 88 with a non computer controlled Carter BBD carb, TIF upgrade, MSD-6A ignition, MSD wires, Pertronix coil. I have changed timing to 6* and checked EGR and still have a pining issue. I was originally running with Champion 3034 plugs and during the repairs, the shop replaced the plugs with Champion 7034 plugs. So, should I go back to the 3034 plugs or should I use something different?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Engine ping after timing chain replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
I would try neither and put in a regular old non platinum plug. I prefer NGK's myslef.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »
Bosch and NGK platinums are good.  Are you sure you lined up the gears right on the money.  Does not take much to make the timing marks sort of useless.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »
I did not do the work myself. It was done at a local shop where I was at when the car died on me (see previous post). I have to assume that they did it right. Just wondering what brand and number spark plugs everyone was using.

Also after reading all the posts about timing adjustments, still confused about ported and manifold vacuum to dist.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »
Vacuum advance should be ported (near zero at idle then up when you hit the throttle) Manifold vacuum is whatever the manifold has inside below the throttle plate. Generally high at idle.

Autolite 985 or NGK 7252. When I disconnected my EGR (still there, but not in use) I run NGK 2288s (BKR6EK) to kill the ping monster. Also used by many Japanese and German cars (replaced Bosch as the factory plug for VW and Volvo)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »
Ok, so today I decided to replace the distributor cap and rotor. Now the car will not start and is doing exactly what it did three weeks ago - try to start but blow out thru top of carb. Great! So I replace the original cap and rotor - same problem - no start. Had good spark and had to move the distributor and it started. Reset timing. I am wondering if there is a problem with the advance. I noticed that timing would jump once every now and then when viewing with a timing light. So, should I get this distributor rebuilt or just get another?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »
Did you originally have the computerized carb? If so, the computer may be messing with the timing. I would switch to an HEI unit. Your coil may have the horseshoe connector that drives people CRAZY when it goes bad. Search Evilbay for Skip White Jeep HEI
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:52:45 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 11:06:13 AM »
Sounds like it is way out of time.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:05:31 PM »
In responce to the last posts, I have a non computer controlled BBD Carb with MSD Iginition Box and Petronix Coil. Set timing to 8* at idle and changed to ported vacuum. Was on a 150 mille trip and had bad knocking. Stopped and adjusted timing to 2*  and knoching went away. However, at the end of the trip the car started running like crap. Move ported vacuum on distributor back to manifold vacuum and running improved. I returned to the same shop where the timing chain was replaced three weeks ago. They checked it out and could not find any problems. They said I may have a high buildup of carbon causing the pining. They also checked balancer to see if it had shifted and all was OK as well as mechnical advance in distributor.

So right now timing is set to 2* and distributor hooked up to original manifold vacuum. Its still pining and diesels when I turn it off. I have also noticed an increase use of oil - one quart in 300 miles. Don't know where to go from here other than tradeing in the Eagle. Its going to need a lot of work - complete exhaust system replacement, front and read suspension bushings need replaced, transmission not shifting smooth, etc. Its as the Eagle only has 42500 original miles on it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
Was it burning that much oil before? Excessive oil in the combustion chamber will cause carbon build up and cause pinging. Find someone who sells Amsoil near you and get some Amsoil PI http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/gasoline/p-i-performance-improver-gasoline-additive/.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »
No it was not using that much oil before. I changed the oil at 40,000 miles with Rotalla 15W40 and it would use about 1/4 to 1/2 qt /1000 miles. When they changed the timing chain& gears the shop changed oil with 5w30. That is when I notice the high oil usage. Spark plugs are new and are not oil fowled. PCV working OK and no excess oil in air cleaner.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »
I wonder if the garage got one of those timing gear kits that has the 3 different keyways for different advance/retard positions (or different applications), and the shop stuck it on in the wrong position??   
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47:08 PM »
I like auto lite plugs, all my AMC's seem to like them too.

Hook your advance to ported vac on the side of the carb,

Forget the timing light, hook a vacuum guage to the manifold vacuum port, set timing and carb for best vacuum reading, around 19 is good

If it pings, back it off a tiny bit and try again, remember tiny bit

After 30 years things don't line up like they used to but there's still a sweet spot there somewhere. The new timing chain probably just moved that sweet spot, you'll find it eventually.

Also, make sure your choke is completely opening, if not that will cause it to diesel and do all kinds of weird stuff, ask me how I know.....

Good luck. Keep us posted
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:51:12 PM by Amc1320 »
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 02:21:29 AM »
I run Autolite or NGK in Jeeps with no probs. As for the sudden oil burning, I wonder if the PCV lost it's internals? I would change oil first (unless the motor was brand new, 5W30 is WAAAAY too thin. 30W was factory fill in other countries but 15W40 is okay or Napa synthetic 15W50) I wish I could see the hose routing. Something isn't set up right. oil being drawn in will make it ping. Poor fuel economy? Flooding carb made mine ping too. The liquid fuel seals off the cylinders too tight and brings up the compression, like hydrolocking. Flooding fuel thins the oil as well and allows it to be burnt.

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
Had to drive home today so made sure oil level was at full. After a 140 mile trip, checked oil level and it had not droped any. Did not get any pinging but timing still at 2*. Gas mileage has not changed - still getting around 15 mpg highway. My next step is to replace the plugs with NGK 2288's as suggested and reset timing to spec. Will monitor oil level for any sudden drop. Will let everyone know the outcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk