News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 03:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kaktus Kammster  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
Kaktus Kammster
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »
Well, some of the older members from the old Nest might remember my Kammback project and what a struggle that was to put on the road. The car never did pass emissions and so it has been sitting since 2010. It gets started about twice a month and every now and then I sneak out for a run down the river trail by my house. I have all the flares and trim for it these days, and I even have the rear filler piece (made from unobtanum) that goes between the rear bumper and body. That particular piece is like handling a piece of parchment, but I know a local restoration shop with a superb metalsmith, so likely I will have a replica for that part made from sheetmetal.

I'm hoping to have the car painted and new carpet within the next twelve months, at which point the car will have been done from a fully-stripped shell, to a full rebuild on both axles, transfer case, transmission and engine. For awhile I had three side-draft Webers and two-piece headers on the car, loved the heck out of that setup, and three two-barrels didn't fail emissions any worse than one two-barrel did. We ran into serious financial problems when my wife and I both lost our incomes for over two years, so those performance pieces are gone now, and the car is back to bone stock except for the cam and head.

Just thought I would let people who remember the car know where the project is at right now. I'll use this thread to post pictures and commentary as I find them and remember them, things like the mysterious transfer case leak that I had, the drivetrain pull and install, the rubber components, shifter swap, distributor rebuild and those other things that I remember people commenting a lot about. As things progress at my new job and I can get some funding set aside, I'll cover the paint and interior prep here and get some pictures up for everyone to follow.

I love the new Den and I'm stoked that the greatest AMC site on Earth is back in the mix again.
-mike

My first look at the Kammster, during a parts scout:

Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: Kaktus Kammster
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
Good luck with your project! I hope you can get it to pass inspection so you can really enjoy that thing!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline ISOAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
If you ever get your metal guy to make you a rear bumper filler, and wouldn't mind making a couple extras, I would be in the market for two of them for my Kaambacks. I'm also looking for bumper ends for all corners on both cars. If you have any leads, I'm all ears. I'm not going to try to  nickle and dime anybody, but I am looking for quality. I've searched for two years w/o any luck.

Thanks, George.

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
I had to chime in too!  If your metal guy makes a good reproduction for the rear bumper filler piece, I could use 2 of them!  Let's give him some business!

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
I have approached the metal guy about it, and he is interested, but of course first he needs to see the part. I just got my '86 F150 through emissions yesterday, and the work and study I did on that pickup gave me some fresh ideas on how to get the Kammster through the gauntlet. And having a pickup available now means that I have a good way to transport the rear filler piece over for him to have a look at. This is, seriously, the only one I have ever seen. There might have been one on a car in a picture somewhere, but these things basically don't exist. Once I put a few paychecks under my belt from the new job, I'll be running that puppy down to him to get a look-see. I have already explained it would be more of a prestige project for him than a way to make any real money, with such a small market out there. He says he likes the idea of a challenge of that type. I have an extra set of the skeletal metal pieces that clip behind the bumper for him to work with, too.

My suggestion for the rear bumper ends is to use sedan ones, and to just trim the ends shorter to fit under the flares. I have checked a set of two-door ones that I have, and I'm sure it will work in such a way that nobody will be able to tell. On the fronts, I do happen to live in rust-free Sonoran desert country, so I still see Eagles being driven to work in traffic. I'll keep my eyes open for a set of front bumper ends. We still have survivors in this part of the world. I actually know a guy that drives a Model T to work. There are 40s, 50s and 60s cars in traffic every day all over Arizona.

Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
On my Kammback I used Station Wagon rear bumper ends cut down to fit. The profile is different, so the rear flare around the tire also needed to be exchanged from the Kammback one to a Station Wagon version. Along with the change in profile the flare had to sit a little higher than the old one, so none of the existing trim holes lined up. They were covered by the flare, so it was just a matter of drilling new ones just a little higher than the old ones. It came out looking nice and stock but wasn't as easy as it appeared at first.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
And having a pickup available now means that I have a good way to transport the rear filler piece over for him to have a look at. This is, seriously, the only one I have ever seen. There might have been one on a car in a picture somewhere, but these things basically don't exist.

I must have the only other one in existence!  If you are able to get some made, I would probably be interested, just to have a back up in case mine disintegrates.  Captspillane has inquired about borrowing one of my end caps to digitize so he can reproduce them, and that will happen one of these days.

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk