News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 06:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 87 Wagon. Body damage. Running. Make me an offer  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
87 Wagon. Body damage. Running. Make me an offer
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
I would like to test the interest in my 87 Wagon, Izabella. I crashed into an Explorer in early April and crushed in the driver side fender. I don't believe there was any major suspension or frame damage but I haven't done the deconstruction necessary to see for sure. The car DOES RUN, however the battery died and the hood is currently dented shut. If there are serious offers I will happily tear the hood off (somehow) to recharge the battery and prove that she still drives. This was my daily driver since September '11 and she gave me no serious problems outside of the normal maintenance. This was a WV car for most of it's life and the rust underneath is minimal. The 258 has 140,000 miles on it 14,000 of which are mine. Technically I am the 4th owner, however the lady that bought it new new in northeast PA sold it immediately after 12 miles because she heard AMC was going out of business and she was worried about finding parts. :rotfl: It got most of it's miles in the country roads of WV until the PO moved to northwest Michigan and sold it to the family I bought it from in '09.

I was planning on keeping this as a parts car but I will be buying an Eagle in mint condition that shouldn't need major parts for a while. Besides, for someone willing to do the body work this car is imminently savable. I would much rather see her on the road again in the right hands. She ran fine before the crash and took me everywhere I wanted to go.

KNOWN ISSUES BEFORE THE CRASH:

Badly needs shocks
Carter BBD needs cleaning and probably a rebuild
Suspected short at the positive terminal, battery dies about every two weeks
4x4 doesn't always engage (shifter vacuum motor?)
Stereo needs wiring work.
Dome light remains on so I took the bulb out.
Horn not connected. ( I think the mechanic messed it up when he replaced the ignition.)

GREMLINS:

When the car first starts there is squeal that I can't pinpoint that lasts about 10 seconds. This is the only time it makes this noise.
When the car is first shifted into gear after having sat there is grinding noise from tranny or transfer case, not sure which. It only does this first time it's started a day. The Automatic trans is not slipping

NEW:
Gas tank is brand new as of last year
Battery, Alternator, Starter were replaced upon purchase.
Recent TFI Upgrade. Sans coil. I did the full upgrade and have done it to my previous Eagle but this time I couldn't get the coil bracket off for the life of me. I still have the hotter coil in the box. I decided to do it later as I had already replaced the coil upon purchase (it had an AMC logo on it when I bought it).
New brakes all around as of March. They may need to be bleed as there is some play in the pedal, but they are new and it stops appropriately.

This is my second Eagle and I've been plenty close it so I should be able to answer most questions with rudimentary mechanical knowledge.

I DO NOT need to sell this car. Therefore the right price and more importantly the right BUYER are key for me. However I don't know what the going rate for an Eagle with body damage is. So make me an offer. I will NOT scrap her. If there isn't interest in a purchase for the whole car I will consider parting it out. As the sun rises and I get better light I will take many more pictures onto my new imgur. http://brishenmiller.imgur.com/ Sorry, I can't figure out how to post directly on the thread. I am located in Kalamazoo, MI.
Only you truly know your Eagle.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: 87 Wagon. Body damage. Running. Make me an offer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »
I'd hate to what that explorer looked like....

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
Re: 87 Wagon. Body damage. Running. Make me an offer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
Nice big Eagle sized dent in the driverside quarter panel, looked all cosmetic but it was a pretty good hit. I re-injured my knee so I haven't been moving too well, I'll have more pics up soon. Pretty sure I've decided to part her out.
Only you truly know your Eagle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk