News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 08:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: another fuel injection question  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Cole1986

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 1980 Sedan
another fuel injection question
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
so i have a 81 sx4 and a 82 sx4 and i want to make the best of the two. the 82 has the selective drive with the automatic tranny, so the question i have is......if i was to do the 4.0L head swap and put in the fuel injection, will the vacuum on the selective drive still work? i just picked up the 82 so I really dont know to much on how that all works so any input will be much appreciated. thanks
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj631/colewebster1986/photo.jpg
81' Eagle SX4 Project
80' Sedan Working
82' Spirit Working

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: another fuel injection question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »
Yes, as long as you hook the vacuum line up.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Yes, like eaglefreek said.  If the front axle in the '81 is the same ratio as the rear in the '82 and the '81 is not select drive then you have want to consider swapping it in.  Or just lock the front disconnect axle on the '82.  Either way you then have shift on the fly capability.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
X3 , as long butt the vacuum hose that goes to the system is hooked to manifold vacuum your good to go.

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »
Which trans will you run? OEM 998 needs a CPS hole and flexplate to operate the EFI or harmonic balancer kit (@$300 last I checked). If you go AW4, will you run the Eagle Tcase? If so, you need a '91 up AW4 (23 spline) and 1" spacer ring between trans and case. You can hook up just the front axle to the dash switch if you use a non-vacuum controlled XJ tcase.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Cole1986

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 1980 Sedan
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 01:40:43 AM »
K thanks guys. I started this weekend on pulling it all apart so the fun has begun. Still throwing the injection idea around but I'm not totally against the carb. So if I kept it carbed what's my best option. I like all the post on gronks kit and I saw I nice set up from Clifford. So let me know, thanks
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj631/colewebster1986/photo.jpg
81' Eagle SX4 Project
80' Sedan Working
82' Spirit Working

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
K thanks guys. I started this weekend on pulling it all apart so the fun has begun. Still throwing the injection idea around but I'm not totally against the carb. So if I kept it carbed what's my best option. I like all the post on gronks kit and I saw I nice set up from Clifford. So let me know, thanks
There seems to be as many opinions on what carb is best as there are people using carbs.

All carbs perform the same function...vaporizing gasoline and mixing that vapor with air, ideally to attain the perfect 14 parts air to one part gasoline mixture. For the engineer that figure is called "stoichiometry". The difference between carbs is how much of this mixture they can produce and how they do it.

Carbs are sized to meet the needs of the engine. They are typically rated at cubic feet per minute, or cfm. The engine's needs are dependent on the displacement of the engine and its volumetric efficiency, or how much power is used  by the engine to move air-fuel mixture in and exhaust gases out. A larger or different carb is not by itself going to allow the engine to produce more power.  What's more, the larger or different carb may not be able to produce a stoichiometric mixture at less airflow.

The original 258 cylinder head was not known for good volumetric efficiency. Many on this forum have installed an improved 4.0 head and intake manifold on their 258s to improve the volumetric efficiency of this engine, therefore making more of the energy produced by burning gasoline available for moving the car. For engines so modified a larger or different carb may make a difference.

I'm not an engineer, and I'm likely guilty of over-simplifying. The point is that improved performance is a multi-faceted proposition. Improving any one facet without attention to the others is likely to produce disappointing results.`

I'm partial to the OEM Carter, but that's because I've worked on them, understand them and am able to make them work. Are they trouble-free? No, but neither is any other completely trouble-free. The later feedback carbs are certainly more troublesome than the earlier models, but that's what happens when you add more features.  :eagle:

1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
If you want to buy a new carb, I'd recommend just getting an original Carter brand new from eBay. It's about the same price as the Motorcraft, or less for a non-feedback, and you won't have to figure out how to hook it all up correctly. A properly tuned Carter BBD will run just as well as the Motorcraft with similar mpg numbers, so long as everything else in your engine is working properly. It's not too difficult to tune if you know what you're doing, plus you don't need an intake adapter or modified throttle linkage.

If you're looking to eliminate the computer and get rid of vacuum lines, a non-feedback Carter can be run just as easily.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk