News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turn Signal Switch - Not locking on right Turn - Repair or replace?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline HawkenEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
For awhile it's been getting more difficult to switch on the right hand turn signal. Sometimes it wont hold in place. Is this a part which can be corrected with adjustments or is this a part which wears out and requires replacement.
Either way, is a simple steering wheel puller the only tool needed to get in there?
 Thanks!

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Turn Signal Switch - Not locking on right Turn - Repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
Yeah, sounds like you could use a new turn signal switch. You can still get them at part stores, I know RockAuto has two brands listed. You do need a steering wheel puller to get into the guts of the steering column. With a little time, the part, a steering wheel puller, and a service manual, this is a pretty straight forward job, and I'm sure the folks on here will be more than helpful if you run into a snag.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline HawkenEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
Hey - thanks for the assurance!! Im ordering RockAuto today as this last 1300 mile trip wore out my pitman arm finally.
And nice Eagle by the way!!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »
You need a lock plate depressor in addition to the steering wheel puller. It's a U-shaped bar with a threaded rod through the middle that screws onto the steering column shaft. A nut is then tightened to force the lock plate down and allow the retainer ring to be removed.  :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:18:16 PM »
Hey - thanks for the assurance!! Im ordering RockAuto today as this last 1300 mile trip wore out my pitman arm finally.
And nice Eagle by the way!!

Thanks for the compliment. And yeah you will need a tool to get the retainer ring for the steering wheel lock out. Mine is a homemade one that gets the job done, or they are pretty reasonable to buy.

Also, I've had to change my pitman arm a few times as well. Seems like every 35-40k miles, I don't understand why they wear out so quickly. Could be AMC trying to use Concord parts to move the extra half shafts and heavier front end equipment of the Eagles.  ???
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk