News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 02:13:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another newb ignition question.  (Read 1913 times)

Offline pikeagle86

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 3
Another newb ignition question.
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
I dropped a summit hei distributor into my 86 eagle, I also installed one of Gronk's awesome carb kits. Now I am trying to clean as much crap from the engine compartment as possible. I haven't figured out how to read the computer bypass diagram but want to pull it completely out. I am new to the site so if there are any posts that I missed, any direction would be appreciated. Also help on setting timing for this configuration would be great as well. Thanks for your help.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: Another newb ignition question.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »
as you already installed the motrorcraft carb and the hei ignition there is no need to by pass the computer cause is not working anymore and for the ignition timing it must be set to 10 degrees atdc + 2 degrees for higher altitudes over 2500 meters
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
I removed all wiring for the computer, ICM and carb. It's mostly stand alone. I did have to cut some wires going to a relay on the right fenderwell.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline pikeagle86

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
Thanks guys, I was hoping that with these additions I wouldn't have to worry about the old electronics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk