News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not my father's Eagle  (Read 9828 times)

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Not my father's Eagle
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
I started this post in the hatchlings section just to introduce myself and decide if I want to work on my father's Eagle. Please see that thread here http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=38933.0  I got some great advice on some things to try to get it started again. However, I have to say a great big Thank You to Rick, EagleFreak, for his help today. He drove up to look at the Eagle with me. First, he pulled up in an 87 Eagle that made me wish I had my running right now just to enjoy it as much as it looks like he does his! Man that is a great car.  After about 20 mins of searching for the right key he was able to pull one out of his pocket and it worked in my ignition. He said it was the door key for another Eagle he owns. It was turning over but not starting. We looked at possible reasons as to why but when we pulled the breather off it was evident why... the choke was not closed. He pushed it down, turned it over and the Eagle was started. We noticed a pretty bad fuel leak in the fuel line on both sides of the filter. We put it in gear and it would go forward but not in reverse. We checked the transmission fluid and none was to be found on the dipstick. I explained how the transfer casing got hung on the trailer as we were unloading it and lots of fluid poured out. So, I am going to need to jack it up and see if I can determine where the leak is coming from. The great news is the engine is running strong! So first things on my to do list;

replace fuel line and fuel filter
fill up transmission fluid and see if it leaks out
replace two tires so it rolls/drives onto a trailer
find a level place to jack it up and look at transmission/transfer casing for possible leaks

We also noticed two spots of rust on the frame. I had not seen these before today. The whole under carriage is covered in mud so as soon as I can drive it thru a car wash I will get that out of there and see about the rust spots.

I have added more photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80371482@N05/

Again, EagleFreak, Thank you so much for your advice and taking the time to get me started.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Not my father's Eagle
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:43 PM »
No big deal Jonathon, it was my pleasure. I want to ask some of you Nesters a question about the exterior trim. I've never seen an Eagle with colored trim that the bottom of the doors weren't painted to match. It is definitely the original paint and I don't see any evidence of the doors being painted the trim color at bottom.

EagleDriver by chanticlair281, on Flickr
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
Due to the special wheels and 3 frame roofrack, together with the special painting and extrerior trim, this must be a one off or rare pre-production model....... ;D

Anjo
Holland 

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
It is possible that the maroon color plastic pieces were donated from another car, and this entire car was originally all white.  Check the color tag to see if it shows one color  (I am not sure how to decipher them). 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
It is possible that the maroon color plastic pieces were donated from another car, and this entire car was originally all white.  Check the color tag to see if it shows one color  (I am not sure how to decipher them). 
That was my first guess but I checked the door tag and it lists the body as 9B and trim as 35Q. 9B is Olympic white and my all white Eagle has 9B on both the body and trim on the door tag. My 87 that was almost identical to Jonathon's has 9B for body and 35R as trim.

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
I checked the vin using this guide http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/AMC_VIN.htm and everything appears to be correct as it came off the line. Rick, did we try your key that fit the ignition in the door? I am wondering if the key that I have that unlocks my door is actually my door key for my dad's van. I found another key chain with a fuel key and another key so that may be it. I will check tomorrow when I get back out to look at the car.

Offline Ohio AMX

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
Years ago our local fire department used an Eagle wagon for the chief's car. It was painted a special lime green color to match the trucks, and it was done like the car shown here. The door bottoms matched the rest of the body and only the plastic pieces were a contrasting color. I don't know if the car was special ordered or repainted this way. This was so long ago that it was no big deal to see it driving around! Now I wish I had thought to take a picture of it.
Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
I went yesterday on my lunch break and disconnected the fuel line and fuel filter. There was a cut in both sides of the lines. The filter was only $5 so I replaced it as well. I grabbed some transmission fluid and poured in 300ml. it did not immediately come running out onto the ground so that is a plus. I did not check it with the dip stick so I will not get a feel for if it leaked any. If there is not a new fluid spot on the gravel when I go back for lunch today then I will see if I can fill it up and shift it into reverse. I also removed the flat and will get that put back on during lunch. I found another set of keys that may fit it so I will try those today. If those fit and it holds tranny fluid I should be able to drive it to level ground, or at least onto a trailer and then to a garage with a lift.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Sounds good, keep us posted. Let me know if you don't find that ignition key and I'll get a copy of my door key sent to you.

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »
Tire is on. Ignition key has been found. Dipstick has fluid on it. That is about all I got done on my lunch. I noticed the undercarriage is really dirty. Lots of oil and mud. I really hope to get it at least driveable enough to get it closer to a water hose. I forgot the battery so I did not start it up today. Tomorrow I will install the battery, fill the transmission fluid up, shift it in and out of gears and if all that is successful and I have time maybe even drive it around the yard. The brakes looked questionable as I was putting the wheel back on but I do not remember there being an issue when I rode in it in February. With no power steering I will not do much but I really want to at least move while sitting behind the wheel!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »
Why no power steering? hopefully belt is there as it also runs the water pump.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
Why no power steering? hopefully belt is there as it also runs the water pump.
There appears to be a bad hose that the fluid leaks out of. There is a new hose in the back seat though.

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »
Everytime my dad or my dad's friend (he had a guy that drove him around at the end) would get in the car to drive it they would pour in power steering fluid. Before my dad went into the hospital he had purchased a hose for it. I hope that is all that is wrong with it. As EagleFreek said, the hose is in the back seat (along with a sortment of other non-eagle related parts) so I hope that should fix the power steering.

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
Well, it was not a good morning! I live about 25 miles from my cousin's house where the eagle stays. I got up early to try and beat the 107 degree heat we are having. I get to the car and I checked the oil and transmission fluid both are sitting at the add line which means no fluid has leaked out...Yay! So, time to start the car. I get the battery installed and in my haste to beat the heat I realize that I had forgotten my keys! I drive home, get my keys and go back. I get there, set the choke and turn the key. It turns over sounds like it starts but it never does. I hear an exhaust sound (like the engine starting) but then it dies and I hear something that sounds like it is slowly coming to a stop (think weed eater after you let off the gas... perhaps the starter) I think, maybe the new fuel line\filter need to fill with gas first so I pumped it several times, turn the key and same thing! Over and over it does this. I remember that this is the sound it was making when we tried to start it and drive it on the trailer. Occasionally it will just sit there and turn over and if I pump the gas it will do that thing where it sounds like it starts but does not. The last time I tried to start it, the key got stuck forward and would not stop turning over (the key ring got stuck on the key locking lever) I got it turned off finally but the next time I turn the key over nothing happens. I still have all my lights working radio works, the battery did not sound weak before/during/after the last time it cranked. If I try to crank it with the radio on the radio shuts off. Did the battery just get too weak to crank or did I mess something up trying to start it so many times. I did the same things EagleFreek did to get it started but it just would not start for me. really discouraging! If I get some ideas from the community here I will try it again tonight but way too hot to try until much later. I really wish my Dad were here to work on this with me. He was the mechanic, I just handed him tools and held lights.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
The starter may have run too long and been on it's last legs. Try tapping the housing of the starter with a hammer (gently! I know the aggravation is tempting, but you'll at least need it for a core)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
I got a starter (and some other great items!) from Rick last weekend. I dropped the other one out and put the new (to me) one in. I hooked the battery up and nothing. I pulled the solenoid off and I go to the parts store with the old one and the old starter. I had them test the starter and though it was starting they said that it was sticking a bit and unless I had a really strong battery it probably would not start. I told them I already installed a different one and the car would not start when you turn the key. I asked them to look up a new solenoid and the one they gave me did not look like the one that I took off. This is the one that I took off. Notice the right side of the picture how it has an extra post on it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/80371482@N05/7538579314/in/photostream the parts guys could not tell me what it was for. They said they had never seen it before. They looked up the one for the manual transmission and it looked more like the one removed but it did not have the extra post. My car was an automatic from the factory according to the vin but it has the manual solenoid? Is this common?

So I got the automatic one from the parts store and install it. I hooked the battery back up and this time when I turn the key we have noise again!!! However, the key gets stuck in the start position and the only way to stop starting the car is to turn it back off again. I can hear the engine starting but the starter stays engaged until I turn the key to the off position. Bad ignition? Is there a way to bypass the key/ignition temporarily to see if the car is starting and my issue lies in the ignition? If if is the ignition do I need to find a parts car to rob it of the ignition and key? So I think I am almost back to where I started from!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
That extra post is for the neutral safety switch. There is a single connector near the solenoid that would have gone to that post. It keeps you from being able to start the car in gear. It sounds like either you have a bad ignition key cylinder or a bad ignition switch. There is a small box that is under the steering column that is connected to the ignition cylinder via a rod. You can try jumping the solenoid for now. Turn the key in the run position and then using a pair of needle nose pliers, touch one side of the pliers to the large terminal that goes to the positive terminal of the battery and the other side of the pliers to the S post which should be the small post right next to the positive post. You can buy new key cylinders at the auto parts store. There aren't very expensive, but you have to remove the steering wheel to replace it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:04:04 PM by eaglefreek »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
I think the new starter is sticking engaged. The quick test is to hold the brake and pop it into gear (forward or reverse) and see if the starter stops turning. If not, it's staying engaged due to a mechanical not electrical problem. (When the nose bushing in the starter goes bad it will do that)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline fischrman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
I think the new starter is sticking engaged. The quick test is to hold the brake and pop it into gear (forward or reverse) and see if the starter stops turning. If not, it's staying engaged due to a mechanical not electrical problem. (When the nose bushing in the starter goes bad it will do that)

Ok so I'm having this problem.. I haven't started my eagle in 4 yrs.  it started fine then.. I replaced the solenoid when I turn the key the starter turns but won't stop even if I turn the key off.  I have to take the positive wire off.  Any thoughts?
1983 AMC Eagle wagon

Tf727/np229 conversion
2100 carb
Tfi
Front spacer/rear block lift

Future project:
-front and rear offroad bumpers
-stereo
-ACTUALLY this list never ends

Projects done:
-Max lift possible for non straight front axle eagle.
-tfi motor craft carb upgrade
-front fender and bumper alterations

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Did you mix up the wires at the top of the solenoid?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 01:08:10 AM »
That was my question either here or the other board. Blue wire goes to the "I" terminal.

Offline fischrman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
I switched them and it still did it.   I think I may try swapping solenoids.
1983 AMC Eagle wagon

Tf727/np229 conversion
2100 carb
Tfi

Future project:
-stereo

Projects done:

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 04:27:09 PM »
Then it's bad solenoid or broken ignition slider or battery is down one cell (I don't know why, but Ford starters HATE that!)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »
Wouldn't it want to start as soon as the key was put in if the slider was stuck?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »
Nope. There is a spring inside that pushes it back. Usually

Offline fischrman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
new batt     bought to just go buy another solenoid
1983 AMC Eagle wagon

Tf727/np229 conversion
2100 carb
Tfi

Future project:
-stereo

Projects done:

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »
Am I getting this right, the starter engages and engine starts running without the starter drive disengaging as soon as you move the key into the run position ?
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk