News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 07:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Far North Eagle  (Read 6597 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Far North Eagle
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:49:46 AM »
Well team I made the longest voyage of the lifted Eagle's career.  I live in Anchorage and sometimes have to work in Wasilla which is about a 50 mile drive from my house.  My family came to town and they wanted to see the sights which included Denali Park and Fairbanks.  To which I thought I'll go up and meet them after work, the AMC can go 50 miles so why not shatter that record.  Here are a few pics to get started from the adventure.  These are just from the digital camera.  I still use a 35mm for the good shots (don't judge me) and I'll post those when they get developed. 

All in all the car did well.  I had an oil leak which is now suddenly a lot worse and I had a tire to plug before I left which held on fine.  I realized the need to finish the 4x4 shifter hole in the floor to keep noise out.  However, the hoodie I used worked fin in the mean time ;) Over all the trip was close to 800 miles.

This is the Eagle at a stretch break by Nenana

Here she is bin Talkeetna with Denail (MT. McKinley) in the background

Here is Denali solo.  I love mountains so this was awe inspiring to me.  I see it often but it always amazes.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Far North Eagle
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
Glad you made it with only minor issues. Beautiful pics. My big dream is to drive one of my Eagles to Deadhorse, AK above the Arctic Circle. It would almost be a 10,000 mile round trip. The most I've done so far is a 4,000+ mile round trip when I recently went to NV. Unfortunately, the gas bill will be close to $2,500. I could fly first class round trip for much less than that, but it wouldn't be the same. I'd really like my starting point to be Key West, FL, but that would add even more fuel and time. Like I said, it's a dream. Maybe one day. Hope to see some of the 35mm pics.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »
Eaglefreek, let me know when you make this trip. Would be awesome to film it and do a documentary on the experience. Not to mention a great plug for the ol' Eagle! :)

mach1, weren't you trying to sell this Eagle? I guess you haven't had any bites? It must be awesome driving that thing around Alaska. I had the opportunity to go to Alaska for about 2 weeks a couple years ago. Was staying in Whittier, AK. The northern most port that doesn't freeze over in the winter. I got to see Denali, was a really great trip!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »
Glad you made it with only minor issues. Beautiful pics. My big dream is to drive one of my Eagles to Deadhorse, AK above the Arctic Circle. It would almost be a 10,000 mile round trip. The most I've done so far is a 4,000+ mile round trip when I recently went to NV. Unfortunately, the gas bill will be close to $2,500. I could fly first class round trip for much less than that, but it wouldn't be the same. I'd really like my starting point to be Key West, FL, but that would add even more fuel and time. Like I said, it's a dream. Maybe one day. Hope to see some of the 35mm pics.

I have this trip planned for next summer.  I have pushed my vacation time this summer already and need to save some for this Christmas time so I can go back to lovely California.  I have made the drive up to Prudoe Bay before but I was on my motorcycle.  If your dream becomes a reality in a year let me know and I would love to coordinate and head up in a caravan. 

Eaglefreek, let me know when you make this trip. Would be awesome to film it and do a documentary on the experience. Not to mention a great plug for the ol' Eagle! :)

mach1, weren't you trying to sell this Eagle? I guess you haven't had any bites? It must be awesome driving that thing around Alaska. I had the opportunity to go to Alaska for about 2 weeks a couple years ago. Was staying in Whittier, AK. The northern most port that doesn't freeze over in the winter. I got to see Denali, was a really great trip!

I was trying but nothing serious so far.  It is hard to let go of it and the interest I have had up here is essentially kids that want to drive it into the ground for fun.  I don't want that to happen. 

Be careful with that Alaska vacation stuff.  I did my motorcycle trip up here from California 4 years ago and I live here now :) 
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:53:31 AM »
Here are a few more pics

Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
You had an unlucky number of Good Eggs so I added one.  Lots of thanks for sharing the trip with us.
A few hundred years ago, or so it seems, I crewed on a friend's shrimp boat on Katchimak Bay out of Homer.  I always wanted to go back, but not necessarily to crew on a shrimp boat in winter! ;D
I wanted to drive the ALCAN in winter and see the start of the Iditarod race.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »
Glad you made it with only minor issues. Beautiful pics. My big dream is to drive one of my Eagles to Deadhorse, AK above the Arctic Circle.

If your dream becomes a reality in a year let me know and I would love to coordinate and head up in a caravan.  

This is a dream of mine as well. I would seriously consider joining you for such a trip. What's another few thousand miles to get from here to your place? Tis all good!

A thousand miles takes about 20 hours of drive time and $150 in gas. The round trip would take me a little less than 10K miles. That's 200 hours of driving and $1500 in gas. I would afford myself three weeks and 5 grand for such a trip, which is reasonable for as long as I have this job at sea. I can actually take off work for that long easily.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:43:32 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:48:29 AM »
Glad you made it with only minor issues. Beautiful pics. My big dream is to drive one of my Eagles to Deadhorse, AK above the Arctic Circle.

If your dream becomes a reality in a year let me know and I would love to coordinate and head up in a caravan.  

This is a dream of mine as well. I would seriously consider joining you for such a trip. What's another few thousand miles to get from here to your place? Tis all good!

A thousand miles takes about 20 hours of drive time and $150 in gas. The round trip would take me a little less than 10K miles. That's 200 hours of driving and $1500 in gas. I would afford myself three weeks and 5 grand for such a trip, which is reasonable for as long as I have this job at sea. I can actually take off work for that long easily.

Tell ya what guys,  You can crash at my place in anchorage if you want before we head up.  I have 2 spare bed rooms and plenty of tent space in the back yard.  If we are serious lets make it happen. 
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

nezerach

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
Nice pics!! Definatly a good place to stomp about in an eagle.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »
I have another pic to post.  After my dad got his film developed my sister sent me this pic.  It would be an awesome pic if I wasn't ruining the shot by being in it. 

Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
I can't find the pics of my '80 wagon in Prudhoe back in '86. The Haul road changed a LOT since I drove it in a convoy back in '79 with an M715 in early winter (we got out before the snow seriously started)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk