News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 03:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 57968 times)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
Things are starting to pick up pace. Finished installing all of the headlights and replacing my drivers side headlight bucket; the original one was falling apart. Also bought two center caps for my spoke hubcaps since two are missing and a black leather key chain with the  :amc: logo with Eagle under it. Hope to have her back on the road in a week or two or whenever our kitchen renovation is almost done.

Have also been chasing away wasps eager to build nests on my drivers door, driver and passenger fender, and passenger side taillight.  >:(
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »
Great news! My Eagle is very close to being back on the road!   :blob1:  I got both the intake and exhaust manifolds installed and started to instal the new Carter Carburetor from Gronk. Now all that needs to be done is finish up the carb and instal the new catalytic converter to the pipe that connects that to the manifold. Then do a little brake work and then it is roadworthy once again! Can not wait to start driving it.  8)
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »
Awesome!
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »
Just got a NOS 1986 AMC Eagle brochure in the mail today from the bay. It has a lot of neat information that will be great for my AMC info binder I plan on making. Also learned what features on my car were standard or optional and that my eagle can tow up to 3500 pounds. Hope to at least get the engine in my car running tomorrow. On a side note; my insurance costs will be nowhere near as expensive as I originally anticipated.  :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »
I've ordered a honey colored cargo cover for my eagle and it looks brand new! That will be on it's way sometime soon. I also am trying to get a Class 3 trailer hitch for my eagle as well. Haven't been able to work on my car recently just because New Jersey is getting hit with a pretty good heat wave (high 90's on one day).  :o

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Update: Things have been going a bit slow for getting my eagle back on the road. Another project I have has taken top priority on my to do list. I will have it running properly by the time the fall term starts in late August-early September. It's been sitting for too long now in my books. I also am starting my stockpile of parts with a stop and shift 4WD switch, a brake pedal pad, a throttle cable with mounting bracket, and four used but nice AMC emblems.  :) Here are photos of my spare parts. The 4WD switch is in the for sale section since I have the shift on the fly switch.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:35:49 PM by EagleJoe93 »

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 07:32:31 AM »
Best of luck getting it up and running before the semester starts.  I hope you won't need it to get from and to school.  I remember those days of relying on an older vehicle as a DD for college.

...Class 3 trailer hitch for my eagle as well....

Since the Eagle does not use frame-on construction, I wouldn't think a class III hitch would be a good idea.  Those that have used their Eagle for pulling a trailer can speak from experience where I cannot.  But since it uses a subframe unibody design, I wouldn't expect it to be safe for anything past a class I hitch, possible a class II.

I'm only raising a red flag out of concern for your safety.  I'm sure someone on here can quote exactly what the Eagle is rated at towing wise.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »
Well I actually will be using it as a daily driver.  ::) I hope someday to register it as a historic vehicle but that day may be a while. According to the brochure I have; Eagles are rated for class 1 and 2 for up to 3500 pounds. I just would like a trailer hitch of some sort because my eagle is a lot better than out two minivans for pulling our small trailer.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
Great news!!! After sitting for about seven or eight months, my Eagle was started for the first time since I bought it!  :blob1: It started on the first try and wasn't stalling out ten seconds after it was started!  :) Boy was it good to hear it running finally. It still is not roadworthy though, I most likely will need a new master cylinder from what it seems like. You may see me post a wanted ad for some things I need or would like sometime soon. I also recently received some door bushings so sometime soon I will fix my sagging drivers door. All in all it was a big step in getting my Eagle ready for the road.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
UHaul sold a Class III hitch for Concord/Eagle models. I have one and have been meaning to compile the specs for it for sometime now so that it can be reproduced.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
I'd be happy with just a picture of it, Ben. I'm betting Uhaul made their hitch to mount on the side of the subframe instead of below it and then tied into those two big bumper bolts and the hole behind them. In other words I bet the mounting bolts sit horizontally instead of vertical like an XJ hitch.

I used an XJ one. The XJ one worked perfect except for the drilling of the bolt holes. The width of the Eagle subframe is exactly the same as an XJ. In an Eagle you have the rear bumper support that sticks into the back of the car with a huge bolt holding it on, however. Even though the horizontal metal with the holes line up perfectly it's difficult to drill the holes themselves. I just drilled through it and put through bolts through the entire subframe, with the Hexhead hidden under the rug. It's hard to drill through a pipe inside a square bore. The next one I do I'll remove the rear bumper first, drill the holes, then mark the tube through the holes and remove it again to be drilled on a drill press. Those extra steps would have kept me from breaking two drill bits in the process.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:10:46 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
Today was a good day. Finished getting the exhaust system in with a brand new catalytic converter and connecting pipe. Started it up again and it ran for a solid ten minutes without stalling! There is still a vacuum leak somewhere and for some reason the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster wasn't working. Any thoughts?  ??? Next step is to bleed the brakes. Chances are a new master cylinder is needed. After that put the new door bushing in and I'm good to go!  :)

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »
First thing to check about the temp gauge is to make sure the sensor is in place.  It's near the firewall next to the valve cover behind the carb.  I used to knock mine off periodically when reaching down into that morass of wires and hoses and .....stuff.
It's just an electrical connector that perches on top of the sensor, sometimes not as snugly as we would like.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
Thanks jim; will look around there next time me and my dad are working on it.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
Went to a swap meet and although I didn't find any parts that I needed; I did find an owners manual for my car! Also got a 1980 AMC Spirit/Concord/Eagle brochure as well as some various emblems and tools.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:36:19 PM by EagleJoe93 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk