News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 01, 2024, 03:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: jeep truck wont stay running  (Read 2543 times)

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
jeep truck wont stay running
« on: February 11, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
i have a friend with an 83 jeep pickup and it will only run if the key is held in the start position... once its released the truck shuts off. he tried another key cylinder and it does the same thing. any ideas???

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: jeep truck wont stay running
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:43:18 AM »
  Don't know if the 83 has a resister block located somewhere on the left side of the engine compartment, but if it is weak or comes unpluged, it'll do the same, been there done that.  It looks just like the old style one's Chrysler used before.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
wire is built into the harness. If you go to NAPA (or cross reference this part elsewhere) and get an ICR12 resistor, you can put it inline with any switched full 12vdc power to the + on the coil and it'll run.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
 Mine is on the left fender front, right where you bump it and nock the wires off of it. I seem some mounted closer to the firewall on the same side.  Looks lie a white porclain block with two wire terminals on it, bolted to the fender well just under the hood line.

If the wires come loose or are off, it'll start but won't stay running unless you hold it in the start possion, look out starter!!

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
hey thanks guys, when i talk to him again i will suggest that to him. sounds like a common enough problem to be diagnosed quickly.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:34:52 AM »
Mine is on the left fender front, right where you bump it and nock the wires off of it. I seem some mounted closer to the firewall on the same side.  Looks lie a white porclain block with two wire terminals on it, bolted to the fender well just under the hood line.

If the wires come loose or are off, it'll start but won't stay running unless you hold it in the start possion, look out starter!!

That sounds like a Comanche. The Jtrucks didn't come stock that way.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk