News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:15:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: good experience at oriellys  (Read 15655 times)

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Re: good experience at oriellys
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
I think I know where you're coming from.   Most parts persons rely way too much on the screen and if it's not apparent "it must not exist." Bearings and seals are a perfect example.  But I can tell you that the computer has made the counterperson's life much easier and transactions far more accurate, and in my case, legible! :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
  A good parts man will grab the book before  the computer!!

You see this is exactly what I am talking about.  Giving a the parts guys a hard time.  There are certain things that the books are better for but I think most parts people will tell you if there is a mis-print in the book it is also in the computer.  It is not a perfect tool but it is a very, very, very good tool.   
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
Something to remember though, in certain circumstances, there is no book to look at. The only tool given is the computer.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 11:06:46 PM »
I have PLENTY of proof the computer, book AND the wingnuts who are supposed to update them are wrong on many occasions, but they won't accept it. I get the "the book doesn't say that and even though you have a certified email from the manufacturer and aftermarket supplier, we cannot change it" My fav was the wrong Fram listing (when I worked for Schmucks before Oreally took over) "According to the '99 book, that filter we list is correct for an '01" Umm, no. It isn't since the book was printed long before the '01 vehicle came out. (They REALLY hate it when you use common sense!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »
Something to remember though, in certain circumstances, there is no book to look at. The only tool given is the computer.

The book versus computer debate is kind of like saying people who watch Beta tapes are better movie connoisseurs than people who watch Blue Ray. 

The industry has changed and it is not going back.  Books are expensive to print and they are obsolete as soon as they are made.  Computers can be updated daily and they are cheap to operate.  Many manufactures are not even printing catalogs yearly anymore for that reason.  Many of my suppliers are working hard on websites that have all of this information.  As shaggimo said, sometimes it is not only your best tool but also your only tool. 

My other gripe is the speed factor.  Catalogs, checking the shelf, price sheets and had written tickets are fun and all but the bottom line is that takes easily twice as long to do as computer catalogs with inventory control.  Everyone think of how long you can wait in line before you get tired of waiting. 

[quote  It is not a perfect tool but it is a very, very, very good tool.   

its only a good tool WHEN IT WORKS!!! a few times i have gone in, and their satalite, or what ever they use for system comunications has been down. you cant look up parts, unless you got a GOOD parts guy who KNOWS how to use a book. you cant pay for anything unless you have CASH!! even some places, you cant even pay cash, because the computer systems completely quit if there is no comunication with the main company server or what ever its called.

[/quote] 

This is a huge complaint of mine being a manager.  EVERY single store of any kind has the ability to go "old school" if need be.  I have busted so many of my employees telling customers "we cant take debit" "we cant check the warehouse" "we cant ring up anything."  This is a work ethic and motivation issue.... which is a complete other thread because those are things that seem like they are going extinct. 
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 11:53:05 PM »
When our interstore goes down, you can't even call the warehouse to check if a part is available unless it happens M-F 10 am to 4 pm
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 04:15:43 AM »
I worked for an independent NAPA for about 2.5 years.  One of my worst days ever in the parts world was a power outage day.  The power went out at the store but thankfully we had battery backups for all the terminals up front.  Unfortunately the owners didn't have the foresight to battery backup the main server that houses the parts catalog.  The battery backups for the phones were working so the wholesale calls kept pumping in and about 90% of the business done out of this store was wholesale.  We had no computers to look things up quickly, had hand written invoices, and did all this by flashlight.  Jobber price sheets (old school I know) were also obsolete and the owner felt it irresponsible to share with us the costs on parts because it is "none of our business."  We had to call a neighboring store and ask them what they charged for the parts.

The worst part for me was the guy that worked to my right would make chit chat with customers that came in about since he is old and has been in parts forever he knows how to use the books, make calls etc.  Then he would say "not like these young guys" and gesture to me.  After 8 hours in the dark the power came on and I had 40 manual invoices to transfer to electronic in the computer.  My neighbor had...8.  So much for the young kids not being able to handle it :)
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 01:18:53 AM »
Hey you whipper snapper! The "geezer" from my store passed away (he worked on Model As when they were new) and now I ARE the geezer! (even older than the owner!)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 01:35:13 AM »
Hey you whipper snapper! The "geezer" from my store passed away (he worked on Model As when they were new) and now I ARE the geezer! (even older than the owner!)

I used to joke with that guy about the advantages of being an old guy vs. a young guy.  He told me he had more part numbers memorized than I ever will.  I told him I could check 3 books and make a phone call to find it before he could dig that info out of his failing brain :)
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline JustinS

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thief River Falls, MN
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »

You see this is exactly what I am talking about.  Giving a the parts guys a hard time.  There are certain things that the books are better for but I think most parts people will tell you if there is a mis-print in the book it is also in the computer.  It is not a perfect tool but it is a very, very, very good tool.   

If you're ever in Advance for U-Joints, and the counterman goes by the computer, run.  Their system is flawed in that regard.  Anytime a customer mentioned the word in my store, the first thing I did was grab the book!
Justin S.

-1972 Plymouth Gold Duter 225ci                     
-1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback SBC (Gator)          -1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2L (Red)
-1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 258ci (Seagle)                -1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L (The Wife's)

Click for Thief_River_Falls, MN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »

If you're ever in Advance for U-Joints, and the counterman goes by the computer, run.  Their system is flawed in that regard.  Anytime a customer mentioned the word in my store, the first thing I did was grab the book!

Ujoints are one of those parts that is a straight to the book situation for me.  I used to punch in the vehicle into the computer then pull the book to verify.  Then I had the vehicle info saved and the stockign quantity in front of me too.  Comes with experience I guess. 
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »
I have been involved in parts procurement for a fleet, and it is no fun. Part of the job was inventory control i.e. don't go overbudget for any reason. I regularly dealt with 45-day lead times and back orders.

That being said, you parts people on this forum have my respect.  :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk