News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 03:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project FREEagle  (Read 25073 times)

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
Re: Project FREEagle
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
Nothing quite like a free Eagle.  Hopefully it doesn't have to turn into a parts car though.

If you hit a dead end with obtaining a title, maybe you'll luck out and find a rustbucket '83 wagon with a clean title... I'll let your imagination take it from there.  ;)

Let's just say it's not too difficult to R&R a dash, and door stickers have a habit of becoming illegible over time...
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »
Don't ask, don't tell.......... :hiding:
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
I can't read a single door sticker of mine.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:14:34 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

rohnk

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2011, 03:10:25 PM »
Update Rafe! Update!  ;D

Prafeston

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
Update Rafe! Update!  ;D

I haven't really touched it since removing the trim.

I've emailed and called the PO and haven't gotten a hold of him...I'm reluctant to put any money into it if I can't obtain the title.

Not sure what my options are from here. Might have to part out or sell as a whole. The vacuum and electrical stuff in the engine bay looks like a mess. Would probably be a good candidate to have a 4.0 motor swap.

I'm also thinking about putting my Carter on Freeagle once I get the Motorcraft installed. I at least know that one is in good enough shape to make a car run! :) From there it would just be tracking down all the vacuum lines and making sure all the electrical stuff is ok...there are a lot of plugs that don't seem to be plugged in over by the battery...which I'll also need to pick up as Freeagle didn't come with a battery.

Oh, and I might have to get in there and swap out the radio and center gauge pods.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 05:07:37 PM »
Bonding for a title isn't that huge of a deal either, just takes time. 
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
Bonding for a title isn't that huge of a deal either, just takes time. 

I think that is called a "lien sale" around here.  It takes a couple months total to complete.   I had to have it done to a Mercedes that I got a while back.   The title was in the name of 2 owners previous (not the guy I got it from), and I could not contact them to sign it over.  I went to my local title clearing service, and paid $35.00 for the service (+ registration fees).  A little less than two months later, a clear title was in hand.   The car could not be driven during that time, but I am sure you won't have that problem if you do a lien sale.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »
You should check to see what the regulations are regarding a lost title in your state.  In Colorado, if a car is over 25 years old, all you really need to start the process is a bill of sale from the previous owner.  There are a couple steps like a VIN verification and they check to see that the car isn't registered to anyone, but that's about it.  Or maybe the previous owner could go through the lost title process.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Prafeston

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
Swapped out my battery in from TQ into Freeagle today just to see what it would do if I tried to start it. Turns over, but sounds like the starter is missing some teeth. It's skipping around. I tried turning the key maybe 6 or 7 times and 2 or 3 times it sounded pretty good like it was going to catch. So I might just purchase a new starter and go from there.

Still no word or any communication for that matter about the title.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »
Pull the old starter out first and take a look at it and have it tested. I would guess the flywheel teeth are damaged before the starter teeth.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »
Pull the old starter out first and take a look at it and have it tested. I would guess the flywheel teeth are damaged before the starter teeth.

The flywheel will be a lot harder to get out than the starter right? Is the flywheel in the transmission?

That's good advice. I should remove the old starter and check it before buying a new one. So, how would I have it tested? Can I just take it apart and check the teeth out?

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2012, 04:16:51 AM »
Its a good 6 hour job to replace the flexplate....Its not real technical but its certainly labor intensive, especially without a transmission jack.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »
I would think - ( and somehow I remember doing this ) but maybe not on an AMC - unbolting the converter , pushing it in towards the tranny and unbolting the flexplate from the crank and dropping it down through the acess plate............maybe I am dreaming..........??I seem to remember a dust shield and a bell housing cover plate.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »
I would think - ( and somehow I remember doing this ) but maybe not on an AMC - unbolting the converter , pushing it in towards the tranny and unbolting the flexplate from the crank and dropping it down through the acess plate............maybe I am dreaming..........??I seem to remember a dust shield and a bell housing cover plate.

would not work on an eagle.

Manitowoc WI

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
I had an old 72 Ford Torino back in the dark ages that had only a partial bellhousing, and you could do that, slide the torque converter into the trans & get the flex plate out...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk