News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 01:23:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 83 Eagle SW down again-Ignition switch?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline mramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
83 Eagle SW down again-Ignition switch?
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
83 Eagle SW down again-Ignition switch?

My Eagle  SW is down again. Not a big deal as it's starting to hit triple digits in Southern Nevada again , so I won't be using it for awhile as I'm not fixing the A/C on it. I would like to move the poor thing under it's own power however. I thought it was the neutral safety switch , as if I giggled the shift or used neutral it did start a few more times. So, I changed out the neutral safety switch. I had a hard time finding it , as it was so covered in grease and hidden behind the front drive shaft. That had no ,effect. I charged up the battery too, so that not it either. My thinking now is that it's the column mounted ignition switch. Unless I just happened to get a BAD neutral safety switch. If there is one BAD part out of 100 on the shelf, the BAD one is Usually the one I get. There are only 3 or 4 parts I've not replaced, the ignition switch, starter seloniod , starter, and starter to solenoid cable.  The motor , transmission, and rear  end seem to be OK. And I don't really have enough interest to get the 4WD system up and working, as there are just too many broken and disconnected vacuum lines and parts. I'm thinking ignition switch. I'm running out of parts to change. Any one else have a better idea ? LRDaum

Smitch

Re: 83 Eagle SW down again-Ignition switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »
You could try bypassing the neutral safety switch to find out if that is the problem before you spend much more money on it.

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
turn the ignition to the "run" position and jump the solenoid. that should get it started so that you can move it around
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline mramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »
The neutral safety switch was not that expensive, espically since I could at one time giggle the shifter and get it to start that way. The hard part was finding the darn switch under all the old dirt and grease behind the front drive shaft. I did try and jump the seloniod with Zero results, so unless the solenoid is the problem I'm still thinking ignition switch, but like I said I am running out of parts to change, that I've not already replaced on the poor old Eagle. Seems according to the service manual the solenoid is a bit different then the standard "FORD" type for some reason. LRDaum

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
The solenoid grounds through the neutral safety switch. The wire is on the bottom of the solenoid. Grounding that screw will let the solenoid work without the neutral safety switch. You can check to see that there is continuity between the wire and ground,if there is the neutral safety switch and wiring should be good. The "S" terminal is the one closest to the battery terminal, shorting from the battery terminal to the "S" terminal should activate the solenoid and the starter, if the ground is good. If the solenoid works by jumping but not with the switch the switch circuit is bad.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:46:47 PM by Eagleearl »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk