News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 02:26:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ole Blue  (Read 15351 times)

Alcology

Ole Blue
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
I keep eyeballing the project threads and am very impressed by everyone's hard work and solid skills yet also envious of not starting my own thread.  So here it is!  The wagon is an 88 with 150k+ miles on it that I scooped up for cheeps.  It's been snoozing for the last year at a relatives place, but I finally have some space to bring it to me and get cracking.  There was some good weather today so I decided to check out the metal on the outside.  I removed the plastic, trim, and bumpers.  The grill is cracked, but minor, and one of the headlight trim pieces is as well.  

I got some rust!  Not as bad as I dreaded but it's bad.  The aluminum bumpers corroded around the bolts and will need attention.  Just about everywhere under the plastic is rust.    I'm still not entirely sure of final plans, but this may end up an altered eagle.  

Here is a hint: http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/home.php

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:41:34 PM by Alcology »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Ole Blue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »
None of the pictures show up for me.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:37 AM »
None of the pictures show up for me.
same here.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Steve F

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
Same here. I think he moved his photobucket pics around and now needs to re-establish the links for us.

Alcology

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
That is exactly what happened!

Offline Steve F

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »
Alcology thanks for fixing the links.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
I have seen much worse rust.  How is the underbody where the biggest concerns crop up?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
Looks like a good fixer-upper you got there!  An electric car maybe?  I'd have to see that! Good luck.
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Alcology

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
I have seen much worse rust.  How is the underbody where the biggest concerns crop up?

The underbody is better shape than the red one you can see in some of the pics.  I've started taking out the interior and found some more rust in all the old places.  I touched one spot on the rear of the hatch area and my hand went right through the floor.  I wanted to get the passenger side front seat out, but I need a deeper socket to get the last bolt up in the left rear.  The drivers side right rear bolt looks really hard to reach up behind the differential, but maybe a socket link might reach.  Anyone have any experience with that?  Here are some more pics of what I've found. 

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:48:05 AM »
I hope you the best of luck. Maybe my thread about my distressed eagle may help your project. Got alot of progress for cheap. http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=32677.0
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Alcology

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »
Thanks maximus, your thread has lots of useful info!

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »
Man you ain't playin around!  You're gettin right down to business on this restoration!  Can't wait to see more!
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Alcology

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »
I spent some more time this weekend fooling around.  I took a bunch of the interior trim out and removed the headliner, roof rack, and roof trim.  There was mouse poop up on the headliner.  Those guys get everywhere!  I have one stuck bolt on the drivers seat and unfortunately it's the one behind the transfer case.  I think I can get it free but it's been raining all week and the ground is still damp.  I didn't feel like getting all mudded up today.  I worked some on the dash, but I want to get the front seat out first to have a little bit more room to maneuver.  The parcel shelf is now out though. 

I now see why the doors have trouble with the handles.  It looks like the linkage is sloppy and the springs are worn out.  Everything is electric and I don't know if I'll be keeping it that way or not.  All the motors would need a refresh and I'm not sure how to do that, but it might be worth looking into. 

I invested in a cheap car cover from autozone.  The wagon size house brand works fine!  It was about $25 too. 

Alcology

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »
Everything is out of the car except for the drivers seat and the steering wheel.  There is a stripped bolt holding the drivers seat in up behind the transfer case.  I'll probably work on taking the t-case out and then split the nut. 

If I remove the rear axle, is it OK to leave the car on jack stands from the rear jack points?  Should I put supports in the middle of the car somewhere as well?

Alcology

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »
Got some more done on the car!  I took the rubber trim off the sides and on one side the paint was super fresh underneath.  It looks all wrinkly but it's a reflection of some pavement next to the car.  That color will be back soon.  That bit off plastic trim above the rear bumper is held on with rivets.  Do these come off easily?  Also, I found a surprise in the hatch.  Is that a hatch release solenoid?  And how does that normally get activated?  What is the box next to the solenoid?

My camera died so I used my cell phone.  I think my cell phone takes better pictures!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
Rivets are not natural from what I have seen

Manitowoc WI

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »
That bit of plastic trim above the rear bumper is held on with rivets.  Do these come off easily?  Also, I found a surprise in the hatch.  Is that a hatch release solenoid?  And how does that normally get activated?  What is the box next to the solenoid?

I always just drill those rivets out.  You can find a suitably sized set of nuts and bolts to use in their place when reassembly time comes.

As for the solenoid, that's an interesting find.  Is there a button in the glove box for activation?
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
I know it's a late wagon but you're getting rust in rather unusual places compared to my early Eagle. Where has this car been sitting and for how long? I'm having trouble believing some parts are rusted that bad.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Alcology

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Sounds good about drilling those rivets out.  I didn't know if there was an easier way.  I just checked the glove box and it's been drilled out with a dremel in the spot where the the glove box light sits.  I must have missed it when I was pulling everything apart (most likely!) or the switch was either not there or just fell in.  It looks like the metal around the solenoid was cut out with a wheel or something. 

As for the location Daemonforce, I live in massachusetts.  This car has been kicking around mass for awhile.  The PO I bought it from used and abused it for a year.  The previous PO apparently did a lot of work to the car according to the tow truck driver who I got as he had made the previous delivery.  He was a bit sad about the condition it was in compared to how it was when he dropped it off.  When I pulled out the back seat there was safety glass all under the seat.  Cars underbodies tend to suffer a lot around here.  Too much salt on the roads.

Alcology

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 10:05:58 PM »
So I'd like to start with: I'm a goober.  What I thought was the hatch pop solenoid, is the rear wiper motor!  Woops.  Rather funny since I was so excited.  I really don't know why the glove compartment has a hole cut out now.  Maybe there are machine guns or a smoke screen or a secret cash generator.  I won't hold my breath.  I got a little more done with removing the drivers seat.  The front right corner was super rusty and jammed up.  Its location up above the transfer case looked like it made it more likely to get covered in crap and rust on.  It took about 4 hours to get unstuck!  I stripped the bolt a little bit, unfortunately.  I ended up using a combination of a metric size 12 and a bolt splitter.  My bolt splitter is a POS and is trash, but it was enough to create some grooves to hammer on the size 12 metric socket to remove the bolt.  Also, a good dose of ATF/acetone to try to loosen things up a little bit.  So crazy, but there was more than farts buried under that seat (I couldn't resist, apologies) there was solid floor pan and more change!  I really expected this to be messed up since it was collecting water even before I removed the roof rack, creating more holes.  Here is what the front floor looks like.

I also removed the transmission (automatic), transfer case, and radiator.  I am extremely tired of carrying transmissions and transfer cases down stairs.  I think I have to invest in a dolly.  The radiator had some trouble as one of the trans fluid cooling lines was super rusty and while I was trying to unscrew it, bent the radiator and made a hole in it!  Rather irritating, as it was fine to start with.  Lesson learned I suppose.  The radiator, messed up as it is, and the fuel tank (no holes, but not that nice) will be for sale soon.  I've started removing what I can from the engine bay.  Should I bother trying to contain the R12 from the air conditioning or just vent it?  It worries me because it's so nasty, but then again, I'm pretty cheap so it could be really expensive to try to remove it correctly.  Based on what I've read, most members have just vented it. 

Next up is to finish removing the extraneous bits from the engine bay and get some sort of lift to get the engine out.  I'm aiming to get everything out before the weather gets too nasty.  It's already snowed once, but I think it will hold off for awhile.  All the steering and suspension is incredibly nasty.  I don't know how much I can salvage, but hopefully the large pieces can be salvaged. 

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 10:55:26 AM »
Hang in there,you'll get it!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »
The front floorboards look pretty good. 

Just keep at it, focus on short term goals and ignore the big picture and you'll get it done.

Alcology

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »
Heh, thanks eagleman and priya.  I just read your reply in your thread priya about shirt term goals, and that's what it's all about.

Alcology

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »
I don't know if anyone has a solution, but hopefully some advice is floating around!  I've got 3 stuck seatbelt bolts, torx 50.  I've ruined 2 torx bits trying to get them out.  I've tried an impact driver too.  I've used a whole bunch of penetrants including the ATF/acetone mix to no avail.  Anyone have any idea on how to get these out?

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
Heat will be your freind, carefully of course. Don't heat the bolt, heat where it threads in. If you don't have a rugular torch, a mapgass type will do, just takes a bit longer, might want a spotter handy watching under the car.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Alcology

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »
I'll give that a shot, thanks.  Is it ok to heat the sheet metal from the bottom?  The seat belts and trim are in the way from the top

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »
I would say your better off from the bottom. You still need a fire watch. Maybe soak the carpet first, better yet pull it back.

Manitowoc WI

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
I too have a stuck seat belt bolt.  I have been reluctant to apply heat, but I suppose I'll have to.  Someone suggested a wet towel on the carpet to protect it.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online juhap

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »
I used a special drill bit to make small hole in the middle of the bolt. Then I drilled with bigger bit. Didn´t care about that welded bolt under the floor. Use a new bolt with new nut when put things back. No heat needed, no fire, just TLC...

Here it is...

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/jpihkanen/eagle/003-1.jpg
American 440 Hardtop, American 220 2d (x2), American 330 4 d, American 330 Cross Country(x2), American F/EX Gasser, AMC Eagle STW (x4), AMC Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini(2x), Hornet 2d (x3), Willys Jeepster 1950, Jeep Cherokee 2d, Rogue 1966-SCRambler Replica
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465938  eagle
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465930   american
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263025   american HT

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »
I'll give that a shot, thanks.  Is it ok to heat the sheet metal from the bottom?  The seat belts and trim are in the way from the top
  After you heat it, beat on it with a hammer, mite help to loosen it. Good luck

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
What I find helps with stuck bolts is to sandblast clean the exposed threads and then apply penetrating oil.  My husband says this is a no-no, but I do it anyway and it usually works for me.

Alcology

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Luckily I have no carpet left, so very very slim chance of fire.  But the plastic trim on the seatbelt could start to melt I guess.  Thanks for the other suggestions as well.  I don't have air, so sandblasting is out for the moment.  Drilling it will be second try!  The weather was perfect today, but I just picked up a used car as a DD/errands runner and I used the time to use a carpet cleaner on it.  Some icky icky stuff came out, I would suggest definitely taking the time to do it!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »
I second the drilling it out.  fast and simple.  You will retain some strength vs torching it out.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Alcology

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
The torching will do that much damage?  Either is fine by me, but torching just seemed easier

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
Heat = weakened metal.Just be careful.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Alcology

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
I've been busy with other things, so I haven't had a chance to drill those bolts yet.  However, another piece of the puzzle has been found.  An electric oven.  Might seem strange, but I've been searching for a cheap/free one for several months.  Tough to find!  Finally got one nearby for what I was willing to spend (not very much!)  I plan on powder-coating as much of the suspension as possible and the oven is the key.  I plan on repainting the car the same dark blue.  Here is my question:  Semi-gloss black or white?  Powder price is the same.  I will only be doing this once (hopefully!) so I would like to have a good color for the powder coat.  What do you think?  Consider driving a car with a white undercarriage or semi-gloss black and looking at one.  Which do you prefer?  I'm on the fence, but leading towards semi-gloss black because the white would be picking up dirt like a rodeo clown. 

Alcology

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
End of an era!  Life comes around tough.  I gotta get rid of this project.  I'm saving all I can from it, which is pretty much everything, so it will be for sale to help someone else.  If anyone is in mass and wants a 258 or eagle body with some rusty parts, come and get it!  I'm in somerville, ma.  If I don't hear anything, I'll be snagging the valve cover and maybe the oil pan to pass onto someone else.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
This is one Eagle I would like to save, but its just a little too far. I'll give it a safe resting place here if you or anyone in your area is headed down to my Solstice Meet in June. Its in Perkiomenville, ZIP 18074.

Its probably too late, but here is how I handle stuck seat belt bolts. I grind off the bolt flush to the bottom of the threaded square "nut" welded to the body. Between the heat of the grinder and the complete lack of old threads I've always been able to get the bolts off afterwards. I actually cut all of the bolts now for good measure to keep from breaking more Torx bits. I've broken countless T55 bits already.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:14:20 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Alcology

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
That does sound like a good way of doing it.  I think a tiny glimmer of hope appeared.  I've been trying to find garage space in the boston area to work on project cars and get a group of people together to make it work and bring down the price of renting space.  I just had someone send me an email about doing it.  If it looks promising, I'm willing to make some sacrifices.  By itself it's hard, I have 2 eagles and a subaru legacy DD.  Somethings gotta give!  I can only reasonably store the "good" eagle with relatives.  Maybe there will be a happy ending.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk