News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: project desert Eagle  (Read 43352 times)

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: project desert Eagle
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »
Ya I was thinking that because of how much driving Ill be doing with it. I want to get better gas mileage a well.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton non-dually regular cab-I miss that old truck :(.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon- My new daily driver that has started an AMC obsession

" It's an AMC thing... normal people wouldn't understand"

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »
I found the contact info. Don's Auto parts, (262) 658-3737, Caravelle blue, WR-1 amc engine paint, $9.99 a can. When I bought 6 cans I got a few bucks off per can and they take credit cards over the phone. Maybe the moderaters would want to archive this info or maybe even establish a discount vendor status. Could even take a poll and see who wants some and get a bulk discount. If we don't collectively buy stuff then no one will continue to stock stuff we need. Especially since this color was used on all of the less popular AMC cars. Not like the metallic color on the late 60's and early 70's Javs and amx's

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »
ok Ill order it here in a few days. toda I got rotors and pads for my 97 cutlass supreme SL. I will be driving this while fixing up my eagle. I need to go to the salvage yard thursday to get some bod parts and lights. My yonger brother rearended his friend so now stuff needs fixed. i just got front rotors and pads so itll beable to stop decently. Does anyone happen to know what the torque spec is on Aluminum rims for a 97 cutlass supreme SL? They are the factory rims.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 11:56:36 PM »
One of the mech's I work with used to be a by the book kind of guy until a customers car lost an aluminum wheel, due to him using GM's recomended torque spec. I also have lost a factory alloy wheel due to using recomended torque specs......Now, I use the german torque wrench..... 1/2" Breaker bar tighten until my elbow clicks, then I know it's GUTENTITE......
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 02:57:59 AM »
One of the mech's I work with used to be a by the book kind of guy until a customers car lost an aluminum wheel, due to him using GM's recomended torque spec. I also have lost a factory alloy wheel due to using recomended torque specs......Now, I use the german torque wrench..... 1/2" Breaker bar tighten until my elbow clicks, then I know it's GUTENTITE......

LOL! That's awesome man!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 03:58:02 AM »
I guess the german way is the way to go.I do stuff by the books for right now cuz im in school to work on cars. Ill have to look through some books here to find out what the recomended torque is just to be safe and then go from there. Im going to be going to the salvage yard today( its 3:52 AM and i just got off work sleep is lookin pretty good right now) to get those body parts. ill have to load up the eagle with them ad yes i will take pictures because I will hopefully have most of a front clip for a cutlass in and on top of it. It was either use the eagle or my friends 80 something Dodge Omni. i still have not gotten a garage yet cuz of time and school. i may try to get it this week before I go home but I doubt it. this is taking longer than I thought it would but some things will take a while but will be worth it n the end.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:55 AM »
Nothing new so far. turns out the caliper pistons were extended too far out and have to be replaced. I couldnt get those this past weekend and I didnt have the torx bit i needed to take off this one bolt that was pretty much holding it all togther. thanks GM for torx bolts lol! I did however price out new brake stuff for the eagle. I will be getting that here soon. Hopefully i caan get this engine soon aswell.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:21 PM »
Nothing new so far. turns out the caliper pistons were extended too far out and have to be replaced. I couldnt get those this past weekend and I didnt have the torx bit i needed to take off this one bolt that was pretty much holding it all togther. thanks GM for torx bolts lol! I did however price out new brake stuff for the eagle. I will be getting that here soon. Hopefully i caan get this engine soon aswell.

That was going to be my next question for ya! I have to keep "sticky fingers" off of it out here!! LOL! Nah it's not that bad... had stop my brother the day though when when out there and started pulling out the tools to steal the air compressor, LOL! It'll be here man! I may even just bring it to you if you can cover gas... and maybe some burger king too... been craving some burger king for like two months now. The closest one is like 20 miles from here and I NEVER go out that way... I've been tempted to go there just for the burger... but cant get myself to waste the gas on a 5 minute pleasure....

...oh but all the things in life we men give up for 5 minute pleasures. We'll turn around when we're late for work to check out a passing by Eagle. We'll eat ramen noodles for a week just to afford to fund the projects... and then of course there's marriage.... LOL! J/k J/k
The AMC Eagle

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »
ya man Ive been trying to figure out how to get it here. My one friend said tonight he could drive out there to pick it up but it wouldn't be for at least 2-4 weeks due to the set back with his brand new engine. he swapped an LM3 into his 72 Chevy C10, he has all the stuff for it it was all done nice and neat right? well goes to start it nearly locks it up. stupid oil pump has something with it. everything is falling in line but a lot slower tHan I wanted. heck, i could meet you at the border-of Indiana and Illinois. Ya I would cover burger king man. funny that you mention that cuz we almost went there tonight for dinner cuz it was within walking distance, but due to the rain wind and INSANE amount of lightning( which almost ended my eagle when a bolt struck not far away. i have that 8 and 1/2 foot antenna on it) we went to Culver's instead. I also considered putting a hitch on the eagle but it doesn't have the tow package and with that engine knocking, even though I know it would tow it no problem, i could tow a small trailer with it on it. I'm also getting my other car going as well. only thing that was stopping me was that " brillant'' invention of torx bolts  ::). but what ever works best for your and mine schedule .

Offline Venosho

• Sterzinger Automotive
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:44 PM »
Harbor freight... has plenty of torx sets for a decent price... can get you through all your torx headaches.
Click for Phoenix, Arizona Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
'75 JEEP J20 401 quadra-track 4wd (The Beast)
'81 AMC Eagle (the Monster)
'82 AMC Eagle Limited (oem HEI upgrade) (Copper Bopper)
"82 AMC Eagle SX-4 (Baby Girl)
'85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE (drifter) 13b-T wide body kit project
'92 JEEP Cherokee Sport 4.0 HO (Mom's ride)

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 12:50:48 PM »
O I forgot to put that i had already gotten my torx bits. they are T60's. Im going to buy a set of them from Craftsman. I cant afford Snap on stuff right now even thugh Im going to have to break down and buy a torque wrench from them.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 01:22:35 PM »
Harbor Freight also has torque wrenches.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
Snap on is nice, but everything I own is Craftsman... you get what you pay for and I got tired of buying the same tools over and over. Craftsman may not be the best, but every Craftsman tool I own has outperformed my expectations.

Hey man, I'd bring it all the way if you can cover expenses... and actually I know someone that will be coming through Indy with a flatbed this weekend... hmm... if you can swing it... we may be able to have your engine there by like Sunday... let me talk it over with him before I go volunteering someone elses services, LOL!
The AMC Eagle

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
that works. I dont have a place to store it right now or an engine stand just let me know. i got n email coming your way

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
sounds good man. I sent him an email earlier... he's a cool guy to work with... as long as he's going through there on the way back, I'm sure he'll drop it off for ya pretty cheap. Just gott amake sure you have some way to get it off the trailer, lol! I could see about strapping it to a wood pallet if he can fit in on his flat bed. Then, if you have to.... get a guy on each corner and lift it off... and plan on some straining, LOL!
The AMC Eagle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk