News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 07:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 1300 dollar fixer upper surprise project  (Read 96983 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: The 1300 dollar fixer upper surprise project
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »
Right on man!! I'm glad that you found the problem. Vibrations are always scary to me....some vibrations are harmless while others are a a sign of serious problems....and they're so hard to diagnose sometimes. Worn bushings seem to be the culprit alot of the time.

Take care
shane
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2011, 12:27:52 AM »
Right on man!! I'm glad that you found the problem. Vibrations are always scary to me....some vibrations are harmless while others are a a sign of serious problems....and they're so hard to diagnose sometimes. Worn bushings seem to be the culprit alot of the time.

Take care
shane

yeah, I know what you mean, it was really getting me worried... Now I know what a solid mount would feel like >_< I still have a moderate reciprocating vibration that was unchanged, at highway speeds. I'm starting to think it's the front diff, cus when I check it after a long drive, it's HOT to the touch. Luckily I have another one sitting behind the shop, I'm going to swap that in and see if it fixes anything tomorrow, after dealing with my driveshaft. I'm hoping the driveshaft fix will do it, even with the use of a lift and being under my car, it's still a royal pita  to swao that diff out.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
Now that you mention the diff...Im gonna check mine out very thoroughly while the engines out. The only lift I got access to is a floor jack and a couple of jack stands ;D that job would be a nightmare!!

Im really curious as to what is causing that vibration!! Is caroline eating up tires any worse since this vibration started?

I sure hope you get that vibration resoled...Those things sure get the blood preassure up!!

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2011, 03:43:19 AM »
Now that you mention the diff...Im gonna check mine out very thoroughly while the engines out. The only lift I got access to is a floor jack and a couple of jack stands ;D that job would be a nightmare!!

Im really curious as to what is causing that vibration!! Is caroline eating up tires any worse since this vibration started?

I sure hope you get that vibration resoled...Those things sure get the blood preassure up!!

I think the vibration is from the double slip joint in my rear driveshaft, which causes a wobble at certain frequencies. I haven't decided what to do about it yet, though I'm thinking of using a rubber pipe coupling and a few well placed hose clamps on the eagle part of the drive shaft and leave the slipyoke to do as it should, grand cherokee style. that should eliminate it. I've decided I also am getting rid of the poly trans bushings altogether and putting rubber under there, as there is still more vibration from the engine than I'd like, though it's not because of the engine.

I can't quite tell, she wears them perfectly evenly all around, and I mean perfectly. I've put 18k miles on her and rotated the tires once, and they all have almost exactly the same tread depth, except for the snow tire which is newer. And, she still needs an alignment and front end rebuild, bad.

If the recip vibration is still there, I'll know it's the front diff and I'll set aside a few hours at the shop to swap it out.

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2011, 08:30:25 AM »
 :o I didn't realize you were running a double slip, that could very well be your issue. If the driveshaft were to walk back and forth while driving constantly changing your geometry that would cause quite the vibe......What case are you running? If a 231, you can just do a slip yoke eliminator set up. Cheap way, drill a hole through your yoke and out put shaft, tap it and run a bolt through. Though u-joint changes would be made kinda difficult with that route, it works.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
:o I didn't realize you were running a double slip, that could very well be your issue. If the driveshaft were to walk back and forth while driving constantly changing your geometry that would cause quite the vibe......What case are you running? If a 231, you can just do a slip yoke eliminator set up. Cheap way, drill a hole through your yoke and out put shaft, tap it and run a bolt through. Though u-joint changes would be made kinda difficult with that route, it works.

I have a 249. The bolt idea was my original idea but pulling the driveshaft out would be a pain, I would need a very low profile wrench. I think I'm going to have my boss weld the drive shaft at the stock slip in a fixed location, and let the slipyoke do the work. That way, my driveshaft will still be easily removed if needed, and it will eliminate the slight bit of rotational play between the end of the eagle shaft and the main shaft section.

What's your 'sona?

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Welding the shaft slip will do to, you may want to look into having a new shaft made at some point down the road, it doesn't cost too much usually, maybe 90-150? I've made my own driveshaft at one point (shortened the tube, welded yoke back on), but I consider that one **luck**  :rotfl:.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »
Welding the shaft slip will do to, you may want to look into having a new shaft made at some point down the road, it doesn't cost too much usually, maybe 90-150? I've made my own driveshaft at one point (shortened the tube, welded yoke back on), but I consider that one **luck**  :rotfl:.

I have decded I am going to get a comanche drive shaft, have the slip joint eliminated and the shaft shortened to the right length, then attach the slipyoke to it, and rock it Grand cherokee style.

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
Does caroline have a stock rear end or is she running an XJ rear?

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2011, 01:37:01 AM »
Stock rear end. I like my 2.73s and you'll never find those under an XJ, or any 5 bolt jeep after the CJs if I remember correctly. I will probably go to 2.35s after the turbo.

What's your 'sona?

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
            HI   Toug would you do some thing for me.  Tell me why you don't like me.....Don
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:31:40 PM by teneagle »
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

HI    Did I hear right that you lost your job .. If yes Aim sorry to hear that .I wish there was some way
                   to help you . I gave up my job 1-1-07 and I miss it but I cant go back......I hope you find some thing
                   soon.....GOOD LUCK ......................Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »

HI Toug      good luck with Blue Bird.....Don

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
            HI   Toug would you do some thing for me.  Tell me why you don't like me.....Don

I'm not sure why you would think I dislike you, I don't dislike anyone on this forum... I found a job working as a construction laborer... this temp agency I'm going through is paying pretty decent (for single/no kids income) but has me working my butt off, in addition to my mowing and landscaping business over teh weekends. I work 7 days a week basically, though this may be the last week on this site, at which point I'll take a week off, with a family vacation coming up next week...

I'm very much looking forward to bluebird, though my budget got a lot tighter as of last friday thanks to a hefty ticket (167 bucks for speeding X_x) and am not looking forward to spending too much cash on her. Fromwhat it looks like though, she should be good to go with a decent tuneup and some basic gaskets.

What's your 'sona?

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »

HI Toug  glad to hear your working ..to Meany days a week but you have to do what you have to do to get along
         Sorry to hear about the speeding ticket that is bad...Enjoy your week off ....From what SHane said it won't
         take alot to get Blue Bird going....     Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk