News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HEI UPGRADE Links and Info  (Read 22454 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
HEI UPGRADE Links and Info
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »
This is the next upgrade for under to hood.  I see there is plenty of info regarding the install, what can be removed after the install, and what has to stay etc.
I'm having a hard time finding info on the actual products bought, what one to get, and where to get it.

I'd like to get it within budget, not trying to spend more then $150 on everything if possible.

Seems the Skip White Performance HEI is the common simple choice. 
As of now I don't see anything on their site under the AMC/JEEP tab.     Wanted to go this route because I hear the gear is correct to the straight 6

If I got a different distributor is it easy enough to use my current stock gear and move it to the new unit? or are the mating surfaces proprietary?
Is there another distributor kit out there that is ready to go out of the box? Any links would be great.                                     
Looking for the easy direct answer of "click here and get this one" HAHA.  I've been getting confused with all the info about options out there.  :banghead:

I know I need new ignition wires. Is there a year and model used for reference just to avoid confusion when ordering? Saw somewhere on here that "Chevy Nova with an inline 6" worked.

Just trying to get more of a HEI reference together rather then the whole discussion and theory. 

Or if there is any links to a thread that has links or list info would be great. Sorry if this is a redundant post btw  :newbie: 

Thanks Everybody!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:28:02 AM by TylerEagle »

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: HEI UPGRADE Links and Info
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
Ok so already on my way.
Found on here someone used a gear from a 85 Jeep 360.
Crown Automotive Sales Co.  Part #  J3208615
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CWA-J3208615

I see some saying only a AMC straight six gear will work and others saying a AMC V8 gear will work.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:50:44 AM by TylerEagle »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
I would give Skip White a call. I wonder why they don't list AMC distributors on their site anymore. I think most have just dropped the Skip White one right in without changing the gear without any issues.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
I have the Skip White in my SX/4.  Bought it off the eBay page.  It's been very reliable, but has too much advance built in.  I had to change the springs to the heaviest I could find to stop it from detonating under load.  It does appear to have a hardened gear, but I haven't heard of anyone with the 258 have any issues with it damaging the cam gear.  That was a big problem with the AMC V8 motors as the cam gear is a softer metal.  Good luck.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »
Called them and they were saying they are more up to date on their Ebay page.
They said the gear will be fine but I heard a little bit of hesitation in her voice saying so. Probably nervous of liability? who knows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371058611629?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Skip White AMC JEEP 232 258 4.0 4.2 6 CYL HEI DISTRIBUTOR 6511-R

Ill double check the gear before install. But all I need now is new plug wires and to re gap the plugs?

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »
I had to change the springs to the heaviest I could find to stop it from detonating under load.

Think I should do this before install or just wait to see how it runs? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks again
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:15:20 AM by TylerEagle »

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »
I just responded to someone on here today that's having that issue.  You can try it out.  It's not common, or most don't notice it, or care perhaps.  It drove me nuts.

Actually, I was going to buy a second one for my wagon and I called with a question.  They told me not to install it unless I had a matching, new cam gear to go in with it.  Kind of odd, as the gear is part of the cam on a 258.  I think she's referring to the V8 AMC engines.  There were metal hardness problems on a handful of brands of HEIs which caused the cam gear to get chewed up and destroyed.  Now they warn about it.  Never heard of an Eagle owner having an issue with this HEI and a 258 though.  I just know mine pinged no matter where I had initial timing set (vac disconnected) and the only way I could fix it and get initial where I wanted it was to install heavier springs from the MSD 8464 kit.  I used the heaviest.  I was then able to bring my initial back to where it should be, 9* BTDC and re-connect my vac advance without pinging issues.  I'm using ported for vac advance, as the ECM Test suggests.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:46:00 AM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Awesome Thanks!  I will post a few pictures once I get it in the mail (should be here in 2 days) . Ill show a side by side of the old and the new gear on the Distributer just to see if someone else sees something that I dont.

Now onto researching some plug wires and what else I can rip out from under the hood after the swap.
Every time I get to take more stuff out from under there the happier I get.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
The difference between the gears is the hardness and not something you can see. You need specialized equipment to check that.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
I went with this one from CRT Performance and its worked really well.  Much better than dealing with the ignition control modules in the factory set up which seemed to be failing every couple months.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Jeep-AMC-GM-HEI-Distributor-Plug-wires-CJ5-CJ7-YJ-258-CRT-PERFORMANCE-/231663709338?hash=item35f03bac9a
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 08:18:13 PM »
The difference between the gears is the hardness and not something you can see. You need specialized equipment to check that.

I got ya. Wasn't sure what level of difference there is of hardness between the two. Sometimes from the finish and wear, materials can be identified, but its not like one gear is plastic and one is metal I suppose. A little more dialed in then that. I trust from everything on here I will be fine. If not I'll find out down the road.  I'll keep this up to date with my install this weekend. Looks to be easy enough (knock on wood).

Also one more question, this HEI install seems to render the ECM test bypass I did earlier in the year pointless regarding the ignition system. That correct?
I know the ECM takes info from the sensors and applies it to the old carb. (Ive got a MC2150 on now)
Or does the HEI swap just render the ICM useless alone?
And the ECM test bypass is to just get rid of all the emission senors?

Thats actually 3 questions.
4 after this one:

Where is the best place to pull 12v from for the new Distributer, Old Coil wire, or is there a better spot people tap into?

Just curious more then anything about all of the above.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »
Since you have the ECM bypassed and have the MC2150 anyways, you can pull the ECM and all it's wiring. Also the ICM will not be used and kicked to the curb. Just make sure your 12v source is 12v when both in start and run position. There is a resistor wire in the coil wiring that gives less than 12v when in the run position.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 12:11:53 AM »
I have two of the skip white units, no problems with either one.

The cam gear issue is a big deal with the amc v8's not the sixes to my knowledge

Yes the whole other ignition is now useless, you can pull it all off, and the coil too of course.

I ran the hot wire to the solenoid to the 12v key on post on top. The hei needs a full 12 v all the time, both start immediately and run great

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
According to a guru on the JeepForum site, you can test the hardness of the gear by attempting to drill a hole in the skirt of the gear, 90* to the roll pin.  If it drills easily, you're cool.  If it barely scratches it, it'll most certainly chew a V8 cam gear.  Probably wouldn't be great for a 6 either but shouldn't cause as much damage.  Some of the cheapies had improper tooth pitch and the hardnened ones were sometimes poorly machined, with hard metal and almost serrated teeth.  They were like a milling machine, lol.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
Thanks for all the input. Ill have to give the drill test a shot and try to be as noninvasive as possible. Results posted tomorrow.

Just picked up these plug wires.

http://www.autozone.com/ignition/wireset-performance/accel-wireset-performance/133157_562028_2268/

searched under 1969 Chevrolet Nova 4.1L 1BL OHV 6cyl.

I plan to use the same plugs since there they are pretty new. Just basics if I remember right. I will just gap them to around .45 if I read correct.

Also picked up the MSD Advance Kit 8464 just in case.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:23:44 AM by TylerEagle »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk