News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gasket maker for Carb base?  (Read 3978 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Gasket maker for Carb base?
« on: April 14, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Just curious if anyone uses any sort of Permatex gasket maker between the carb/spacer/manifold?  I have the two gaskets from the rebuild kit that go above and below the phenolic spacer.  In theory I think it's supposed to stay dry.  I've used an orange Permatex previously but it turned to dust and made a mess.  Thoughts? Opinions?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Gasket maker for Carb base?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
Never use any sealer unless the manufacturer says it's gas safe.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 04:22:55 PM »
Never use any sealer unless the manufacturer says it's gas safe.

I feel like I would have checked that when I used it but maybe I goofed up and only checked for oil safe.  Either way, do you recommend a sealer of on those surfaces or install without?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
I usually do them dry unless manufacturer says its needed. That said, I have used Gaskacinch on them in the past. Pretty much like what Eaglehead Shellac used to be, but better.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »
I used a thin layer of sealer, the black kind that says its gas safe.

However in theory there shouldn't be gas there unless you have a leak, and with the sealer you shouldn't

Been like that for a couple of years, no vacuum leaks so far
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
I have access to ALL manner of sealants, for vehicles as well as tubes of the stuff used on aircraft fuel systems. None are worth their weight when it comes to carb sealing. Go dry or go home.

They might work for a fuel pump, or a few other areas, but the vacuum + gasoline has a chance of sucking it right out and causing vacuum issues.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »
I have access to ALL manner of sealants, for vehicles as well as tubes of the stuff used on aircraft fuel systems. None are worth their weight when it comes to carb sealing. Go dry or go home.

They might work for a fuel pump, or a few other areas, but the vacuum + gasoline has a chance of sucking it right out and causing vacuum issues.

Yeah, I left it dry. No problems yet that I can tell.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk