The Shop > Axle / Differential

Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions

<< < (3/16) > >>

dansvan:
 Well here goes. There are indeed 3 carriers for a D30. The AMC Eagle uses the normal Jeep 3.54 and down carrier for the Eagle 2.35 gears. The Jeep 3.73 and up carrier fits nothing for an Eagle. The Eagle uses it's own carrier for 2.72, 3.07, and 3.54 gears. So if you allready have 2.72, 3.07 gears and want to go to 3.54 you are fine. If you have 2.35 and want to go to the higher sets you need a carrier from an Eagle with those sets. This also means 3.54 is as deep as you can go on the front of an IFS Eagle without a custom ring gear spacer. Pics tonight. Swapped in a carrier from a 2.72 and the aftermarket 3.54 gears fit perfectly.

eaglefreek:
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I've got a 2.73 front diff sitting on the side of my house so I can put 3.07's in my 86.

IowaEagle:
Eggs added for your research and updated info.

dansvan:
Couple of pics.

Left to right. Eagle 2.35 carrier. Jeep 3.73 carrier. Eagle 2.72-3.54 carrier

profeagle:
Boy oh boy, I am reading all this and only wish I could sell my Eagle parts such as the ones you are talking about. I have at least one of all Eagle gear sets in complete front and rear ends and they will soon have to go to the scrap if I get tired of tripping over them. My location is about 90 miles north of Toronto Canada. So too bad so far away, but I come to Iowa at where I am now at least once a year at this same time, but I know that is too long to wait this time, maybe next time, anyone ?

But I say if you really want something, go get it, that's what I do, recently traveled over 600 miles for a free Eagle with 5 speed ! It was only good for parts though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version