News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 31, 2024, 03:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1982 Eagle SX/4 w/4.2L  (Read 2591 times)

attemptnumber2

1982 Eagle SX/4 w/4.2L
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
I have had my Eagle for 3 years now and have finally decided to get it daily . A friend of mine called me out of the blue knowing I always wanted one and told me a friend of his parents had one. When I went to get it, my soon to be new car was barely visible under a bush. With only a few spots where cancer dominates it I shook hands and loaded it onto the trailer.

I immediately bought a remanned carb for it after a few hours of trying to clean and mess with the original one. After that I tried to get the alternator to work with no luck. So I fixed the rotted brake lines after driving it off the end of the trailer into the back of the truck and started driving it just carrying a spare fully charged battery in the back seat.

After a few months of that I went back to my old daily driver which is beyond repair now. So the way this amazing creature sits right now it needs the alternator bracket, a fog light and a grill to be back on the street again.

If anyone out there has this mystical alternator bracket I would almost be willing to drive across the country to shake your hand.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: 1982 Eagle SX/4 w/4.2L
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
Welcome to the Den!  I think you are the fella I accidently deleted for membership the other day?    Sorry about that.  Happy to see you tried again.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
Welcome!

Off-the-top-of-my-head (thinking Eagle parts or parting out wise) if you're on Facebook, we have a group there "AMC Eagles Den" and Nick is parting out his '85 wagon (A pillar to front bumper is the same on all Eagle models).
Not sure what part of the world you're in but Nick is in Indiana.

Again welcome.
And we LOVE pictures  ;)
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »
The brackets are different for a car equipped with A/C versus no A/C.  I believe I have the non-A/C bracket if that is what you need.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

attemptnumber2

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »
I am not too great at using Facebook but I will check into that. I am located in Central Illinois.

PO swapped a serpentine bracket in thinking it would work. It is a factory V-belt, A/C equipped car, so it has the low mount alternator. I have no hardware or the bracket. I am sure I can figure out all the hardware with a little trial and error. the bolt/stud will be about the only thing that will be tough to make/find.

I found a diagram of what I need on factorychryslerparts.com but it is not a part that is stocked/produced anymore from what I can find. I was in Wisconsin for a couple weeks and found nothing there either. I did happily see a couple wagons running around while I was up there.

Soon to be projects for the Eagle that I cannot seem to find squat on but I am sure someone out there has done it already are:
-Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L accessory serpentine drive swap to the 4.2L, do the dampers/crank pulley interchange is the biggest ???, bad balancing can be a show stopper.
           o I have figured out how to adapt the Factory A/C lines to a Jeep Wrangler R134 pump on a JGC bracket. Also, I need to find all new A/C lines if there
              is a company out there manufacturing them.
-Front and Rear axle swap using the factory 4-link from a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
-Electronic Transfer case that I can retrofit the switch to engage 2 HI and 4 HI.

A solid parts list is:
-V-belt alternator bracket with Factory equipped A/C
-Any grill that will fit and bolt in
-Passenger side fender for a red/black SX/4<--just seen this last night
-Hatch from a red/black SX/4. <--PO thought you had to cut out the support mounts??? WTF
-Passenger side taillight housing is cracked a little
-One fog light housing that mounts on the front bumper
-The little plastic slider piece that follows the shifter back and forth in the console.
-Every other part I could find.

Thanks for the references and help. I feel like a little kid again finally getting this on the chopping block. I cant wait to turn heads driving this thing around.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
We have lots of diagrams and such archived here:   http://amceaglesden.com/guide/index.php?title=Main_Page
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
I broke down my 4.2L a few months ago and should still have the V belt brackets. If you are still interested, shoot me a message.

attemptnumber2

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
i recieved my awesome side marker lenses and passenger side accessory brackets. a big thanks to dleberfinger for the hook up on that.

I just snagged up a full stereo system and a bigger alternator...hope a 150mm housing fits where a 140mm housing used to be.

Slapped some JGC rims and tires on it. they are a bit big but if they barely rub they are just the right size.

Hopefully plated and insured again by Friday and back on the road.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
Please post photos.  We like photos here.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk