News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '83 Eagle Front Wheel Stud Replacement  (Read 2420 times)

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
'83 Eagle Front Wheel Stud Replacement
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »
Good Evening, All --

Probably a very silly question, but is there any way to remove/replace the front wheel studs without completely disassembling the front wheel bearing assembly?

I wanted to get a total length on one with calipers and tried to tap it through to remove it, only to have it bind on the iron hub casting behind it and not be remotely close to coming out.

This seems like something that should be a simple replacement item, and I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance --

David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: '83 Eagle Front Wheel Stud Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »
Pretty sure you have to remove the rotor.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:17:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply! 

Yes, I had pulled the rotor.  The stud would not back far enough out of the round steel flange to be removed due to the cast iron hub housing sitting directly behind it.  I was hoping that the cast iron hub had a clearance section somewhere in its circumference to allow for easy stud removal, but it does not.

In my case, I'm not dealing with a broken stud, but they happen all the time.  It seems I'm missing something dumb as studs should be easy to replace.

David
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:20:34 AM by djm3452004 »
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 01:09:03 PM »
My MR manual shows the flange as being separate. Searching for my TSM to see if there's any info there.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
My MR manual shows the flange as being separate. Searching for my TSM to see if there's any info there.

The flange is an integral part of the hub/bearing assembly.  To remove the flange, it and the iron hub casting have to be pulled apart.  The flange shaft is pressed into bearings that seat inside the iron hub casting.

Attached is a photo of my home-made puller I made when I changed my bearings earlier this summer.

My point is that the flange cannot be separated or even pulled out a little bit from the iron hub casting without the entire hub/bearing assembly being removed from the car.  I cannot imagine having to go through that hassle just to change a wheel stud/lug.

David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
It does look like it all has to come apart. There's nothing in the TSM to help. Maybe someone more skilled has a hint or two...

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
I was able to replace one of the front wheel studs on the replacement hub I installed. It didn't seem like it was going to be able to fit, but with just the right rotation and angle of the stud, I was able to get it off and the new one on. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was possible for me

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 08:41:44 PM »
I was able to replace one of the front wheel studs on the replacement hub I installed. It didn't seem like it was going to be able to fit, but with just the right rotation and angle of the stud, I was able to get it off and the new one on. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was possible for me

Thank you, Draekon, I'll give it another go and report back.  I didn't want to force it and damage the stud.

David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk