News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My first insult  (Read 26180 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: My first insult
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:27:47 AM »
I had one parts guy say something negative when I said I needed something for the eagle. I politely aske him why the distaste, he really didn't know what to say, so he just blabbered "they're a pain to find stuff for".  I politely said to the lad, "well, maybe if you knew how to do your job properly, you wouldn't have such a hard time." He didn't like that very much  :rotfl: . I then proceeded to show him how to find what I wanted, and actually showed a little gratitude for doing so.

Always with the parts guy hate ;)

:rotfl: I myself am a parts guy (gm dealer) so I have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing. I try my best to be civilized though ;D lol.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »
I had one parts guy say something negative when I said I needed something for the eagle. I politely aske him why the distaste, he really didn't know what to say, so he just blabbered "they're a pain to find stuff for".  I politely said to the lad, "well, maybe if you knew how to do your job properly, you wouldn't have such a hard time." He didn't like that very much  :rotfl: . I then proceeded to show him how to find what I wanted, and actually showed a little gratitude for doing so.

Always with the parts guy hate ;)

:rotfl: I myself am a parts guy (gm dealer) so I have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing. I try my best to be civilized though ;D lol.

Yep Everyone knows more than the guy behind the counter. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Ohio AMX

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:21 PM »
I was at the paint shop the other day matching up some weatherstripping and a regular came in to buy paint.  He was doing some work at the counter and must have overheard our intense conversation about cross sections and what not.  He says "What re you fixing up, an old Blazer?", to which I reply "Nah, an AMC Eagle."  He says "Oh. They stopped making those for a reason."  No one laughed or really payed any attention to him after that.

Not much of a story, but this is the place to tell it!
Let people think that. More Eagles for the rest of us!  :occasion14:
Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 01:53:35 AM »
I don't get alot of haters, I'm lucky in the fact that quite a few people in this province had these cars at one time or another.  Another good thing is this is 'Redneck' province and city.  Anything 4x4 is good here.

Now, I will run into the odd idiot, who thinks it's a pacer, but so far, most of it has been pretty good encounters.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 05:22:50 AM »
Now, I will run into the odd idiot, who thinks it's a pacer, but so far, most of it has been pretty good encounters.
I encounter this more than anything around here. The worst part is the horrible problems with this car STILL aren't over. I really need to redo the whole vehicle. It's seriously becoming scrap-worthy.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 10:33:38 PM »
One of my employees had a part sitting on the counter I immediately identified it as a Subaru part (I'm a long time parts guy).  He asked if I knew so much about Subaru's because of working on my Subaru... I paused... thought a minute... and asked if he thought my Big Wagon was a Subaru.  In his defense in his world the only 4x4 car he has heard of is a Subaru.  I will always take an opportunity to teach.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »
I will always take an opportunity to teach.

That's all it takes, many stores (and dealerships) around here do not do that anymore. Back when I first started in the parts world, I was told not to even think about using the computer, books only until I completely understood how to use them. Everyone was trained that way, there wasn't a bad parts person in the store. Times changed, computer system changed, management changed, of course then training changed, it then consisted of "play around with the computer, if you can't find it, it's not available". Dealerships can be even worse, especially commission based ones, they throw you to the wolves and tell you to figure it out on your own. Guys above you, want you to be dumb so they can make more (just like flat rate techs). Anyway, lol, good to hear you're willing to train your employees.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »

That's all it takes, many stores (and dealerships) around here do not do that anymore. Back when I first started in the parts world, I was told not to even think about using the computer, books only until I completely understood how to use them. Everyone was trained that way, there wasn't a bad parts person in the store. Times changed, computer system changed, management changed, of course then training changed, it then consisted of "play around with the computer, if you can't find it, it's not available". Dealerships can be even worse, especially commission based ones, they throw you to the wolves and tell you to figure it out on your own. Guys above you, want you to be dumb so they can make more (just like flat rate techs). Anyway, lol, good to hear you're willing to train your employees.

Happened to me when I worked at the Ford dealership. The mechanics started coming to me at the walk-in customer desk because the back counter guy kept getting them the wrong parts (3 wrong, then the right) to pad his sales. He walked into the main office and demanded I be fired.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »
I was at the paint shop the other day matching up some weatherstripping and a regular came in to buy paint.  He was doing some work at the counter and must have overheard our intense conversation about cross sections and what not.  He says "What re you fixing up, an old Blazer?", to which I reply "Nah, an AMC Eagle."  He says "Oh. They stopped making those for a reason."  No one laughed or really payed any attention to him after that.

Not much of a story, but this is the place to tell it!
Where I come from insulting a man's car is not quite but almost as bad as insulting a man's wife, mother, dog or gun.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »
i got a new one today concerning Eagle Eyes a new girl at work told me she's surprised my car runs at all considering how it looks. she looked surprised when i told her looks ain't everything because i don't care how it looks as long as runs and drives.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
i got a new one today concerning Eagle Eyes a new girl at work told me she's surprised my car runs at all considering how it looks. she looked surprised when i told her looks ain't everything because i don't care how it looks as long as runs and drives.

I'm afraid we live in a throw-away society now.  That's why all the i-somethings come with a sealed case, so you can't change the battery when it won't hold a charge anymore.  All of my wife's friends are dumbfounded because I repair the house and the cars myself.  They've tried to borrow me as their husbands are fairly worthless.  I tried to help a couple of them out but 'kids' these days do not want to learn, they just want someone to do it for them.  After a couple of those experiences I gave up as I have my own to-do lists at home.

My wife's car wouldn't start after work one Friday.  I picked her up and hauled the car home with the truck and trailer.  Before I arrived her weasel of a boss was trying to tease her and asked what I was going to do with the car, fix it?  She told him flatly that she would be driving it to work Monday...and she did.  Her boss was astonished and had a hard time understanding that I repaired it at home.  What an idiot.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
The common comment I get is "There is still an AMC Eagle on the road?"

ALL THE TIME!! Or..."I haven't seen one of those in 20 years!" Yeah, ok......
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
Here's one:

I was 'talked' into bringing my eagle to a 'Show n' Shine' last year (more like told to by my car club), and someone took a picture of it, posted it on Flicker, and started a 'does this belong at a car show' topic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/6190114959/

Now I'm sure it was more of "is this car in showroom shape" kind of comment, and not "does an eagle belong at a car show" but it did get some good replies from other people - Including me.  I also posted (under the user name Whuntmore) and I got some others defending that it should be there.

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
it did get some good replies from other people - Including me. 

Good for you! First of all, our cars are worth defending. Besides our Jeep friends, there really is not another borderline-classic car that drivers use both for collectability and utilitarian uses. Great article from the NY Times a few years ago stating this....I think the article is in the archives; if not, I will provide a link.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »

I encounter this more than anything around here. The worst part is the horrible problems with this car STILL aren't over. I really need to redo the whole vehicle. It's seriously becoming scrap-worthy.

Perhaps you should find another in better condition, and use the one you have now as a parts-car.
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk