News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stop light switch wiring RESOLVED  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
stop light switch wiring RESOLVED
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
Hello All,

I'm a proud new owner of an Eagle that I just purchased and I'm in the process of driving her home yet I don't have brake lights....  Seeing how I bought car for virtually no money I wasn't worried about the fact and thought I'd pop new bulbs in on my route home.  But to my surprise its missing the entire stop light switch. 
I found a local store tha'ts getting the switch for me today but i cant find a clear diagram or schematic showing how its wired.  I know and have checked the fuse (which has power) but without tools to trace the wires and still several hundred miles from home I'm hoping someone can throw up a simple diagram showing which wires lead to and away from the switch (maybe the proper mounting for the switch itself as well) so I can install it for a safe journey home and avoid any ticket....   
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:08:58 AM by Vgrizzw »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: stop light switch wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »
It's mounted near the top of the brake pedal on the pin that goes through the clevis from the power booster. There is a plug with 2 wires that go to the switch. I don't know if a car with cruise control has more wires. Sorry I don't have my car at work with me. If you have the package tray, you'll have to be small or a contortionist to get in there.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »
thanks fro the response.  I'm aware of where it goes, I have a fox mustang with a very similar setup.  I issue is that the switch is missing altogether....I'm getting one from a parts store and looking for a diagram or just color codes for the 2 wires that go to the switch.  Color? Are the wires together on a single connector that goes to the switch or 2 separate wires?  Again I'm trying to figure this out at a hotel parking lot....(:  Thanks again!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
According to the 1988 Schematic there should be two 18ga wires.  One is Pink and One is Black w/White Tracer.  The switch is a normally closed design, so when the actuator is released, the contacts close.  The wire colors should be the same among all years but maybe not.

1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
I'm at work but I can photograph the switch on mine and see if there are actually connector(s).  I would think there would be at least one.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:40:02 PM »
Mine's on a single connector. I think the connector is brown if I recall.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 05:33:57 PM »
My 81 doesn't have the lower shelf and easy to see.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
If your car has cruise control it will have a 4 wire plug similar to the plug in Eaglefreeks pic.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
Perfect and thanks guys!  I have a connecter just like eaglefreak posted to which I suspected to be the right one but it has a couple leads "rigged" to it going to who-knows-where.  I'm going to get it all hooked up and hopefully I'll be in business.  I'll post the results...

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
If I have some low amp accessory that I'm adding on, I often will wire it from the lead to the brake switch because its easy to find and it always has power.  Maybe the previous owner had the same mind set as me  ;D
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 02:05:56 AM »
Issue resolved.  The new stop light switch went in easy enough and the picture eaglefreak posted led me to the correct connector (pink w/ white tracer and blue w/white tracer both into one connector) to wire it up.  My connector confusingly was wired to run the radio, which obviously is more important than brake lights....So after the quick install we were able to make it home safely and I can start enjoying my new Eagle. Thanks!

FYI  At any common parts store they have assortment packs of "oil drain plug washers" for only a few bucks.  The size M14 was a perfect fit for the stop light switch shaft and it included a copper, steel, and a couple of nylon washers.  Obviously I used the nylon washers for each side of the switch and it worked out perfect.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:10:18 AM by Vgrizzw »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: stop light switch wiring RESOLVED
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
I've got to ask why in the heck the brake light switch was removed? Was it removed to replace it and they got sidetracked? I just can't figure out why someone would remove the brake light switch.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »
I smell an evil plot . .

Glad you got it fixed and saved the car!
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »
The brake light switch could have been mid conversion to the more common one or they may have been switching to Hydroboost. (or the lights could have been sticking on). Or there may have been a stainless steel tank in the back? ;)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk