News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:27:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hard Work  (Read 9669 times)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Hard Work
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j456/zdeyonker/0531111629.jpg

Here is my Eagle pulling my dad's daily driver to the dealership, another victim to key recognition module failure.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Hard Work
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43:44 AM »
That's a lot of weight for an Eagle to tow around . . you got a brake controller on that thing, er trailer got brakes? Hopefully the dealership was just down the road.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
Down here lock smith charges from 100.00 to 500.00 for the key, how much did the dealer charge your dad.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »
That's a lot of weight for an Eagle to tow around . . you got a brake controller on that thing, er trailer got brakes? Hopefully the dealership was just down the road.

that's exactly what I was thinking..

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »
Trailer brakes and a brake controller in the AMC.  It handled fairly well, went 55mph down the highway no problem.  It's not the actual key, in those the module goes bad and no longer relays the code from the key through the security module so the vehicle will start.  Pretty common problem, most people end up having to just trade em' into the dealership because they never get it 100% fixed once it starts.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:26 PM »
Wow that's impressive.  A load like that would even be enough to make my Silverado with twice the power of the Eagle work for it's biscuits.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
Wow that's impressive.  A load like that would even be enough to make my Silverado with twice the power of the Eagle work for it's biscuits.

I've towed plenty of cars/SUV's on trailers with my truck and it does it without breaking a sweat. A Silverado should be fine pulling it.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
Yeah, it's not a problem for the truck, but I can definitely tell there's something back there.  Seems that the Eagle struggles just to move it's own weight up the hills, I think i would be pulling hills in 1st gear with the flashers on if I was towing that much weight behind mine around here.  I guess if it was all flat it wouldn't be bad, but
 terrain such as that just doesn't exist in pennsylvania for me to test that theory.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »
I guess if it was all flat it wouldn't be bad, but
 terrain such as that just doesn't exist in pennsylvania for me to test that theory.

I've been to PA a few times..and I noticed that.. I was like.. I can't go more than 2 minutes without going up or down a huge hill  ;D

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:50 AM »
Eagles were actually catagorized as a light truck.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 03:52:18 AM »
Eagles were actually catagorized as a light truck.

Yeah, but to suggest they could keep up with a pickup for most tasks is ludicrous.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:52 AM »
mid size trucks in that era were all pretty under powered.... unless ya stuffed a small block V8 in them...then they command a little respect.

Prafeston

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
I'm wondering what's up with the front bumper?

Looks like some homemade double tubed thing. Any other pics of that?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »
Those rims were on 02' to I believe 04' or possibly later jeep grand cherokees.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
Yup, that is a 2004 Model on the trailer.  The front and rear bumpers are tube steel bent and welded with some channel stock welded to mount to the stock bumper mounts.  I believe I posted info about it in the body section, I'll try to get some pics of the bumpers when I can.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk