News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38784 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »
Yes, I used the teraflex but added the bushing for fitment into the 727a.  I'll find out soon!  My concern now is the the rear drive shaft may need lengthening. Anyway, I splurged and bought the sx4 stickers and put them on.  A trip is planned to western CO this summer so I have to test drive before then in northern MI.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2019, 08:13:58 PM »
While the rear drive shaft is getting lengthened, I installed the humvee tcase shifter plate and made a rubber boot for the shifter.  Then installed dynomat in the driver compartment and painted it. The left exhaust lead pipe runs right under the drivers feet!

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2019, 10:12:46 PM »
Looking clean, I’m jealous.  What’s going on with your gas pedal?  Looks like there is a 1/2” thick block bolted to it?
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2019, 07:04:34 AM »
Thanks, it helps to have AMG stuff that works for AMC cars.

The pedal had 2 holes in it for a spacer block from way before. The seats are fixed position and setup for a tall person. So I put the oak block back in for better throttle response since I'm shorter than the guy that installed the seats!  The dash is a reach especially when strapped in with 5pt harness.  I have a whoopi cushion and back pad help also. These race seats are hard.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »
Rear prop is in and test drive was awesome. 4 low lock is a creeper.   After I do final adjustments on linkage, I'll put the tcase shield back on and go tear up my back 40. Build is done. Eagle enjoyment time begins.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Congratulations!  Yes, 4 low on mine totally transformed the behavior.  I love that shot from underneath!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »
It is a cool picture (need to put skid plate on though), the cleanest it will ever be.  I put a few miles on this beast and the AMG NP242 is a very good choice as compared to the AM119 I removed.  With the 4:10 diffs, it goes from 0-50 like a rocket and by the time I hit 55 mph, the 390 engine is over 3,000 rpm.  Definitely a trail vehicle.  1st gear Low Lock is crazy slow, like my old M38A1 was.  The first part of August it will be in western Colorado (Ouray) riding along with modern Jeeps.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:47:44 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »
You will have fun in that part of Colorado, and no problem keeping up with the Jeeps.  Get ready for a lot of attention!  I went through that area last year in my wagon, across a bunch of the passes.  People couldn’t quite believe their eyes seeing an Eagle at 12000 feet up on a rocky pass.  The low gear in the transfer case makes these things act like mountain goats!  First gear low is perfect for coasting down steep grades, saves your brakes.  I have 3.07’s and a tired old 4.2L six, I can’t imagine the power with 4.10’s and a 390!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »
Yes, but I am concerned about the transmission and engine.  They are the only things I did not "go through" mechanically.  I did install a driver seat slider for the race seats it came with, I am closer but not as close as I want to be.  I would have to cut the base frame welded in and re-position it for better fitment.  But I probably leave it alone.

I will put a for sale sign on it there for fun!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2019, 09:08:32 PM »
Finally got time to change out the 500 cfm AFB carb to a 625 cfm AFB.  The 390 is supposed to have the 625 so its perplexing as to why the 500 was installed. It had big jets too.  It was burning very rich according to the smell and plug color.  So now I'll check the plugs after a drive and adjust from there, keeping in mind that itll be at 10,000' for a week.  I have extra jets and needles to adjust further.

I put two spare tires in it since it was setup for that.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2019, 06:30:11 PM »
Been away for awhile.  After a nice drive there and back, the eagle ran hot and rich.  After a day, we parked it and I rode with friends.  It vapor locked once so i didn't want to wrench on the trails.  Had fun none the less.

I had to remachine the seal extender due to a leak that developed internally.  I added .75" to the adapter to reach the input tcase shaft and to seat firmly in the transmission housing.  Since I didn't find anything in a727 to 242 tcase adaption, here is what I had to do.  The o.d. of extension is 2.6850" which allows it to firmly seat in housing.  Total length is 1.823".  I inserted the adapter .6250" from face of tcase/a727  mating faces.  Always fun dropping down a new tcase,,,goes faster!

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2019, 10:03:14 AM »
It's way cool seeing the efforts you have put forward. Where you in Colo for FSJ Invasion?
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
I was not. I did see a few good looking FSJ's and a Commando.  I had a 68 v6 Jeepster Commando and a 78 Cherokee Levi back in the 70's and 80's.

Anyway, a few friends got together for a ride along, former H1 and HMMWV guys and gal that now drive Wranglers.  We will be back there next summer but the Rally Eagle will stay back in Michigan.

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »
Hope you are still on here. Was wondering what coilovers we’re used on your set up? I see you listed some info on the shocks, hoping you could give me some more info on the coils. I’m going to do the same set up as this rally set up. Was going to just run one nice pair of coil overs but after revisiting your posts I like this set up better .

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »
I'm still on here from time to time. Seems the forum has picked steam and energy! Good to see.

I could not find the make/model number of these coil overs.  The middle is a dampner, not a shock.  I forgot the range but it was hard to match and expensive. So I just rebuilt these with new springs and internal dampner parts I had to have machined.

The front suspension is awesome on this car!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk