News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 03:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine randomly losing power/dying  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Engine randomly losing power/dying
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »
Recently my car has been randomly dying, or so it seems.

The first time it did it was after about 10 minutes of driving, I was going up a bumpy hill (paved but bumpy) and near the crest, the motor lost power and died after about 5 or 10 seconds.  I pulled over and tried to restart it, but it would just keep cranking.  So I popped the hood and checked all plug wires and connections, everything seemed fine.  No loose hoses or anything.  Tried again, no luck at starting it. Pulled the air cleaner off, held the throttle valve open, and vapor started pouring out of the carb.  I waited a bit longer, then tried starting it again, and it started.  It drove home fine after that, so I didn't give it much thought.  ???

Then last night, it was a lot worse.  Again, after driving about 10 minutes, the engine cut out.  Wouldnt start right away, same as before, so I just left my foot on the gas pedal and sat a bit, tried to start it and eventually it caught and started.  Well, this time, it didn't make it back home.  I had to repeat this serious of events 3 or 4 more times.  :banghead:

What could be causing the motor to suddenly die on me?

A little background, I have a MIU/TFI upgrade that I did earlier this year, replaced the fuel filter, air filter, any vacuum hose that looked shot, breather element, pcv valve, fuel pump.  It had ran fine with all this fine with no issues.  I know the car is running rich though, and doesn't really like to start, I have to feather the gas pedal just right.

Any help or insight would be amazing.  :help:

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Engine randomly losing power/dying
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »
Well I went to move my car from the street to where I could actually work on it, and it wouldn't start.  It would just turn over.  I got some starter fluid, sprayed it in the card, it fired right up and then died soon after.  So I figured it had to be a fuel issue.

Not wanting to disassemble much with the car just parked on the street, I pulled the outlet hose from the fuel filter and no gas came out.  I then pulled the inlet side and there was gas in that hose.  So I'm guessing its a plugged fuel filter.  I won't have time to get a new fuel filter for a couple days, so I cant know for sure whether or not that actually is the issue.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »
Check your oil and make sure it doesn't smell like gas. Could also be a bad fuel pump and if it's bad, it can leak gas into the oil.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
Check your oil and make sure it doesn't smell like gas. Could also be a bad fuel pump and if it's bad, it can leak gas into the oil.

The fuel pump has less than 500 miles on it, so it better not be bad.  I'll be sure to check the oil when I get a chance, though

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
Did you put the right fuel filter with the bypass in it? My Friend had the same problem and found the return line to the gas tank was plugged where the rubber hose met the steel line and was putting too much pressure to the float needle and flooding the carb. I remember a member here having the same problem.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
A new pump may have sucked all the crud in the tank up, and could be collapsing rubber lines with all the suction.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
A new pump may have sucked all the crud in the tank up, and could be collapsing rubber lines with all the suction.

I think the new pump may have sucked the crud up.

I got a new fuel filter installed today, and the fuel in rubber inlet hose and the fuel that poured out of the old filter looked disgusting.  Its bad...  It still didn't start with the new filter, so it looks like its not an issue of it being plugged.

The oil doesn't smell like gas at all, so the pump should be good.  Tomorrow I'll try and look down the carb again with someone else trying to start it to try and see if theres any fuel coming in.

It could just be that the bad gas isn't letting it run.

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »
Have you checked to see that the fuel pump is pumping a good flow of gas? Could be a hole in the line somewhere and sucking air or crud got in the valves of the fuel pump and is letting them leak.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
Watch for backfires when looking down that carb.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
Have you checked to see that the fuel pump is pumping a good flow of gas? Could be a hole in the line somewhere and sucking air or crud got in the valves of the fuel pump and is letting them leak.

I checked after my last post.  I'm not getting flow through the pump.  I'm going to get an extra fuel filter to put before the fuel pump, take the pump off and clean it out.

Watch for backfires when looking down that carb.
Normally I'd be more careful about it, but it doesn't even start to catch when cranking over.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »
Well I tore the fuel pump off, cleaned it out as good as I could, put it back on with a fuel filter before it, and am still getting no fuel to pump through...

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »
Did you check to see if the pump had vaccum when you had it off by putting your finger over the inlet and pumping it? You can also check by having someone turn over the engine while holding your finger over the inlet or a hose attached to it, or by using a vaccum gauge. There could be a hole in the gasline letting it suck air.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
Did you check to see if the pump had vaccum when you had it off by putting your finger over the inlet and pumping it? You can also check by having someone turn over the engine while holding your finger over the inlet or a hose attached to it, or by using a vaccum gauge. There could be a hole in the gasline letting it suck air.

Just checked it and couldn't feel a great deal of suction holding my finger on the inlet.  It does work a little bit, as there was some gas in the pre-pump fuel filter, but none in the hose between the pump and the filter.

I think I'm gonna pick up a new pump tomorrow and give that a shot.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 02:17:58 AM »
I am starting to think you have a bad fuel line from the tank to the pump.  visually inspect them for rust, kinks, or holes.  there is also rubber lines from the tank to the hard lines that are a bear and a half to get to. 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »
Its running again!  I got a working pump on the motor, and it seems to be running fine.

I think I'm going to drop the tank when I get a chance and clean it out, but the pre-pump filter should help it run for now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk