News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:09:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flashing Headlights.... just read it.  (Read 23667 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
Flashing Headlights.... just read it.
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
Ok, so I bought the aftermarket headlights on ebay. They are set up so that you can actually swap the bulb out rather than replace the whole thing. Well, I had to buy two sets because our Eagles run four lights.... highs and lows.

The bulbs that came with the headlights were the dual beams.... meaning one bulb had the hi and low beam.

One beam has a two prong connector and the other has a three prong.... ok... still with me? So what I did was just break the third prong off for the one that only had two. This worked fine for awhile, but my hi beams were just as bright as my low beams, just different angles.... AND instead of all four beams on, only two at a time came on full-blast while the other two were very dim. Obviously this is a problem.

So I went out and bought brand new Silverstar Sylvania Ultras... for the beam that had three prings... I simply set up a two-prong, but wired both hot wires together so that this bulb would always be on as intended.

This worked great.... when I had it set to low beams.... I had just the outer two bulbs on. When I hit the hi-beams.... all four came on bright.

The problem is that after awhile of being on.... they start to flash. I am having a power issue... like there's not enough power to power all four beams on high.

I don't know how to fix this.... the bulbs are the ones that have a silver ring around them on the base and they a pressed down by a metal spring kind of thing. The dual beams and the ONLY type of bulbs theymake for this type of setup.

I want my new headlights.... they are porjectors. But how the heck do I make these dual bulbs work!!?? And how the heck do I explain it... because I know your lost because I had a really hard time just getting that much out... *sigh*
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
Re: Flashing Headlights.... just read it.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:40 PM »
my un educated guess is that the additional current is causing the (some of) the wires to heat up and cause resistance to the current.  Maybe a heavier guage wire in the right part or all of the circuit??????????///

Just a thought, I had a real nice 51 ford pickmeup with the 6 volt battery that would die on a corner and not start until it cooled down.  After numerous fixes that did not work. 

Replaced the Ground to the Battery and never a problem again at the suggestion of Paul Manchure in Kelowna.

Pays to know a old high school hot rod guy.

dkoug

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
You might try installing relays near the headlights so there isn't so much current loss going through the wires all the way through the headlight switch and down to the lights.  This could be another one of those problems requiring Jurjen to chime in lol.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:02 PM »
You might try installing relays near the headlights so there isn't so much current loss going through the wires all the way through the headlight switch and down to the lights.  This could be another one of those problems requiring Jurjen to chime in lol.
I think I have him on the relay track and how to wire them in ........ It's like being on the operating table with a doctor on the phone telling another doctor how to perform open heart surgery 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:53:47 AM »
I think I have him on the relay track and how to wire them in ........ It's like being on the operating table with a doctor on the phone telling another doctor how to perform open heart surgery 

Sounds like a scene from Young Frankenstein...
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline EaglePilot

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:04:51 AM »

I'm sure there are relay/s - there "always" are, but make sure they are HEAVY DUTY, not standard.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:38:34 AM »
If I remember back about a year ago I suggested you leave your high beams as is as you were pondering installing these lights -- as that is the proper way to do those set ups.  However the mad scientist and his brother ignored the sage advice from me and the other village people nearby. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
As far as it being legal or not to have four high beams on I'm not sure what the law is in Illinois.  I do think that would be illegal in NY though.  But the others are correct about needing to add some high current relays to the mix.  You will burn out the headlight switch soon otherwise.  This may also cause the wiring and plug to the switch to melt too.  By using the relays only a very small current will be going through the headlight switch (much less than originally even) and the switch will last many times longer.  You may also notice that the lights will be even brighter.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15:05 AM »
i think i replied to this problem of yours in another thread? yes, add the relays, use the light powers for your trigger wires (the 85 or 86), hook battery power to your 87, and the light to the 30. the location of the battery power and light can be reversed without issue. the flashing is the built in ciruit breaker in the light switch.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
i think i replied to this problem of yours in another thread? yes, add the relays, use the light powers for your trigger wires (the 85 or 86), hook battery power to your 87, and the light to the 30. the location of the battery power and light can be reversed without issue. the flashing is the built in ciruit breaker in the light switch.
Hey! I just learned something new about relays ...... thanks
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
relays are somethin that scare alot of people but the easy way to think of it is that its a powered switch to turn somethin on or off. ill try to draw or find a picture in a bit. here we go:

and heres mine:

so on the sides are 86 and 85. these two are the "trigger wires". you will use these two to turn the relay on and off. when power and ground is applied to these leads, they will power an electromagnet to switch the contacts inside. polarity doesnt matter on MOST relays, some have a diode, but they will be marked as such on the case, and the polarity does matter on those.

down the middle is the 87, 87a, and 30. as you can see from the first picture 87a and 30 will be connected inside while the relay is at rest (not powered). hence the "a" on the 87a. when you power the relay coil (85 and 86) the 30 will then join to the 87, and when power is removed, the 87a and 30 will be rejoined.

i may add to this later, but ill leave it off here for now
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
Huge help... I understand HOW the work now and the reason behind them.

Still kind of fuzzy on figuring out which wire is "in" and which is "out"m but I think I can figure it out.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
if you want i can draw how id do it. id use two relays, maybe even one pair for each side, depending on the lights.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
if you want i can draw how id do it. id use two relays, maybe even one pair for each side, depending on the lights.

Yeah, I'm thinking of using a relay for each set of lights.... but one for each light? Interesting. It surely wouldn't hurt of you were to draw something up for me :) I thnk I've got it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and fry stuff out.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48:09 PM »
well, it would depend on if you still wanted to use any power from the headlight switch or use all new lines and battery power direct. if all you wanted to do was just for the high beams, you could get away with one, maybe one each side for highs, being they only like around 30 amps for the big ones. im thinking about doing all the lights through relays, however ill also have two less lights, and most likely use HIDs since i sell them now ;D H4 high/low kit, eurolite conversion housings, and concorde grille for one light each side. ;D
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:44 AM »
well, it would depend on if you still wanted to use any power from the headlight switch or use all new lines and battery power direct. if all you wanted to do was just for the high beams, you could get away with one, maybe one each side for highs, being they only like around 30 amps for the big ones. im thinking about doing all the lights through relays, however ill also have two less lights, and most likely use HIDs since i sell them now ;D H4 high/low kit, eurolite conversion housings, and concorde grille for one light each side. ;D

Dude... wtf??? I have two concord grills and Ive been looking for "the rest" forever.... gah...

I would love to just run new wiring, but I wouldn't know how to hook them up in the switch.... wait a sec.. I could use the existing connector couldn't I? The only thing I'm worried about is the "hi/lo" switch.... if I use the same connector, and just run fresh new wires - then nothing should change with the switch in the steering column right?

Duh... it's like a light bulb just kicked on in my head, lol... I'm going to take some pictures to show you what I did, then Ill be abe to ask my questions easier but I think I've got it. As for the Relay.... could I just get a thick 8g wire like you'd use for an amp and then run it to a dist block? i can't imagine having 15 wires coming off for all these freaking relays... unless I popped them on the nuts on the solenoid... that should work right?

Sorry mostly thinking out loud. If you have any pictures that would help... that would be greatly appreciated.

I always thought the HID was something different.... I've upgraded several vehicles, but now that Im learning more... Im finding that i didnt upgrade crap and I probably set them up to have issues down the road. See, I had HID bulbs and projector lenses... and I trashed the bulbs thinking they were the problem, when really the old wiring just couldn't handle them. A couple relays and some fresh wiring and I'd have probably doubled the birhgtness of these bulbs and extended the life termendously.... it took a 30 year old car to teach me how to make the new cars work right.

Cant wait to fix Shelly's Jeep now.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 12:21:17 AM »
wow, lots to comprehend, lol. ok, from the top:

i have a mockup picture on my pathetic build thread, with the grille im talking about, its the two square headlight one. i got it from the pick and pull by EM, Mechanic and Whuntmore (and others)

yes, you can use the existing connector to fire your relay(s), and itll all work normal

i doubt you need somethin as huge as 8, even our HID kits use 12 at most. yes, the run is high power, but unlike an amp kit at 17 feet, this is more like 4. and you could add a wire to the solenoid and itd be fine. think of it as running a (cant believe im about to say this i hate these things) cap for you subs. you can use the cap as a distro, and itll be fine. i should get a pic of the one in my honda. two 4 awg running one to each batt, and two 8 awg, one to each amp, for a total of 4 wires on each post lol and im only using it because its a stinger, its chrome and it has lights and a voltage display, and i won it at a convention! (thats my story and im stickin to it, those things are :censored: bandaids)

thinkin out loud is fine, unless its with or about our lady friends, those thought are best left up there. ill draw a diagram tomorrow, its late here.

HIDs arent the devil alot of (no offense anyone) older purist guys make them out to be. yes, they are effin bright, yes they CAN be blue, but not always. and yes, they "should" for DOT be behind a projector. but if you aim them right, no blinfing oncoming traffic. but, the life of a real HID is actualler WAY longer than a standard halogen bulb. and if you get a 4300K kit, they are actually white, not blue. no need to pigeonhole ourselves into the OEM equipment just because it keeps the car "original"
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 01:49:42 AM »
Its really not too complicated.  Just think of it as interrupting the existing wires with the relays. Pretty simple.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 02:32:27 AM »
sounds easy enough but whats your beef with using a cap? I run one and it made a world of difference. No more dimming or anything funky.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »
i'd do it like this, but i like to complicate things apparently (somethin said at work, not here)

my big beef with caps is actually in their design and main goal. their main design and function is that they charge REALLY fast, and discharge equally fast, as needed. when you have huge power, around 1000 plus, your amp needs upwards of 100 amps to make that power. if you listen to somethin like slipknot or some others with double kick drums, and other quick tap tap tap bass, caps can be awesome. their output is quick and its gone. on the other hand, if you listen to say, eminem, busta rhymes, or some of the newer "rap" (nothing like old school if you ask me) with longer bass notes, the cap will discharge quickly like its made to, and then you have two draws on your battery/alternator: the amp, and now the cap too. and take it one step further, spl guys like me, i need all the power i can stuff into that amp. anything that can draw power away from the amp could be dangerous to my power supply in the amp.

same can actually be said for adding extra batteries. with two batteries you have no dimming for the first while, while both batteries are full charge, after they both get down to the point of dimming lights, now your poor alternator is charging two batteries AND running the stereo with that crazy bass head at the volume control.

that being said, im a culprit of all these things in my honda, but it does look pretty cool when you pop my trunk, even if the stereo does NOT warrant it at all ;D thats all sitting on a false floor and the little strap in the middle at the bottom of the picture opens the middle panel where the amps sit and i can still get out the spare
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »
Dude, thanks! That's going to help alot!

As for the cap, I listen to rock and I like it bassy... IE Slipknot, Rob Zombie and stuff like... I'm running some dinky Massive RW series 12's and a 1000W amp. Orion 3 way 5" door speakers, Orion 3x5 3 ways in the back. Volt booster between the deck and the amp. 50w cap and an Orion Cobalt (old school) 250w amp powering the interior speakers. I run nothing but hi's and some mids off of them and nothing but bass and low mids from the subs. It's a nice mixture. I'm running about 5v from the booster to the amp and it almost doubles the power. I can't stand these $500 decks out there with 1.2v that do nothing.

Anyways, back to the lights... I will try that asap. Thanks man!
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I can't stand these $500 decks out there with 1.2v that do nothing.

yea, theres a pheonix gold bass cube at my shop ive been eyeing for a while ;D and nice choice of equipment. i used to sell new orion (made by directed electronics) still pretty good stuff

no problem on the lights, hope it works for ya
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Venosho

• Sterzinger Automotive
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
i'd do it like this, but i like to complicate things apparently (somethin said at work, not here)

There is one thing to remember here with this diagram to note that not everyone here may have noticed this but with that setup you will have daytime running lights. if you do not want to have daytime running lights on your system you would need to run separately operated relays one for the low beams activated by the low beam power wire and then the one for the high beam activated by the high beam wire. Here is how I would wire it as to not have daytime running lights. The input wires from the light switch are the harness wires behind the head lights. Just cut and crimp on the new connector to plug onto the relay.

Click for Phoenix, Arizona Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
'75 JEEP J20 401 quadra-track 4wd (The Beast)
'81 AMC Eagle (the Monster)
'82 AMC Eagle Limited (oem HEI upgrade) (Copper Bopper)
"82 AMC Eagle SX-4 (Baby Girl)
'85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE (drifter) 13b-T wide body kit project
'92 JEEP Cherokee Sport 4.0 HO (Mom's ride)

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »
side note, daytime running lights are cheaper on the insurance bill.  i have no clue how to prove it to the money hungry insurance company but if you can you should have cheaper rates
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
I can't stand these $500 decks out there with 1.2v that do nothing.

yea, theres a pheonix gold bass cube at my shop ive been eyeing for a while ;D and nice choice of equipment. i used to sell new orion (made by directed electronics) still pretty good stuff

no problem on the lights, hope it works for ya

This EQ/Volt Booster is old school Orion... in fact, all the lettering has been rubbed off, but it's tough and I love it! I just can't find anything like it anywhere else.

I really dig the Orion stuff... those old cobalts were the toughest there is man, I can't believe they ever quit making them. The new Cobalts are decent from what I've heard, but I haven't had the chance to check them out. I did buy a 15" Xtreme sub made by the same company... it has a low RMS, like 400w or something like that, but it was perfect for the wifes Grandam and I was really impressed with the sound it put off.

The Massives, I have never been a huge fan off, but it was all that I could find locally at the time... I didn't want to order anything online and deal with shipping if I had any issues. But I have to say that the subs and amp are 5 years old now and they are still kicking total @ss for what they are. I mean, in a hatchback vehicle like my old Blazer and now the Wagon... they sound amazing.

Still... the next setup will be all of the new Orion stuff. I'm going to go one step above the street grade stuff which is (I think) the Cobalt XTR series... I've heard nothing but good things from them, so we'll see.

As for the headlights... I had relays and just noticed today when I started the project that they were 4-pull boxes... so I had to pick up the 5-pulls on my way into town. I will install them tomorrow and let you know.

Can you draw me up a diagram for a 4-poll for my foglights???

And Bill... I know what daytime running lights are, but what the heck are you talking about??? My Eagle doesnt have daytime running lights, lol
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
sure, but im a procrastinator ;D and you will have daytime running lights if you wire it the way i would. low beams would come on full power (normal lows) with ignition.

funny you should mention xtreme, im actually rockin a pair of 12s in my honda now, and i had another mounted (no, im NOT making this up) in my couch. also mounted a subwoofer panel amp on the back to run it. sounded awesome, great impact with not much sound required, not that that ever stopped me from turning it up. nice thing about those woofers is that they dont require a huge box. i also had four orion C2 10s in the wifes cavvy for a soundoff once, ill have to grab that picture after supper (im cookin right now)
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
sorry gotta point this out cause i think it's kinda funny ..... I'm reply # 26 on a post that is titled read only  ;D thank you I'll be here all week
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »
First off...

sorry gotta point this out cause i think it's kinda funny ..... I'm reply # 26 on a post that is titled read only  ;D thank you I'll be here all week

You ever play online video games where you can make your online character do certain things by typing out emotes? For example if you wanted your toon (or character) to smile, you would simply type -

/smile

And you can expand on this as well for a single smooth line of commands to make it seem more realistic... example 2 -

/smile; /wave; /beckon; /say Hey, come hang out with us!";

Your toon, would smile... then wave to whomever you targeted and then motion for them to come to you while speaking out loud, "Hey, come hang out with us!"

Techie dorks also use this type of lingo for chat rooms and "other" places that probably have an "R" rating. Now, I only explain all of this so that you can better understand what would happen if you and I were standing in the same room when you posted #26.

/blankstare; /beckon Bill; /slap Bill; /blankstare; /walkaway;

Just an FYI.
/lol;

sure, but im a procrastinator ;D and you will have daytime running lights if you wire it the way i would. low beams would come on full power (normal lows) with ignition.

funny you should mention xtreme, im actually rockin a pair of 12s in my honda now, and i had another mounted (no, im NOT making this up) in my couch. also mounted a subwoofer panel amp on the back to run it. sounded awesome, great impact with not much sound required, not that that ever stopped me from turning it up. nice thing about those woofers is that they dont require a huge box. i also had four orion C2 10s in the wifes cavvy for a soundoff once, ill have to grab that picture after supper (im cookin right now)

I didn't catch the daytime running lights thing... hmm, not sure I want that. I'd still like to be able to shut them off. Now you've got me back to square one and I am totally lost again. /sigh;

A sub in a couch... oh the possibilities that I never thought of... /evilgrins;
The AMC Eagle

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
chas, funny you should say that ...... for the last 3 years i have been playing the online game World of Warcraft, I know it's a little underground and they don't advertise much :P
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 09:46:12 PM »
chas, funny you should say that ...... for the last 3 years i have been playing the online game World of Warcraft, I know it's a little underground and they don't advertise much :P

WoW is for boyscouts!

I'm still stuck on SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) and I beta tested Lord Of The Rings and Stargate Worlds.. both ok, but what I'm REALLY looking forward to is "Star Wars - The Old Republic" online... look it up, you will love it even if you're not a Star Wars fan...
The AMC Eagle

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
the world of warcraft has me addicted and like any other real good addiction they started me out with a free trial, then once i was hooked they made me pay for my fix (think of me twitching in the corner of a hotel room in Iowa).  the only way i am going kick that addiction ........ ready for it ............. DIABLO 3
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
the world of warcraft has me addicted and like any other real good addiction they started me out with a free trial, then once i was hooked they made me pay for my fix (think of me twitching in the corner of a hotel room in Iowa).  the only way i am going kick that addiction ........ ready for it ............. DIABLO 3

LOL!!! Dude, I had no idea you were a fellow VIDiot! That's awesome... yeah, thats why I owned a 3k Alienware laptop so that when I was on trips - I could get my fix, LOL! Too funny man! I was playing SWG at the first meet up in the hotel room, LOL!
The AMC Eagle

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »
i found out AFTER i got home that there was a little trick i could have done to my netbook to allow it to play WoW, install the game onto an 8 gb thumbdrive and load it and play it from the thumbdrive on the netbook (worthless, they are truely worthless).  The funny part is that the only reason i bought my macintosh was to have a  computer in the house that only i understand so that i can play my game.  Kinda off subject but funny, My wife and i took our daughter to the meet the teacher night tonight (first grade) and in the class room they have 2 Dell PCs and a macintosh.  As we where getting ready to leave i commented how back when i was in grade school we had macs in class rooms and in the school's computer room, she said how she likes to get kids familar with a mac because of the ease of use when I said "what kinda bribe would it take to skip that lesson with my daughter, so i can be greedy with my computer"  That prompted my wife to kick me in the leg and reply "he's only kidding".  Now i have to find out the teachers cost on my own so that i can be greedy with my pretty machine >:D   
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 10:44:58 PM »
this way, like venosho stated above, and i modified, after he modified my picture :P will get you fogs and no DRLs

and to head off back to another tangent, heres my orions:

and yet another topic in one post, thought i had another shot but i guess not, heres my couch back, only shows the amp panel:

the sub was on the opposite side, in a small shallow box, rear firing
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »
BIll you crack me up man... sounds like you!

amcinstaller... you are da MAN... I love the way you have those subs set up. And the couch looks like it was MADE to be that way. Very nice.
Those Xtremes look like the EXACT same one I had, except it was a 15". Unless those are actual orions and they just have a similar design. hard to see the pick. I just recognize that silver color with the blue writing.

But hey... can you make that darn picture bigger of the relays?
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 11:03:46 PM »
photof***it screws it up because of the width, ill see what i can do though.

those are orions, theyre black with blue writing, and look kinda pale in that light. with a monster amp (pioneer 3000SPL) it did about 145dB. woulda won the show i went to but i got DQ'd. also gave my buddy veritgo LMAO. i burped it with him in it (hes not accustomed to such loud) and he freaked. bailed and just cratered. wasnt the same all day. burped at 10 am, he wasnt right till about 8 that night ;D
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »
burped at 10 am, he wasnt right till about 8 that night ;D

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!
The AMC Eagle

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 12:35:37 AM »

There is one thing to remember here with this diagram to note that not everyone here may have noticed this but with that setup you will have daytime running lights. if you do not want to have daytime running lights on your system you would need to run separately operated relays one for the low beams activated by the low beam power wire and then the one for the high beam activated by the high beam wire. Here is how I would wire it as to not have daytime running lights. The input wires from the light switch are the harness wires behind the head lights. Just cut and crimp on the new connector to plug onto the relay.

I just noticed this... had I paid closer attention to this days ago... *sigh*
Thanks Veno AND AMCinstaller.... HUGE help guys!
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »
yea, it was all in the quote and i couldnt see anything changed or anything when i blew over it, i had to go back and read it all to make sure i wrote it all, but i didnt. i guess i just do it like that automatically because DRLs are law in Canada. lets see if this works, i cut and pasted, i know, the easy way out:

looks ok to me (dual 19" widescreen monitors, 2880x900 resolution)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:01:27 AM by amcinstaller »
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
Perfect!

My headlights work just as planned and now that I know how to do them, I will have Brandon document everything as we upgrade his at the meet and together - we'll post a "how to" thread. It seemed really complicated in the begining because there quite a few modifications required... but now that I know how to do it - I could do it with my eyes closed. It will be a good write up. Thanks for everyone's help!

Also... I got my turn signals fixed and they are now flashing like they should. I used load resistors to fix that problem. Not worried about the heat that's generated from them since they will rarely be on long enough to really harm anything and really.... even if I did leave them on for hours, there's nothing there to harm where I have them installed.

Thanks again! Blinkers and blinking andf headlights are NOT. She's perfect!

And PS - with this setup for my headlights... they are UBER blinding bright when the hi-beams are on!
The AMC Eagle

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:58 PM »
i am glad to hear that your headlight woes are over
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »
Just watch out for planes landing on your Eagle with those bright searchlights.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 10:41:02 PM »
happy to have helped. load resistors are great to use for alot of things. also you could have alternatively used LED rated flasher as well. but all in all, problem solved, way to go!

and in my overcomplicating ways, i was thinking of another way to do the fogs. havent drawn it so im not sure itd work. meh, whatever, ill leave it rattle around in the hamster wheel up there with all my other completely hairbrained ideas. ;D
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 10:49:11 PM »
It just got dark and I was able to test the lights for the first time in the dark... The low/hi's switch as they are supposed to, but I'm not sure that I'm getting the "hi-beam" out of the bulbs when I actually turn them on. All four bulbs kick on when I turn on the hi's but not sure they are in "hi".... remember, they are the bulbs that have the hi/low in one bulb.

The car is outside my workplace and there are alot of lights... I will know more when I test them on the road on my way home in the picth black. Also, need another person to swicth the hi/low for me while im watching the outside bulbs to see if they change intensity.

As for the load resistor... I agree, but I have tons of them and I've been wanting to try them out for awhile now. The high intensity flasher or "trailer flasher" was like $50 if I remember correctly and these were like $2 a piece because I bought them in bulk thinking I'd have to use one for each LED bulb. I only needed one per circuit.... one for left side and one for right side. And as far as I know, the life on these should outlast a regular flash by far. So, all in all - I'm happy.

And my fog lights work just fine, they just don't appear to be very bright. I don' that hooking them up to a relay would do much since I re-ran the power wire anyways. I also installed a new switch. They come on with the accesory, but there is a typical kill switch. You think a relay would grant them a bit more power to brighten them up?
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »
you might not see much change in intensity, but more a change in angle. even if you pull in facing a wall, you can check if the beams go up and down, and then check aim later on. as for adding a relay for fogs, if it aint broke  dont fix it. if youre still using the OEM marchals like i read somewhere, you may just be seeing what 25-30 yr old lights are capable of. but check the beams with the wall, then check the aim on a dark road at night (my favourite way) or use the chart, if you can find one.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
you might not see much change in intensity, but more a change in angle. even if you pull in facing a wall, you can check if the beams go up and down, and then check aim later on. as for adding a relay for fogs, if it aint broke  dont fix it. if youre still using the OEM marchals like i read somewhere, you may just be seeing what 25-30 yr old lights are capable of. but check the beams with the wall, then check the aim on a dark road at night (my favourite way) or use the chart, if you can find one.

Yup, I think you're right on all accounts man. The foglights have been majorly cleaned so they are like brand new glass and they have brand new bulbs... just not that bright and they may not be as bad as I think simply because my headlights are pretty bright and they just kinda over power them.

As for the brights.... the low beam fixtures are changing, so I assume that when the hi-beam fixtures kick on.... all of them must be in "hi-mode". They don't seem as bright as before because they are aimed really really bad right now and shooting way too high and spread apart. Once I get them homed in... they should work great.

I noticed this because I could see the tops of trees from about a half mile away, LOL!

I need to see about upgrading my original marchall foglights... I'd like to swap out the fixture for the bulb so that I have more options... so I need to figure out where I can find the "best" foglight bulb and then get a fixture from there. Rig it up... run it through a relay... and then see how bad@$$ they are. Alot of the newer foglights are using actual headlight bulbs.... the bulb inside these old foggers look like glorfied 194 bulbs.... which are the same bulbs in our side markers.

I'll post more as I go along.... once everything is nice and bright, I'll be posting that full-write up with an easy step-by-step guide.
The AMC Eagle

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
You do realize fog lights are not supposedto be bright right. Your starting to talkabout offroad lights

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
yea, simpson is right. the most youll see (if you can, might not see around the hood) is the ground directly in front of you light up. fogs are supposed to stay below the fog, more or less. that way the light doesnt just beam you back in the face. what im thinking is that the lenses on your fogs are all clouded up with age, and the reflectors on the inside are pitted and turning black. i dont know quite what your looked like but i found a set that looked alot like factory (same size and shape only chrome) from a local excess supply store (princess auto, i dont know the american equivalent, or if they might be down there) bolted right up and made a world of difference on my 92 kee.

(<--- holy crap, 1001 missed my 1000)
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline EaglePilot

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
Yes, fog lights are only supposed to be on together with parking lights, otherwise they are wasted.
In heavy fog you are blinded if anything bright shines into the fog and is of course reflected back to the driver.
Real fog lights used to be yellow to penetrate the fog better and to be reflected back less than white light.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »
Yeah I understand all of that... lenses aren't dirty. I pulled them all apart and cleaned them - they are like brand new. I have them aimed to be used as traditonal foglights as well. Just still thought they'd be brighter. I guess I'm just used to the Jeep and Blazer.

I think they are working just fine... just an old light that isn't as bright as I expected.

Now my issues have spread... time for a new post for this one though...

The AMC Eagle

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
Bump! I think this thread needs a sticky! As more people will want to do this conversion! I know I am in the process of it myself (IN THE FUTURE!) Big thanks for the diagram to BTW! EPIC info.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk