News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:41:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Broken Thermostat housing :(  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Viscount02

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Broken Thermostat housing :(
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
Welp. Got out with reinstalling my valve cover (finally had time off of work for it) and we were in the process of repairing the thermostat when-- It snapped while being tightened down. Needless to say I'm unhappy with it but is there a replacement I can buy? Preferably something newer that has some sort of decent quality? I want to get my 85' wagon up and going since its my daily driver right now.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:04:15 AM by Viscount02 »

Offline Viscount02

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Broken Thermostat housing :(
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »
That's good to hear. My friend who is helping me is really bummed it snapped on him. I figure a 29 year old part would fail eventually. That's the main reason restoring aka replacing many of the internal parts.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:15:10 PM by Viscount02 »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »
They are easy to break if you are not really careful reinstalling them, no matter how many you have done in the past.  I hold my breath whenever I do one.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Viscount02

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
ohh Good tip! I was unaware of that. Iowa, thank you for that. That certainly deserves a good egg.

*edit* Update--

I have it installed. my friend wanted to install it dry but I really thought it should have a gasket and some RTV-black. I had the silicone sealer but I'm out of time as I need the car for tomorrow for work. It's curing right now and I hope 6hrs will be enough for it to set right up and be workable. We swapped out the thermostat so I hope that solves my heat issue that I'm having.

How much torque should I apply to these bolts?

Also, the new valve cover looks wonderful. That plastic POS is finally gone from that car. Now to figure out those vile vacuum lines.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:07:46 PM by Viscount02 »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »
Uneven torquing is probably the culprit.  I like to go back and forth as I snug them down, the TSM says to do it that way too.  Also make sure the thermostat is properly seated within the recess if it is a  little bit out of the recess it will make for a cracked housing.  13 foot pounds is the recommended torque.  I do install mine "dry" with only a little bit of hi-tack to keep the gasket in place.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
Just in case it is difficult to find a good t-stat housing, I found a good one at Car Quest today. Paid $14.00 for it and it appears to be made of cast iron.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk