News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 27, 2024, 10:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A gift from my son inlaw 83 Eagle wagon  (Read 2573 times)

Offline gregorylawyer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • 1983 Eagle
A gift from my son inlaw 83 Eagle wagon
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »
 :censored: The Eagle was road ready or so i thought (son in law no making points)  I left Minnesota with my New Eagle, in Rapid City, S.D. I realized I was dumping oil like a Texas oil well, I'm a retired mechanic with no tools and a leaky valve cover, a job for Bubba's Auto, 2 gaskets later I was ready for the road the next morning....not I made it 70 miles before dumping 3 1/2 qts, stopped at the exit for the devils Tower WY. Had it towed back to Bubba's a new valve cover and it stilled leaked  ??? well I got under the hood and discovered it was building up to much pressure in the crank case, so remove the PCV and no leak or very little  the next 1100 miles were some what  trouble free until I got stopped in Washington for smoking, well I've had the Eagle home for a week now (Goldendale, WA.)  and a chrome breather for the pcv, another valve cover gasket, removed miles of vacuum hose, tweeked the timing and carb settings and she goes pretty good. have had the chance to drive in some snow and it handled excellent. Then a very muddy road I thought I had made a mistake going down this darn little thing plowed thru like it was the thing to do. Don't tell my son in law but this is a bad assembly 4x4. as soon as I figure out how to post a pic .....................Any one have a shifter for a auto with a good release cable?
Greg Lawyer
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:22:23 PM by Whuntmore »

Prafeston

Re: A gift from my son inlaw 83 Eagle wagon
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »
Sounds like quite a task getting that thing home! These old Eagles are notorious for their leaky valve cover...sounds like you need to invest in an aluminum one. Your current plastic cover is probably warped. I properly seating cover shouldn't need that many gasket replacements!

Judging by your profile picture the Eagle appears to be in pretty nice shape. You'll need to start uploading some pictures into a photobucket account to share them with us.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:21:45 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline bigdog56e

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 65
Re: A gift from my son inlaw 83 Eagle wagon javascript:void(0);
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »
  I used a Ford Pinto shifter in my Eagle.
                                                       Eddie

Offline gregorylawyer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • 1983 Eagle
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:01 PM »
here's a few pic from the ride home,

Offline gregorylawyer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • 1983 Eagle

Prafeston

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:51:07 PM »
Looks a lot like mine, but mine is the brown instead of the maroon. You have a bit of paint fade, but she looks nice.

And you have mud flaps! :)

I still have to install mine. I tried painting them black, but I don't think the paint is going to hold well. They need to be like dyed or something.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »
I can't believe how good that Eagle looks. Also, the trim looks a little weird for that reason. For some reason I don't want to see this car repainted.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline gregorylawyer

• Hatchling