News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:53:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Not Starting, has fuel and spark, timing is good too.  (Read 2446 times)

Offline garrettw

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Eagle Not Starting, has fuel and spark, timing is good too.
« on: April 17, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
Completely at a loss here. Car is a 4.2l automatic  I have replaced the starter, alternator, carbuerator,and  battery cables.

When I first replaced the carb, this thing fired right up and idled like a dream. No backfire or nothing, so im assuming timing is fine.

Even after doing this, the engine just cranks, and cranks, and cranks. Everyonce in awhile itll speed up and act like its about to start. Ive tried shooting starter fluid in it and even that wont start it. Ive looked in the carb and see a steady stream of fuel shoot out when I look. Pulled the plug wires and got good spark.  My battery cables were in horrible shape so I replaced them with 2 guage cable.

Same thing. Still over and over again just cranking. Ive seen other posts talking about the vacuum lines and some “solonoid” that could cause it. But I have zero clue where to check for that. The lines seem to all be connected too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:10:54 PM by garrettw »

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Eagle Not Starting, has fuel and spark, timing is good too.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 02:43:43 PM »
I assume by "steady stream of fuel" you mean coming from the accelerator pump when you move the throttle??   If its a a steady stream out of the venturis, carb is flooding (shouldn't see any fuel from the venturis).

Also, put a timing light on it while cranking.   If the timing chain skipped a few cogs (your description is a classic symptom of that), the timing mark will be way off somewhere other than where it should be.

Good luck.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
its also possible youve flooded it real bad. Hold the throttle wide open for 30 seconds or so to air it out then crank it while still wide open.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline garrettw

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
honestly im clueless on carbs, this is my first ever one. I looked up a venturis and I believe that is what the fuel is shooting out of. But Im also curiuous about the timing light, ill try that first before I try and unflood it

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
I had something similar to this happen with my 80 wagon a few years ago and it ended up being that both my ECU and coil had gone out on me. Both are very easy to get and easy to replace at least for me they were just remember that when you are unplugging stuff you have to be very careful as the plastic connectors can tend to get a little brittle and break.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 11:35:08 PM »
hi, also check neutral safety switch, try in neutral  gz

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
If It's cranking then the Neutral safety is ok. Check the wire at the starter solenoid to make sure you have 12 volts while cranking. Should be a yellow wire. Then check yellow wire at the ignition coil for 12 volts while cranking. If that's all good,  pull the cap off the distributor and see that the rotor is spinning while cranking. If that's good then like maddog says, look at ecu connections and maybe replacement.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 05:00:01 PM »
OOPPs ! Just reread your post. I thought you said no spark. My mistake .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »
yeah I just reread it myself and I initially thought it said no spark as well but after re-reading it I seen that you said you had good spark so yet timing being off would be my guess also.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk