News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not impressed  (Read 5198 times)

Offline eaglefan

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Not impressed
« on: March 13, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
 :newbie:
I joined the forum hoping to tap into your large knowledge base.  Maybe I just didn't put it in the correct place, but I asked a simple question and no one has replied :-[.  The question being was the original woodgrain decal a high gloss or more of a satin finish?  I am repainting my 88 wagon and need to replace the woodgrain.  I have several parts I hav not been able to locate as well. Mostly barrel and trim clips as well as fender flare clips.

eaglefan

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Not impressed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »
It is a lot slower here than years past. I cannot answer your question on the laminate. I did see it (your post) and it was probs in the right area. The clips maybe try to match up in the "help" section at a parts store. Or look up member tenesseefarmer, see when he was last active and maybe ask him on clips. He used to have a bunch back in the day.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefan

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  It is nice to know someone is really there.  I did or think I did send him a private message about the clips, no reply yet.  Can you tell me where to post about finding the very small plastic vacuum line use under the dash?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
Did you try an email to tenfarm. That vac line take to a parts store to compare. A heads up, vacuum will suck in a rubber hose. Make sure it won't collapse on itself.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefan

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »
I honestly don't know how I found him the first time.  Not sure I can do it again.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »
I have used this http://www.carpak.com/ used their catalog to find the part number and either ordered from them or searched the part number they had the catalog to find other suppliers for trim fasteners.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38581.0

So if you click on his profile on the left, you should see his listed email.  Iirc he was active on the 8th of this month.

Edited to say we lost his picturesque catalog of what he had, but his info is in the actual post.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:11:54 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 08:09:45 PM »
Yes, send an email to Tennessee Farmer, he should get back to you pretty quick and has a real good supply of fasteners.

I don't know the answer to your question about the woodgrain trim either.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:18 PM »
Yes, this place used to be jamming. I sold my last Eagle about 3 years ago and come here to help out once in a while. I have no experience with an Eagle with vinyl woodgrain.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 11:47:07 PM »
I would call the woodgrain finish "eggshell"; not too shiny, but not too satin either.   Look at some of the DI-NOC offerings to see what I mean.   Don't have to go with the original finish either!   Try a different color/grain!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
For the wood grain replacement this is a good start point.
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Replacing_Exterior_Woodgrain_Vinyl
You might also want to try this site. https://www.stripeman.com/ they have been around a while looks to have good “professional grade” as claimed products. They are pricy.
car-pak might be your best bet for the clips. I took all the Crome trim off mine except the windows because of broken clips. Trying to preserve it I felt it was best to store than to have a couple loose pieces and one that was off thanks to the p.o.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 05:10:21 PM »
Good point Taylor. I put mediocre clips on my windshield trim once. Long story short i caught it while driving on the interstate.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »
No idea on the woodgrain, my 1988 wagon was naked from the factory.  But I can confirm that 18 months ago TennFarmer still had all the trim clips I needed.

Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk