News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For cryin' out loud! Upper hose drama.  (Read 4514 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
For cryin' out loud! Upper hose drama.
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
Went to go wash up my Eagle today and as I was washing it i kept smelling anti freeze. I popped the hood and nothing looked out of place, so I kind of disregarded it. I pulled out of the car wash and got about a half mile up the road and all of a sudden the dreaded explosion of steam and water. I limped it into a parking lot which as "luck" would have it had an auto zone, and an O'Reilys and a napa caddy corner to it....Go figure none had the upper radiator hose so I had to buy a 30 dollar flex hose. I also ordered the correct one but it wont be in for a few days. Ive never really used one of these hoses before....i guess my question is, how reliable are they? It looks a little awkward but it seems to be holding water.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: For cryin' out loud! Upper hose drama.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »
I ran one on my mustang after I built the motor and put in a larger radiator.  I couldnt find anything that worked so I went with the flex hose and decided to revisit the issue later.  No issues at all.  that was triple digit temperatures and fiery burnouts too.  They are made out of the same materials, the only issues that can arise is if they dont bend around certain things and they start to get sawed on by things under the hood.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:33 PM »
Good to know...Ill probably be running it for a while until my new one arrives...and I can find the time to make the swap.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
I carry two flex hoses in the Eagle. One for the upper and one for the lower. Just because.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
flex hoses are not the best looking ones but they´re very reliable,trouble is when you don´t have one at hand.greets.
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »
Well she made it to the rambler ranch and back with no problems....and hopefully there and back tomorrow....I got the hose that's supposed to be on it on and its a bit fatter so I couldn't get the stupid clamp between the valve cover and the hose so its up a little higher than I like, but I'm not too worried.....there will be 20+ seasoned eaglers there incase somthing does go south.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk