News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modifying stock Eagle gauge cluster to work with XJ stuff  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Modifying stock Eagle gauge cluster to work with XJ stuff
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:59:59 PM »
I've been working on ways to get my Eagle gauge cluster to work properly with the full 1994 XJ drivetrain / fuel tank & sender/ everything swap I did into my Eagle. Everything from the 94 XJ is in my Eagle now.

The temp, voltage and oil aren't an issue. The fuel and speedo are what I am concerned with. The XJ uses different resistances for these, and the speedometer is mechanical in the Eagle but electronic in the XJ. Someone at one point told me that the XJ requres the electronic signal for the PCM.

My idea is to basically replace the rear printed board with actual wires directly to each gauge and light.

Anyone have some good ideas to help me along?

Offline Keystothejeepeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Modifying stock Eagle gauge cluster to work with XJ stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:59 AM »
I did this with a YJ drivetrain, and I just swapped the mechanical speedo and never looked back.  Haven't had any running issues without the speed sensor hooked up.  Can't say if the XJ is going to be exactly the same, but I used a 92 4.0 HO. Should be the same as the 94.

As for fuel I didn't change the sending unit, only added the fuel pump.  Gas gage didn't change, so that might not help you.

:eaglebig:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk