News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 08:59:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iron Duke Compatability  (Read 5882 times)

Offline phantomlvii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Iron Duke Compatability
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »
Will any Iron Duke fit in an eagle, what about the super duty block that the dirt track guys use.  Will they bolt right in?  I was brainstorming about more power.  I like the idea of a decently powerful 4 cylinder eagle.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:53:02 AM by phantomlvii »
If everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Offline phantomlvii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Iron Duke Compatability
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
anyone?
If everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Offline nwamcsx

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
I could be wrong but I think the important issue is front axle attachment points.  The front axle attaches to the block.  So I would believe this would eliminate the Super Duty.  I need to find out if newer Iron Dukes with EFI have these attachment points, as I would love to put one in my SX/4.  I hear the S-10 pickups have the best block combo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:08:56 PM by nwamcsx »

Offline phantomlvii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
I am assuming that would out of a 4 wheel drive S-10, for the front axel mounts?

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:43 PM »
nope, 4wd S-10s use a different 4wd setup (I believe a torque arm).  you could fabricate a subframe that mounts the front diff (kinda like the kit floating around to put a 360 in an eagle).  If I had the chance to take a look at a 4cyl eagle i could probly come up with something that would work.   
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:35:30 PM »
I just got a call from the machine shop.  They have just finished the work on my Iron Duke.  They bored it out .30 over and polished the crank .10 under.  I think I have finally found a supplier for a flat top piston.  I will be getting the head, block and crank back from the shop next time I am home.  I think I will be able to get a couple more horses out of this little engine yet.  I am also going to port and polish the intake and will be building a set of exhaust headers.

I will let you know how it behaves when I am done.
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline phantomlvii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
keep me updated, i would be interested to see how much more power it makes.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:19:38 AM »
I was thinking about re-powering my '82 Spirit (that is also getting Eagle running gear to make it an SX4) with a 4 cyl AMC motor with EFI from a TJ. It already has a 4.2L so I will probably just finish it off with EFI from a '91 XJ I'm parting. (Rear axle is going to be 3.08 Chrysler 8.25 as soon as I can clear the other rigs out of my garage I'm renting)

I forgot to mention that Iron Dukes came with 2 different patterns. Early ones (up til '80) and ones used in most boats are SBC pattern. Later ones are 2.8 Chev 60 degree pattern (Same as AMC 4 cyl)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:22:04 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 10:51:07 PM »
I was thinking about re-powering my '82 Spirit (that is also getting Eagle running gear to make it an SX4) with a 4 cyl AMC motor with EFI from a TJ. It already has a 4.2L so I will probably just finish it off with EFI from a '91 XJ I'm parting. (Rear axle is going to be 3.08 Chrysler 8.25 as soon as I can clear the other rigs out of my garage I'm renting)

I've rolled that idea around my own head if I ever get the money to pick up a Kammback. The late AMC 4s were within spitting distance of the late 258s in power and torque. With 3.54 gears and overdrive I'm betting the smaller Eagles would be pretty peppy.

I believe the 4cylinder eagles had a different bracket for the front diff. All the 1980 cars did too.  Also, I don't know if you're familiar with the Fiero forum, they have lots of Iron Duke info.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eagledreamer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
Greetings,

I know this is an old post but got some info on the Iron Duke... I built one up in the mid 70's and got about 200 hp out of it with some minor mods. I bored it .125 over, from 3.875 to 4.000,  and used 4 inch flat top pistons from a stock 327 Chevy, reworked the head, clearanced the crank, put in an Isky 232 cam, had a custom-built intake designed around a tunnel ram for a small block Chevy with a reworked Holley 500cfm two barrel, dual point distributor and a header. It was a sweet running engine... The engine was built by a guy in Albuquerque that built circle track cars. Some other additions I wanted to but didn't get to were roller rockers, high volume oil pump, electric fan, MSD ignition... and a few more things to get some more giddyup out out of it... For a four cylinder, it had quite a bit snort... Anyway to answer some other questions, the front axle will need a new mount. The older four cylinders had the intake on the drivers side which may have some interference problems with the front driveshaft and I'm not sure about the transmission/bell housing bolt up to the Eagle drivetrain. There are some good books out there on how to build up the Chevy six cylinders which are basically the same as the fours minus two cylinders. There's my two cents worth on the subject.... Questions??? Ask away... I've got six Eagles, wags, SX/4s and a Kammback, I've been playing with for years... Have an Eagle day...  :0)     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk