News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: heater valve  (Read 2576 times)

Offline sandmtnjeep

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
heater valve
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »
I am just trying to understand how the heater valve functions.  I replaced the heater core and am checking out the rest of the system.  I am getting no vacuum at the port on the valve.  What position should the heater controls be in to have vacuum?  Also my temperature gauge reads extremely low is this normal?  Thermostat was replaced as well as the radiator cap.  Thanks for any help. :amc:

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: heater valve
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
I think you will have vacuum there when you turn on the A/C diverting water around heater core instead of thru others will reply if this is wrong also my temperature gauge just gets up to the edge of the green, so very low

Offline sandmtnjeep

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »
Thanks, that is where my gauge reads also so no need to change the sending unit.  Where does the vacuum come from to operate the valve?

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Vacuum for the heater valve comes from the HVAC control head.  There should be two lines going through the firewall, one from the vacuum source to the HVAC control unit, and one coming back out to the valve.  There is a switch on top of the control head that should send vacuum to the valve when the temp slider is at the far left (cool setting) OR when the A/C is on.  Apparently these switches frequently crack and create a vacuum leak.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline sandmtnjeep

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:39 PM »

Thanks for that good info.  I'll check the lines first then if necessary look at the control head.  Are these available anywhere?

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »
The control heads would only be from a salvage yard (or kind Samaritan) at this point.  Good news is that the vacuum switch portion is modular, you can take that off the bigger head assembly and replace just that piece.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:16:16 AM by amarshall »
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk