News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:59:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: attempting to get my 83 eagle sx/4 driveable  (Read 5190 times)

Offline 1983EagleHatchback

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
attempting to get my 83 eagle sx/4 driveable
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »
I finally got my car back from the mechanic who supposedly fixed my brakes. I got hosed. He only did like a couple things, most was never even looked at and I was charged $1536.41 for this supposed brake job I never really got. Its being sorted out bit by bit. I changed the oil and oil filter myself then last weekend I changed the automatic transmission filter, the gasket and the transmission oil. The car needs a lot yet. And I really don't like the car anymore at all since I got so royally hosed on the brake job. Now I just see it and hate the :censored: car. But I'm stuck with the thing. SoI'm fixing the thing bit by bit. I hope to one day sell it once its driveable and safe.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: attempting to get my 83 eagle sx/4 driveable
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »
I hope your not paying that. You can get all the parts to do a complete brake job for $250 from RockAuto . That's calipers ,drums , discs ,shoes ,pads , hardware kit ... Bring it over and I'll help you and you can learn how easy it is .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »
What mo.e said!!   Don't hate the car; hate the dirt-bag mechanic that ripped you.   Get the law involved, and get your hard-earned cash back.    Eagle brakes aren't rocket science, and shouldn't cost anywhere near that much; no matter how messed and/or rusted up!!   

I feel for you -- I've been a mechanic for decades; and I've never gouged anyone ever.   However, in today's society; greed is king.....and it's only going to get worse.   Off my soapbox now.......
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:06:59 AM »
I had no choice in the matter. I was told we were picking it up and my dad paid the bill and we loaded it on the trailer and left. Nothing really was done to it. It was supposed to have all the brake lines replaced and all wheel cylinders replaced, and the master cylinder replaced, and all front brakes and parts were supposed to be replaced, all back brakes were supposed to be replaced. Instead the brake lines never were touched, the back brakes never got done and the wheels were never even removed in the back, the brake petal went straight to the floor when we arrived and the brake lights in the taillights stayed on all the time. the only thing I can even see he did was to replace the master cylinder with one that once was new but now has rust on it, replace the brake booster, and the calipers and brake rotors. None of the work appears to have been done with any real quality at all. And since I'm being forced to pay my dad back this $1500 plus bill and since I'm not being allowed to replace the spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, or distributer cap and I'm not allowed to remove the radiator and take it somewhere to have it checked out even though the car sat since 2001...I feel its totally justify able for me to hate the car. I wish I had someone who had the time and knowledge about this to help me. But since that isn't going to happen and we no longer have access to a trailer, I guess I just have to deal with this,,,thing. Next I get to have the front end dealt with. Tie rod ends and all that fun. I'm sure that will cost a ton too. And I haven't even had anyone go over the 4 x 4 system yet, tons more cash I'm sure. I sure love this car...not.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:15:48 AM by 1983EagleHatchback »

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
sounds like it is not your car if you are not allowed to work on it

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
No, its my car. It's paid for in full and I owe no one one penny for the car, I have it paid for in full. But until I can pay my dad back the entire $1536.41 he paid to the mechanic, he is going to tell me what I can and can't and won't replace on it. I'm 43 but I may as well be 10.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 12:18:23 AM »
i think you and your dad should take that shop to court because if they said they had replaced everything and then (as you said) didn't then that constitutes theft and fraud on the part of the shop. I would also report them to the better business bureau (BBB).
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
DITTO maddog !!
tach and gauge package
A/C
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »
I'm curious - you said mechanic - did you take it to a automotive  business or some guy working in his backyard. We've all been ripped off before but never like that.  You also seem knowledgeable about parts & what you want to do so I'm wondering why you're not doing it yourself except if you happen to have some physical disabilities. I'm working on another major project & there is no way I could afford to have a professional do the job when I know its more time consuming than anything else.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
Yes it was an actual shop. I do not have the money for the court nor the time for days off in court nor the money for lawyers fees to fight it. Next best thing I can do is spread the word and tell people not to go to that guy. I'm not gonna lie, I wish I had the money and time to go to court, but my dad won't hear of it, the money for the court fees and lawyers isn't there and if I took those days off work I wouldn't have a job anymore. Does it suck? heck yes. I'd love to just take this jerk for all he has like he did me. I'd also love to give you the name and location of the guys shop and his first and last name, but my dad insists on not doing that. My hands are pretty tied on what I can do on this car. And pretty much he wants me to just do nothing that makes any sense on it. I can't replace hoses or spark plugs or distributer cap and rotor or remove the radiator and have it tested and checked and if things get too far stupid here, I'm just gonna sell this stupid car and be rid of it.

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 12:11:18 PM »
I don't want to sound too harsh on you - I can see your frustration - but the car isn't stupid. When we all purchase automobiles 30-40 years old we expect to repair them. A brand new car sitting that long - never started - will still need repairs. Gaskets alone need to be replaced. Small Claims court is not expensive - I've bee there - less than $50 to file a claim and in most courts I understand - Attorneys are not allowed. If you can prove Fraud - damages are doubled.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »
I agree with AMC1 ! Take it to small claims and contact the BBB .  It's amazing how much you can get done when the BBB is involved .
tach and gauge package
A/C
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
I really think you should go to small claims court, but if you don't want to then you should at the very least contact the BBB.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk