News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What cycles the AC compressor?  (Read 10864 times)

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
What cycles the AC compressor?
« on: July 18, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »
I'm getting ready to convert my AC system over to 134a.  I have a new drier and expansion valve on my workbench and plan to flush the system and drain the compressor of old oil.
My question is... What cycles the compressor on and off?  Shouldn't there be a pressure switch somewhere?  I'm going to go back and look again but I didn't see one.
1983 Eagle Wagon 6 cylinder/Automatic 4x4

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: What cycles the AC compressor?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »
hi, afaik, with the switch in either AC, or, Max AC position, just turning the fan on activates the system, ie, turns on your ac. good luck, gz

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
There should be a low pressure and/or high pressure switch, but I no longer have an Eagle to look. Here's another thread. http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43466.0
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
I forgot what year your car was -- but if its an '82 or later, with factory AC, and a 6-cylinder; the switch should be in the line close up by the dryer (left front of the engine bay).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
What year is your Eagle?  I'm not an expert on AC, but it is my understanding that for the earlier Eagles (pre 84 or 85) with the York compressors, there was no pressure switch.  The pressure switch on the later Eagles was to the left (driver's side) of the radiator where the hoses come through for the condenser, and it fed into the power feed to the compressor.

I converted to the Sanden (rotary) compressor from an 85 Eagle when the York compressor on my 80 Eagle coupe went bad.  I wanted to put that pressure switch into one of the AC hoses on my Eagle, but couldn't find a shop to make a short adaptor hose that would connect with the existing hoses.  It would have required making a full new hose and I didn't want to go through the bother of pulling the AC box in the car to attach the new hose, so I went without the switch.

As far as activating the compressor, its like amcfool1 says, turning on the fan while its in AC or Max AC position will turn on the compressor.  I think the AC "thermostat" (not the right term, but its the little probe that sticks into the evaporator) will then turn the compressor off once the desired temp is reached.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:42:11 PM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
There is a low pressure switch at the sight glass . It is located on the drivers side of the radiator .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
I found it... as per previous post above... it's on the drivers side of the radiator right where I overlooked it...   ::)
 Thanks everybody!

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 03:51:49 PM »
The AC system on this Eagle actually has a charge... just not enough to cool things down.  It's been so long since I have messed with an R12 system that I totally didn't consider simply adding R12 to this vehicle.    Everything that I've worked on lately either has 134a or has already been converted.  Now I just need to find adapter fittings for my gauge set...

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »
The AC system on this Eagle actually has a charge... just not enough to cool things down.  It's been so long since I have messed with an R12 system that I totally didn't consider simply adding R12 to this vehicle.    Everything that I've worked on lately either has 134a or has already been converted.  Now I just need to find adapter fittings for my gauge set...

Where were you able to find the r12? I've been looking on ebay and don't want to get ripped off but I have my Eagle and a 71 ford pickup that haven't been converted yet.
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
If you can keep it R12 that is the best thing to do. With r134, my Eagle cooled mediocre at best.

Where were you able to find the r12? I've been looking on ebay and don't want to get ripped off but I have my Eagle and a 71 ford pickup that haven't been converted yet.
Try Craigslist. There was 4 cases somewhat local to me about a month ago. The guy wanted $150 for a case of 12. I was going to buy all four, but they sold before I got back into town. They typically sell for about $25 a can near me, but I've seen them cheaper and some have wanted $40-50 a can.

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
I use one of those "heavy-on-the-butane" "drop-in" R12 replacements (currently use the Freeze-12 brand, 'cus I got a bargain on a few cases a while back).    Then there are those who tell me my car will explode using this stuff; but I'm not worried since I'm sitting on 15 gallons or so of high explosive every time I go for a drive!!    Your mileage (or fireball) may vary........
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
Try Craigslist. There was 4 cases somewhat local to me about a month ago. The guy wanted $150 for a case of 12. I was going to buy all four, but they sold before I got back into town. They typically sell for about $25 a can near me, but I've seen them cheaper and some have wanted $40-50 a can.
Not really sure why I hadn't tried craigslist yet. I look on there for everything else..
I use one of those "heavy-on-the-butane" "drop-in" R12 replacements (currently use the Freeze-12 brand, 'cus I got a bargain on a few cases a while back).    Then there are those who tell me my car will explode using this stuff; but I'm not worried since I'm sitting on 15 gallons or so of high explosive every time I go for a drive!!    Your mileage (or fireball) may vary........
>:D I'll have to look into it. Is the "drop in" compatible enough that I could have someone use this first and then once i know the system isn't leaking use the real stuff?? I haven't figured out any other real good way to tell if my system is good other than charging with nitrogen and I'm not having a lot of luck getting that done.
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
Supposedly the drop-ins are compatible and mixable per their sales drivel.   I know I've done in on my '85 Eagle with no issues.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »
One issue with mixing them is if you ever need to get it serviced, you may have a hard time finding someone who will evacuate the system for you.

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
Unless you don't tell them what's in it!!    >:D      I have a vacuum pump.............
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7