News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:48:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What rims should I get? links  (Read 4506 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
What rims should I get? links
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Ready for some new wheels. I know there is plenty of info on here but most seem on getting used wheels off other cars to work.

Id like some "craiger" or "aero" steel wheels.    Right now I have the stock steel rims with 235/75/15 good year wranglers. 

I also have a 1in aluminum spacer on the rear to fill the wheel wells a bit.   As of now I am very happy with the stance the eagle has.

I figure Id be able to go to a 8in wide rim or a 7in wide rim from the 6in wide I have now.

Here are the craigers I found that I would like.   

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3425812p/overview/

15x8   5x4.5 bolt   4.5 backspacing and 6mm offset     Think id get away with those? 

The aero wheels I really like but seems only some are DOT approved and the closest Ive found on Summit are these.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aeo-50-184530s/overview/

15x8  3in backspace and -38mm offset.    This could be way off

In a perfect world Id have the aeros, matching the stock or close to it. Wider rim preferred by a inch.  But it looks like the Craiger will be the more straight forward option unless someone else has any pointers.

Not trying to have someone do my homework for me but wont stop anyone from posting a link from Summit/Jegs with the best option for fit from those two wheels.  ;D

as for fender fitment I already have them trimmed a bit and not afraid to do some banging and bending. This is kinda turning into a rat rod rally dirt road ripper.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. 

and these might not even be close since Im still trying to figure out the math. 

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: What rims should I get? links
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
I just put the same size tire on my wagon, 235/75-15.  The tire manufacturer has a recommended wheel width, you should check it for your tires.  Mine said 15x7.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:13:46 PM »
Just for something you can use for a comparison, I went with American Racing 895 16 x 7 wheels with Toyo Open Country AT 215/70-16.  I was really tempted to go with a 225/70 but that would have required some trimming. The wheels have a 40mm offset, and a 5.57 backspacing.

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/brilliantd/media/kammback/Paint%20job%202016/D6338F7C-D67F-4748-B7FA-BBE518EBC2F4_zps16nebc35.jpg.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:00:57 PM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
I feel like if I was gonna get new wheels I'd get something a little fancier than steelies...even if they are a bit cooler looking than our stock steelies.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
Yeah I'm trying to go more for the race/Baja look. Not looking for fancy. I just really don't like the way most of the alloy wheels look on a eagle. For me they just don't do it. They all kind of remind me of the equivalent of a bad tribal tattoo.  Feel like most  are over designed. Or at least over designed for the simple angular design of a eagle.  On some curvy cars maybe not so much.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:50:55 AM by TEagle85 »

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
hi, as a general rule, stay away from circle track wheels for the street. They are race wheels for a reason, ie lighter, and do not like the long term abuse of the street, ie potholes, curbs etc. good luck, gz

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
For sure. I was kinda confused with the Aero 50 description. Says they are for off highway use only but for a stronger wheel for daily use look at the Aero 50.   Which is the wheel that has that description. Besides that the Aero wheels seem to have sizes further from the stock eagle. So Im heavily leaning towards the Craigers.  Or somthing very close if I find a some that are beefed up with a slightly higher price.

They have the 15x7 5x4.5 4.5 backspaced wheel just need to figure out it the link above has the right offset. Ive seen the craiger D-holes on another black wagon here but cant see to find it. I think he listed the measurements of his too. Need to track that thing down.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:37:24 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline John Galt

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
My 1986 with Dodge Magnum wheels with 235-65R17 Goodyear Tires

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk