News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:14:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with my Eagles!!!  (Read 4001 times)

Offline noice87

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Help with my Eagles!!!
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »
I recently bought a 1984 Eagle wagon.  One of the people had gotten it from their grandmother but they could not afford registration on it and it got impounded.  It runs but stealing locked up again.  When I had it running I had to put it in first to get it to go.  After a little bit I could put it into drive.  3 door handles are messed up.

Then I was able to save one from a salvage yard.  It is complete minus carb bowl and filter.  It has front end damage so front passenger fender, hood, bumper are toast.  Battery and radiator are pushed in.  No keys and no title.  I don't know the year on this one.  When I get on my computer I will post pics.  Thanks Steven

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Help with my Eagles!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »
hi, and welcome to the den! door handles are available. what do you mean "stealing locked up again"? good luck, gz

Offline noice87

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
Steering wheel locked and key will not turn so car will not start.

Offline noice87

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 02:24:06 PM »
Good eagle has 3 bad door handles.  Parts eagle has one bad one.  Is it easier to swap out handles or the whole door?  Car will be custom painted anyway.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:28:16 PM »
Good eagle has 3 bad door handles.  Parts eagle has one bad one.  Is it easier to swap out handles or the whole door?  Car will be custom painted anyway.

Less complicated to swap the doors but the doors are heavy and its quite a workout for two people to mount and align the doors.    If it was me I'd swap the handles as its a one person job.

Offline noice87

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »
One of the doors I will have to replace for sure as mine is missing the glass.  No idea how to swap glass over.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »
One of the doors I will have to replace for sure as mine is missing the glass.  No idea how to swap glass over.

That can be a real hassle.  You have to remove the window handle, the door release handle, the door panel, and then position the window so you can get at the bolts(screws?) through the openings in the inner door sheet metal.  When I did it a couple of the bolts(screws) came out easily but on one the nut on the other side of the window (outer) was just turning.  If I remember correctly the nut on the other side is sort of an oddball thing and I used a crescent wrench to hold it but it was very difficult to squeeze the wrench and my hand between the outside of the window and the door sheetmetal.   I did eventually get it after a lot of frustration.  If you've got someone to help I think I'd rather swap the complete door than try to swap the window in the door.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »
The glass isn't hard at all if you're patient.  Swapping doors to me is a total pain in the butt, what with all the alignment and all, depending how you do it. 

You remove the interior handle, remove the door panel, be careful prying out the clips.  Raise the window up until you have access to the two bolts Priya was talking about.  The nuts are enclosed in plastic bow-tie looking pieces that will inevitably spin, so you have to squeeze a hand behind the glass with a wrench to hold them still.  You will be able to fit a 1/2" or so wrench over them in back but it can slip off easily.  Once those two bolts are out, the glass is free from the regulator and can be pulled up and out.  You may have to tilt it as it comes up.  Great time to door new glass channels and sweeps, since you must remove the glass to do those and they're typically cracked after 30 years.

To do a door handle, you need a Torx driver.  Remove the door panel as mentioned above, but just raise the glass with the crank up out of your way.  Disconnect the linkage to the door handle and remove the two Torx screws.  Pop the handle out.  Keep the gasket and re-use it.  They are still available if needed. 

If you're planning a custom paint job, you'll want all this removed to do it right anyway.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline noice87

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have determined the parts car is a 1980 model.

Offline noice87

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »
Still not going yet.  I abandoned the 84 as we discovered a oil leak in rear main seal, radiator leak, turn signal problems, and now the engine started making noise.  While trying to diagnose the turn signal problems we found out my 86 runs and runs better.  It is one step away from being inspected.  We can not find out why the left front blinker will not come on and more.  Ir was working but not now. 

I will be selling my 84 and 80 car soon as a package deal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk