News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear Case installation problem  (Read 2255 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Rear Case installation problem
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »
I removed the rear case while on the car for gasketing purposes. I didn’t rebuild anything. It now won’t line up to snap back into the front case. It will but only if I temporarily remove the viscous coupler & rear output shaft. I can line them up where I think they’re straight but tapping the coupler side only off-sets the front output side. I’m thinking of using an extra long bolt on each side & tighten them down evenly & hoping they’ll snap into place when mating. Has anyone had this problem?
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Rear Case installation problem
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
I may have figured out what is going on. The chain would not run true if it were running. The distance between the rear of the chain & the front case on the front shaft side is 3/8" while on the opposite end the rear shaft distance is 1-1/4" to the front case. Also the distance from the front case to the front of the coupler is 7-1/4" while the inside depth of the rear case is only 6-1/2". The only slack I can feel inside is the width of my middle finger between the front shaft bearing assembly to the front case.  I did lower the transfer case & while doing so did the rear shaft assembly move toward the rear of the car? Anyone have any luck pushing it back into place?
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk