News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Subframe Replacement  (Read 15720 times)

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Front Subframe Replacement
« on: August 11, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »
I've been looking for an SX/4 for a long time, and this past spring, I finally found one that was a suitable start for my project.  I had to go all the way down to Columbus, Ohio, to get it, but I found a 1981 with a four speed and AC.  At some point in its life, someone had bolted on a Mustang hood scoop and applied a Shelby-esque paint job, so it was perfect for my rally car plan.  I currently race a 1989 Mustang in the Detroit Region SCCA RallyCross series, but I've been looking for something my daughter could race.

So far, I've removed the factory AMC 15 rear axle and sourced a Ford 8.8 with 3.73's, disc brakes, and 31-spline axles.  I found a used NP129 transfer case and a T5 transmission from a 1982 Eagle that are being rebuilt, and I got a 1998 4.0L from Grand Cherokee that I will have built into a 4.7L stroker using the original 4.2 crank.

The biggest issue I have with the car is rust.  I sourced a set of reproduction rocker panels to replace the disappearing original set, but the front subframes are also equipped with a lot of holes.  I found a clean set in Idaho, and I'm having them sent back here to Michigan, but I'm wondering how much work it will be to remove the originals and weld the new ones back in.  I've seen some posts about people doing some pretty extensive repair work to their rotted front subframes, but I haven't seen anyone completely replace them.  I'm afraid the ones on my car are too far gone to repair, because I don't think there's enough good metal left to weld patch panels to.  If anyone else has replaced a set, please let me know if I should attempt it.  Thanks.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Front Subframe Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
hi, and welcome to the den! I just had the drivers side front subframe repaired on my 84 Sedan. It IS a lot of work, but doable if you are a good welder. AMC sub frames rust from the Inside out, so check carefully. The issue here is that the "frame" really  isn't a traditional frame rail, but about 3 sets of sheet metal body panels wrapped around each other. good luck, gz

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »
I bought a Kammback this Summer on Craigslist, the drivers floor board has rusted through, I'm afraid to look underneath!  I was going to part it out, but it's nice and original, and has a title.  Going to have it delivered this weekend, and I'll see how bad or good things look!

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »
I made a little more progress taking the car apart.  One of the bolts that holds the engine cradle to the front subframe started to turn, but then the weld nut in the frame broke loose.  I had to cut a hole in the one part of the frame that was still solid to get a wrench on the weld nut.

Once that was done, I was able to remove the entire front suspension, so now I have much better access to the subframe.  As soon as I figure out how to remove the speedometer cable, I'll drop the transmission and the transfer case, and then I can get the whole car up in the air a little more so it's at a better working height.

I had a local shop quote rebuilding the front axle and upgrading to 3.73 gears, but they wanted $1,600 to do it.  I was able to get the gears, a new carrier, a Timken bearing and seal kit, shims, marking dye, and all of the axle bearings for $340, so I'm going to take a shot at rebuilding it myself.

The 4.7 stroker is well underway, although the cylinder head from the junkyard 4.0 engine had two big cracks through the valve areas of the middle two cylinders, so I had to bring that back and remove another one.  While I was there, I exchanged the 1998 intake manifold for a 2000 manifold, because the shop said they flow a lot better.

The 1982 T5 and NP129 transfer case I bought used will be rebuilt and ready to pick up in a few days.  The transfer case just needed new seals, but the reverse gear and shaft were damaged in the transmission, so I had to have them replaced.  I'm assuming that I'll be able to use any late 1990's vintage Jeep clutch with this setup, but if anyone has a recommendation for a good one, I would appreciate it.  The further I get into this project, the bigger it seems to become, but I'd like to have it ready to race by the spring (although we run right through the winter, and it would be a lot of fun in the snow), so I have to keep at it.  If there were more SX/4's around, I might consider holding out for one that needs less rust repair, but I think I'm committed now!

1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
Here are some pictures.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »
And a couple more.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
hi, I wish you well, but, that being said, IMO, that car is toast! Eagles, (or any other AMCs) never had a "frame" in the traditional sense. AMCs are ALL sheetmetal. That front "frame" rail that you are looking at is actually three layers of sheetmetal wrapped around each other. Stamped/ formed/welded together. Repairs CAN be done, but they are fiendishly difficult and expensive, unless you yourself are an ACE fabricator/welder. I just had my left side front frame rail repaired, from a small less than 2" hole, turned out the whole thing was bad. These things rust from the inside out, so sometimes you can't tell till its too late'. took two months and about  $800.  That said , go for it. good luck, gz ps, the guy who did this repair,IS an ACE fabricator, lifetime MOPAR man, and he said this was the most difficult repair he has ever done, and not sure he ever wants to try it again:)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
Based on some of the other modifications you are doing on the car, it sounds like you guys will be running in a modified class. What do they allow as far as frame and suspension mods in that class? You might come out ahead if you lop it all off and start from scratch, if allowable.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:38:23 AM »
This will definitely be the biggest project I've tackled, but there are very few things in this world that can't be fixed if you take the time.  We will be running in the modified class, where there are almost no restrictions on what you can do with the frame and suspension.  The Mustang that I currently race has a full Griggs Racing suspension system, including a Panhard bar and torque arm in the rear and a tubular engine cradle, tubular A-arms that relocate the front wheels 1.5" forward, and adjustable coil overs all the way around.  I've only been doing Rallycross for a little over a year, and the modified class puts me up against some full stage rally cars, but it's what I had to start with.  Hopefully my driving skills will catch up.

Looking at the stock drivetrain in the Eagle, I just didn't think it would hold up, so that's why I chose the Ford 8.8 rear axle, which should easily hold up to the 4.7.  The Mustang would be a handful for my daughter to race, but I think the Eagle will be something that she will be more comfortable in.  With the 4WD, I just had to add a little more power and durability to make it competitive and to make sure it's fast enough for her to have fun with.

The engine, transfer case, and transmission will be ready shortly, so I really have to get to work on the rust repairs.  I just go the new carrier and the 3.73 gears for the front axle, so when the bearing and seal kit arrives, I'll be able to rebuild that too.  I'll keep you posted as I go.  I did see an SX/4 shell for sale down in Florida that already had a full cage in it, and I may have to reconsider something like that as an option, but it depends on what the replacement front subframe rails look like when they get here.  If they're solid enough, I think I can make this car work.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
Have you had the opportunity to see Leon Drake's VW pickup? I chatted with him for a little bit at a cars and coffee event and apparently his VW is at the very edge of the rules.

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 09:31:34 PM »
I found some pictures of his truck online and it looks like he has a lot of work into it, and it sounds like he's been doing well.  I'm not a supporter of the front wheel drive approach, but I race with plenty of people who've found ways to make them go fast.  I bought my daughter a VR6 Jetta with a 5-speed for her first car so she would learn to drive a stick, but after having to remove the engine twice, I decided that I would never own another FWD car.  Steering with the throttle is one of the great joys of racing and of growing up on a gravel road, and it just doesn't work with a front wheel drive car.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
I removed the hatch carpet and to my surprise, found a lot of solid metal in the center, with only a couple of rusty spots in the corners.  Unfortunately, those spots are over the spring mounts, so they will have to be fixed.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »
I also found what appeared to be some middle school woodworking projects taking up some of the spaces in the hatch.  The interesting thing is that the carpet fits over them, almost as though they came with the car from the factory, although I've never seen anything like that in a production car.

1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »
The engine shop is bolting the cylinder head onto the 4.7 tomorrow, so the long block will be ready soon.  I also got the 3.73 gears, the new carrier, and the bearing and seal kit for the Dana 30 front axle, so I can tear into that if it rains this weekend.  It's the smallest differential I've ever worked on, but it seems like it should hold up.  I picked up the rebuilt T-5 and the NP129 transfer case, so those are now sitting in the barn ready to go as well.  All of which adds even more urgency to the rust repairs.  My brother's welder is now sitting next to the car, so I'm running out of excuses not to get started, other than swapping out the hatch on the Mustang before the race next weekend at Thistle Hill.  I can never seem to finish one project before starting another!

1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 11:26:06 PM »
Supposedly to go lower than a 3.54, you might have to do some special stuff. I think the Eagles front carrier is actually the same as the 3.73 and up carrier found in Jeeps. But, I personally don't have any experience, just going by what I've heard over the years with others trying it.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
hi, believe it or not, those wood pieces are FACTORY! Also, if you check the rear panel of the rear seat, you will find a piece of honest to god plywood. Talk about old school, eh! good luck, gz

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 09:35:42 PM »
That's really funny about the plywood, but I guess it was a different time!

I brought the 4.7 stroker home last night, so now I have another reason to hurry.  I removed the original 4-speed transmission and the transfer case tonight, so the entire drivetrain is now out of the car.  You can see how much oil from all of the engine leaks was covering the transmission.  I was amazed that the four nuts that held the crossmember to the frame all came loose without any trouble, but that may have been a positive result of the oil bath.  The next step is to raise the car up higher so it's easier to get to the rusty parts underneath it.  In addition to his welder, I'm also borrowing my brother's set of extra large Harbor Freight jack stands for that reason, so I might be able to start cutting tomorrow. 

As far as the front gears go, from what I have read, gears up to a 3.54 ratio use one carrier and anything 3.73 and up use a different carrier, so I hope I have the one that I need.  I hope to find out this week when I get a little further into it.  So far I've rationalized the purchase of a slide hammer and an axle bearing remover set just to tackle that front axle, so this project is definitely going to expand my tool collection.

There's still a tremendous amount to do, but I feel like I'm making some progress.

1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »
hi, looks good! remember, you may have to put the 258 oil pan on the stroked 4.0, also cut out the lower block rib so you can mount the motor to the axle on pass side. also may have to fab some mounts. good luck, gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
Yup eagle pan and oilpickup tube. The eagle pan is eagle specific.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »
I reused the original oil pan and oil pickup tube from the 4.2, so I should be good there, but I'll have to take a look at that block rib.  I appreciate the tip, especially while the engine is still on the stand.  Maybe I'll mock up the axle mounts while the differential is out of the axle housing.  I may be able to hang it off the block right on the stand.  I haven't heard anything more on the subframe rails, so I'm assuming that the ones they cut out of the car weren't in good shape.  That would be a setback, but I'm sure there's a usable set out there somewhere.  In the meantime, I'm going to get to work on the rocker panels and the floorpans.

Please keep the advice coming.  Every little bit helps.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
You really only have the rib where the lazy s bracket bolts to the motor, to dry fit. So drivers side s bracket.

Manitowoc WI

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »
hi, new rocker panel are available through Summit. Part #SHI-003-00R,  and # SHI-003-00L. About $40. each. I just bought a set a few months ago. good luck, gz

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 06:45:47 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I recently bought a set through Show Car Parts in Canada.  I wonder if they're the same ones?  What I really need are inner rocker panels, but I haven't found anyone who sells those.  I just got the car up in the air and cut out the rusty parts of the passenger side floor, and I'm starting to feel a lot better about this.  That's probably not reasonable, because I've never done anything like this before, other than putting a purchased replacement floor pan right over the rusty floor in a Wrangler with sheet metal screws for a friend a few years ago.  I haven't welded anything on my own since I was in college, and that was quite a long time ago.  However, on the bright side, I'm going to get a lot of practice with this project, and I bet I can already weld as well as most other attorneys (I know, that's not much of a yardstick).  There's a surprising amount of solid sheet metal around the rusty parts of the floor, and the bracket that joins the two pieces of the subframe together appears to be in good shape, so I'll have something to attach the front pieces to if I ever get them.  The tricky part will be cutting out those inner rocker panels, but now that I have some momentum, I think I'll get to work on drilling out all of the spot welds and then see what's left.

Thanks again.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »
afaik, inner rockers are not available anywhere and have to be fabbed, on a positive note they are really just a straight piece of metal. good luck, gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 09:23:12 PM »
If your going this far, just a thought.,you could run 1"square tube from the center so called frame andbolt it to the back frame. Than you would have subframe connectors.  They however run into the rear pass footwell and back out. It will stiffen the car, but sacrifice rear pass foot room. I did this to a wagon once. I ASSume the same could be done to your sx4. If your doing floor pans might be a consideration. It sorta takes unibody out and frames it, if done right.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 09:49:42 PM »
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, and it would probably reduce the chances of the door openings getting out of whack when I cut the rockers out.  I'm going to take a look at that.

Thanks!
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
I just ran out there to take a look at it, and I see what you mean about how it would intrude into the rear footwell.  However, the skid plate hangs down about another four inches, so I bet I could fit some 1-1/2"x2" tubing below the two subframes to connect them and not have to mess with the footwell.  That's what I did with my Mustang and it made a huge difference.  I'm going to start coming up with some options tomorrow.  I also have to order a rollcage before I get too much farther along so I can accommodate the mounting pads.  So much to do!
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 07:53:41 AM »
hi, just as an option, Freakride makes subframe connectors for AMCs. They don't list one for Eagles specifically, but do for Spirits, which is more or less the same car. I just had a set of their Hornet connectors installed into my 84 Eagle Sedan, and they fit with very minor fabbing. Good, solid pieces. check 'em out. good luck, gz

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 11:18:41 PM »
I took a look at those subframe connectors and I'm definitely considering them..

Something I noticed tonight is that the hatch doesn't have any provisions for opening it with a key, and since the engine is out, I can't easily reconnect the battery in order to use the release button in the glove box.  I guess I should have opened the hatch first before tearing the car apart.  I need to remove the plastic interior trim panels before I do any welding in back of the car, and I need to get the hatch open for access before I can do that.  Is there some trick to opening it without the release button?
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 11:24:48 PM »
I should have spent another five minutes searching before I posted.  It sounds like there's place inside where you can release the hatch with a screwdriver, so I'll look for that tomorrow.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 12:41:23 AM »
hi, going back a bit, if you do not want those wood pieces, Don't throw 'em OUT!! they may be worth a couple of bucks to a guy doing a restoration. Hey, they really Don't make  'em like they used to!, good luck, gz

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
I won't throw them away.  I plan to hold onto as many of the stock pieces as I can in case my daughter ever wants to turn it back into a street car.

I've been traveling more than usual for work, so I haven't had much time to spend on the Eagle, and yesterday, while I was racing my Mustang, I broke the torque arm and the rear shocks, so I have a little repair work to do before the November race in Ohio.  However, I need to make up some time on the Eagle, and since I have not been able to find a set of front subframe rails in any better shape than mine, I'm going to start cutting all of the rusty parts off of them to see if there's any chance that I could repair them.  I'll post some pictures once I find out if there's anything left in them that can be saved.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »
I picked up a 1984 SVO Mustang turbo that jumped in front of the Eagle on my project list, but I recently found a potential donor car for the front subframes.  Does anybody know if the subframes from a 1985 Eagle four-door sedan would interchange with the ones on my 1981 SX/4?  From the pictures I've seen, they look like they're the same, but I'd like to know for sure because the car is a few states away.  If anyone could let me know one way or the other, I would appreciate it.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 09:07:56 AM »
I THINK I've read all Eagles are the same from forward of the windshield, but I'm not sure.
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »
I THINK I've read all Eagles are the same from forward of the windshield, but I'm not sure.
I've heard the same. I owned an 84 SVO for 22.5 years.

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »
That's in much better shape than mine, which is why I don't feel too bad modifying mine for dirt track use.  I'm swapping in an 8.8 rearend with 31-spline axles and 3.73's, and I have all of the newer turbo gear from a 1988 Turbo Coupe.  I'm also going to run a Panhard bar and a torque arm for the rear suspension.

Are those 2000 Cobra R wheels you had on it?  I have a set of those for my 5.0, but I thought they had the wrong backspacing for the SVO.  In that picture, it looks like they fit great.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »
No, those are 17x9 Konig Villians that I got from Maximum Motorsports. It also had an 8.8 with 3.73s, V8 T5 and  99 Cobra front spindles and control arms and Cobra brakes all around. I did some trading and I lost out on the deal and the guy I traded it to, put a larger turbo on it, put a hole in the block and then parted it out. I had it for over 22 years and he had it for 4 months.

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:02 PM »
That's really too bad, but at least you got to enjoy the car a lot longer than the other guy!
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
I had it for over 22 years and he had it for 4 months.

:(
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
Interested on how this 'frame' swap turns out. I've got a similar situation & was gonna sell it for parts.
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
Someone in Detroit has a 1982 SX/4 for sale right now for around $2K and he says the floor has been repaired and the subframes are already tied, but I'm not at the point yet where I want to abandon the car I have.  I feel like I'm obligated to turn this one into a race car because it's in such bad shape that no one would ever try to restore it back to its original condition, but it seems to still have a strong will to live.

That being said however, there are days when it seems like I should have started with one that was less rusty!
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »
My daughter and I made it to Minnesota last night and we purchased the donor Eagle, a 1985 sedan that experienced a small fire.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
looks good underneath should have just what you need to repair your eagle

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2017, 09:18:07 PM »
We made it back from Montana, and I started disassembling the donor car before I even got it off the trailer.  In spite of its appearance from the fire, the underside of the car is surprisingly solid.  I'm excited to remove the parts I need, but I'm going to have to remove the scorched engine (another reason that plastic valve covers aren't a good idea) and the front suspension before I can get to the subframe.  Unfortunately, I have a Dakota with leaking freeze plugs in the garage that's in line ahead of the Eagle project, but I just got the transmission out today, so if I can find some new (brass) freeze plugs tomorrow, I'll be able to put it back together and get it out of here. 

I've already been able to salvage the door hinge mounting plates and bolts from the 1985 Eagle to replace the ones that broke on the SX/4, and I bet I'll be able to reuse a bunch of parts like that before I'm done.  I haven't ordered the roll cage yet, but I think I should before I get too much farther into the fabrication so I can make sure the mounting plates will be in the proper places.  I'm also wondering if it would make sense for me to cut the inner rocker panels out of the 1985 and shorten them for the SX/4.  I'll have to see if that will be less work than having new ones made for the SX/4.  I still have to swap the rear axle on the SVO Mustang, but I feel like the Eagle project is picking up a little speed again.  I'll post more pictures as I get further into it.  I also need to decide if it would be worth the trouble to swap the inner fenders from the 1985 to the SX/4 as well, but I think it will probably be easier to just patch up the thin spots.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
I got the donor car off the trailer and into the barn today so the two Eagles can spend a little time together before they join forces to make one solid car.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:11:36 PM by RallyX-SX/4 »
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Very cool!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline RallyX-SX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
I found some time to work on the frame donor Eagle, and the first thing I had to do was get the engine out of the car (the fire provided one more reason why plastic valve covers are a bad idea).  The front subframes could hardly be in better shape, so I'm looking forward to liberating them from the car once I remove the rest of the front suspension and the axle.  And the next time I need to buy a new battery, I'll have a very interesting core.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk