News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 06:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle continues to die. Running out of ideas!  (Read 11302 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Eagle continues to die. Running out of ideas!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:13 PM »
The hard to start part sounds like the starter is loose or it's drive clutch is worn out so it slips. (hopefully not a worn out flexplate)

Can you do a cellphone quick vid of it?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
Here is a video I took yesterday before I replaced the spark plug wires and made adjustments to the carb. This video is the only time I have heard it sound THIS bad. Usually, it just makes the whirring sound not the additional kind of "grinding" sound. After I made the adjustments and put the wires on it started right up. I also cleaned some bad connections on the solenoid which may have helped some. I also tested the solenoid and it seemed to be getting juice through it and no changes in ohms from the S terminal test to the ground test, Only later once it was warmed up did it have a hard time starting again. Again, this video is the most severe I have ever heard it..compared to times before and after this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=9K5fc-emE5U

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »
Yeah; that's just the starter drive kicking out.    Time for another starter if its under warranty; or just replace the drive.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »
Check the starter bolts aren't loose. When you get a replacement drive or starter, make sure it's as long in the tooth as a quarter.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »
If you stand over the car with a small can a fuel or seafoam etc. and steadily dump will it stay running? if so the issue could be specifically the carb. Ive heard of the new & replacement carters being a hit or miss with reliability. After replacing my carter with a reman it took two other rebuilds to get it to actually cooperate with the car.

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
The EAGLE is flying like it just got golden wings!!  I replaced the starter and found that some of the teeth on the starter's pinion had been worn down pretty bad. The tune up, carb rebuild, carb modification (drilling tubes) and ignition module all helped immensely. It starts up and runs great now! Now I need to get a new paint job and really want to get a lift!! I want to thank all of you for your extremely helpful advice I wish I could buy you all a beer! Thanks a ton! I look forward to reading more of these forums especially on lifts ( I am thinking just a minor lift without SAS) Anyways, wish you all the best! Thanks! :hello2: :occasion14: :blob1: :rotfl:

:eaglebig:

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
Congrats on getting it running so well!  Way to be persistent!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »
Double-congrats!!   I'll have a beer tonight and send you a bill!!    :occasion14:
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 10:40:12 PM »
Glad to hear!  Good on ya for sticking it out!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk