News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:47:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exhaust leak "noise" - said to be EGR tube?  (Read 5278 times)

Offline SiouxEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Exhaust leak "noise" - said to be EGR tube?
« on: January 04, 2015, 04:05:20 PM »
A fellow Eagle owner I ran into said the noise I described was due to a port on the exhaust manifold. Well today when I started the car sure enough I saw the steam seeping from there as it's -3F today.. Anyway what is the likely hood of this being cracked vs. just loose? It's not easy to get to and wondering if I cap it off I suppose I need to cap off both ends AND remove the EGR??
Anyone with prior experience here please let me know. I removed the pulse air system years ago so not sure I need the EGR.

It's a 83 Eagle all stock.

Thank you!!
Ches in Sioux Falls, SD.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Exhaust leak "noise" - said to be EGR tube?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »
Was it steam or exhaust?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline SiouxEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »
It was exhaust but for the first time I saw it - you know - pulsating just like out from the tail pipe..

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »
You can remove the air filter housing and then you will see a lot more.
There is a good chance that the manifold bolts are loose (or some broken).
The EGR can be removed but needs to be capped off with a purpose made plate.
There is an EGR tube between in- and outlet manifold, this can be cracked or rusted through.
This can be removed too and the holes need to be plugged.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
Welcome, my emissions system hasn't been fully hooked up for awhile now, but the way Sioux falls has been growing, I'm woried that the east side of SD will eventually have smog checks. There is a 85 eagle wagon in nordstroms ewepullet lot, but I think someone already got ahold of the manifolds on it.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
I forgot to plug the hose that comes up from the pulse air manifold after I cut the hose off.  Once that was plugged all was good.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline SiouxEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »
I did have a new gasket and the manifold re-done some time ago but the noise didnt go away. Thanks to the chap in Omaha for pointing out it may be that tube and looks like it is. I just wanted to make sure if I removed it and capped it off at both ends it wouldn't cause any issues. I suppose if the EGR valve its self is working I could just leave it put as the gas would have no where to go anyway.

I was on the old forum years ago as HawkenEagle but I couldn't get logged back in here as that so I started a new name which I like better. We use our Eagle every day since 2007. Thanks to Amsoil it starts wasily out in the cold - just have to get the fuel pumped into the carb,. Im getting ready to switch to the ported FI kit!
I know John Flanagan out there at nordstroms. He already gave me a look at the Eagle as I need a defrost switch and a passenger door handle but I found a better aftermarket defrost switch which I'll post in a new thread but still looking for the handle..

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
You can leave the EGR where it is. It may be a bit tricky to get the tube out with  the manifold in situ.
Here's a picture:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/egr-supply-tube-15409/

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

Offline SiouxEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 05:31:51 PM »
Thanks Jurjen!! The photo helped. I may try to just seal the leak and leave it in place then.
BTW, as you like Triumph bikes - I have a 98 Thunderbird Sport! Best bike ever. I love the triples!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
Weld the hole on the exhaust pipe shut. As long as the EGR is disconnected, the other end doesn't matter. When I rigged up a Renix exhaust manifold on my '84 wagon years ago, I used the Eagle egr top part of the pipe and connected it to the Renix pipe with a compression tube connector and minor bending because it still had to go through emissions.

Speaking of Triumphs, I had a Bonneville turbo for about a week. Got it from my uncle who rebuilt it in our basement but he didn't have the timing right. He went to kick start and it threw him upwards so he broke his shoulder on the floor joist above, came back down, kicked again and broke his foot!
   I got it right and was breaking it in when I was run off the road by some yahoos (intentionally). Bike hit a tree and caught fire. I was lucky enough to hit a mud filled ditch at about 60 mph. Never did find them again and I guess it's a good thing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:15:27 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
Bikes can be fun! Seriously. The Speed Triple is living with my son now, so I replaced it with a 1999 XJR 1300 Yamaha (not available in the US).
Here it is parked on the Yellow Brick Driveway Garage.

Edit: updated my profile, flying the Dutch flag again, I guess we should go back on topic now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:57:20 PM by Jurjen »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk