News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 10:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?  (Read 17044 times)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
From what

Manitowoc WI

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:22 AM »
Its an 81 tranny i believe but do not quote me on that theres an 85 there too., but the TC comes with it i believe. So that still will bolt right up? If its the tranny and the TC if its a non lockup or a lock up right? if i get a newer one.the TC is on the tranny or on the motor? I'm such a  :newbie:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:38:28 AM by 84eaglelmz »

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
So long as the the transmission is 4wd and for an AMC six or eight you're good to bolt in. Two-wheel-drive transmissions have a different output shaft and the whole thing needs disassembled.

80-81 automatics were "Narrow Ratio" and from 82 on up they were "Wide Ratio"
80-84 automatics were lockup and 85 on up were non-lockup.
Some combinations got a factory "High Stall" converter, there's (supposed to be) a label on the the converter to tell you.

Gear Ratios:
GearNarrowWide
12.45:12.74:1
21.45:11.54:1
31:11:1

80 cars would have a 119 transfer case without the 2wd-4wd switch.
81 can be like an 80 or an 82.
82-83 cars have a stop-shift 129 transfer case and an axle disconnect.
84 and up cars have shift-on-the-fly.

All transfer cases can exchange rather easily. If you don't have the switch you'll have to lock the 129 case in 4wd mode when you install it. If you have an axle disconnect, you will have to add a vacuum line to hold it locked or perform one of the axle lock modifications if you put a 119 in it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »
Grand Wagoneer 727 or rare-ish 999 is a nice upgrade.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
So long as the the transmission is 4wd and for an AMC six or eight you're good to bolt in. Two-wheel-drive transmissions have a different output shaft and the whole thing needs disassembled.

80-81 automatics were "Narrow Ratio" and from 82 on up they were "Wide Ratio"
80-84 automatics were lockup and 85 on up were non-lockup.
Some combinations got a factory "High Stall" converter, there's (supposed to be) a label on the the converter to tell you.

Gear Ratios:
GearNarrowWide
12.45:12.74:1
21.45:11.54:1
31:11:1

80 cars would have a 119 transfer case without the 2wd-4wd switch.
81 can be like an 80 or an 82.
82-83 cars have a stop-shift 129 transfer case and an axle disconnect.
84 and up cars have shift-on-the-fly.

All transfer cases can exchange rather easily. If you don't have the switch you'll have to lock the 129 case in 4wd mode when you install it. If you have an axle disconnect, you will have to add a vacuum line to hold it locked or perform one of the axle lock modifications if you put a 119 in it.

Im going to keep my transfer case. By TC i meant torque converter. I have an 84 eagle. If i get a used tranny, most likely the Torque converter is going to be on it correct?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
Im going to keep my transfer case. By TC i meant torque converter. I have an 84 eagle.
I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd cover everything. The torque converter is part of the transmission assembly. Lockup and non-lockup ones don't interchange.

If i get a used tranny, most likely the Torque converter is going to be on it correct?

It should be, and I'd insist on it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Make sure you get the converter with the trans. Even though it comes off, the old converter from another trans is NOT good to put in! The crud from the dead trans is inside it, and at least 1/2 the 9XX trans I've had over the past almost 40 years (yes, I'm THAT old. 53 this year and owned cars/trucks since I was 12) were caused by the converter going south (especially cracking the neck)
   The BEST "upgrade" (I'd call it reliability improvement myself) you can do is get one with a billet neck converter that's been brazed in. Least likely to break.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »
Im going to get a whole used set from another eagle, the converter/trans/and transfer case. Then I'm going to keep mine and have everything redone completely by a shop when I get the money. Im poor at the moment haha. If i can get a used everything for 200 and have it last me a year ill be happy, then ill save up the grand or so and have me a completely rebuilt tranny/transfercase.

When taking out the tranny where am i sposta put the jack to hold it up? on the pan? Will that hurt it or do i put it somewhere else.  And with the used tranny since its probably been sitting since the birth of christ is there any seals that should be changed without spending a lot. Since its just a get by tranny until i get money to rebuild. I really don't want my eagle sitting so long with out me behind the wheel. And pretending just doesn't cut it, I've tried.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:07:04 AM by 84eaglelmz »

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »
I hate to ask this but where is the best transmission removal how to on this website. Ive been searching for a half hour. I found it once now I can't find it. The one in eaglepedia is vague. I mostly need to know how to remove the linkage for everything. plus everything else haha. Im getting there though, slowly.   :occasion14:

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
New plan, just getting the rebuild done. Not messing with used trannys! i want this car to be pristine!!!!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
New plan, just getting the rebuild done. Not messing with used trannys! i want this car to be pristine!!!!
I spent $1400 on a rebuild, $200 on a pump rebuild because of my mechanic, another $200 on parts and oil and now I face another $1400 because the guy used the wrong valve body. My transmission will immediately clunk into reverse, try to creep forward when in "Neutral" and there is no forward drive at all. I'm already broke and this is supposed to be a temporary transmission. I desperately need to get a clutch and new engine in this car later this month and it just isn't going to happen. The lesson? Rebuild it yourself. :/
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
Well when i bought my eagle low and behold NO TRANNY FLUID! haha thats probably my reason for some metal grinding. and yes i wouldn't pay for someone to do the tranny over that he screwed up. Im having a guy i know do it. He did a f150 for 400 bucks!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 02:49:49 AM »
Not sure why you alone are having so much trouble with them.
Long story but it's a combination of incompetent mechanics messing with me and my car and then my family getting into my business and dismissing me and any problems. I desperately need to leave this place for good. My family doesn't want me to have a car or a job and they run me broke. My grandfather is a helpless senile mechanic that has been retired for a few years. He has a lot of expensive tools and likes to butt into my business every morning because I have a car and he has the tools to work on everything. He's been an engine mechanic his entire life but knows nothing anymore. This situation gave me problems from the moment I bought the car and any time I have a problem with the car where he has to work on anything, I resent him for the next thing that blows up and then he resents my car because it's "the worst thing he's ever worked on." The worst was June of last year when I finally had the best job of my life leaving this crap town and making $700/wk machining furniture most mornings. I worked 6 days each week for 3 months and did no maintenance to the car on my only day off due to constant exhaustion. In which time, my family would mess with my car without me learning about it until the last week of my job and they continued to bother me about everything wrong with it and how I shouldn't have a job. The whole time I drove it would randomly die on the freeway in extremely dangerous situations where I'm trying to merge into traffic, oil would blow out of the crankcase all over the engine compartment and inside the air cleaner causing it to stall and this just went on and on. I began working on the car during my lunch breaks to mitigate these issues and figure out what was wrong. People at work would get in my face and start bothering me while trying to concentrate on what was going on, effectively nullifying any progress. It got worse when the court got involved in my life and started mucking up my payline so that I started losing as much as $80/day. I eventually figured out that I don't have to agree to their contracts so that harassment went away pretty quickly.

Some weird stuff happened during that time but the worst of it was waking up every Monday to some problem where I had to resort to driving any three of my grandfather's big 1972 Fords to work for the rest of the week while this trouble got fixed. Gas was $4.25/gal so the whole time I was just :censored:. These all have big 390 engines and just aren't made for driving every day let alone 64 miles out of town every day. A dead battery was the first issue after my alternator blew up. Since this town is such a constant availability issue, I had to wait a week just to get it. When that was fixed the next week I had a problem shifting on my way home from work. I barely got the car home and my grandfather jumped on that pretty fast. I told him what was going on and he started arguing with me about how I don't maintain the car. He didn't even know what the problem was and he started to fill the transmission with fluid as I tried very hard desperately pulling the transmission into neutral and started it up. I still couldn't shift into reverse and he continued pouring fluid into the transmission hoping it would shift. He eventually snapped the dipstick while checking the fluid level and that was pretty much the defining point where everything went out of control afterwards. I took the shifter apart trying to diagnose the problem and found that the safety linkage broke. I removed it and could shift again. No more problem with that.

From then on, the transmission started to overheat after driving for 10 minutes. So much that the bottom of the shifter would burn my hand. I knew that wasn't right and that the transmission needed rebuilding or it would blow up. About early September I needed to make a trip to Portland to get something to replace in the car and that's when the transmission started slipping to the point where it stranded me in Vancouver. Everyone but police were willing to step in and help me, so that was a disaster. I eventually got it to a gas station and had to run around everywhere in the middle of the night looking for transmission fluid only to find it was spilling out faster than I could pour it. After the weekend was over I finally managed to get a wrecker to tow it home for about $300. At that point the harassment from my family and verbal abuse became awful and would only end after screaming down their throats to either help or leave me alone. That didn't accomplish much though. After I finally pulled the transmission, we discovered that the valve body tube had exploded and the shavings were in the pan and transmission cooler. So I got that rebuilt at a friend's garage while my grandfather got it in his head to flush the transmission cooler. Only he didn't.

So I got it rebuilt, bolted up, transmission started jerking again but started to behave after about a week. Winter came and I started having alternator problems again. Transmission started leaking fluid to the point where I had to add some every morning before leaving for work. It finally blew up after 6 months while I had another amazing job. My family doesn't want me to leave, won't get a shop for me to do the rebuild and is just making this into a huge expensive mess. So, I had no choice but to take it to a real mechanic. It is now day 57 that I'm without a car, my friends are starting to worry about me a lot, I haven't been able to get a job during the production time of my work season and I'm already broke again trying to get this fixed without the city and my landlord complaining about the "nonfunctional AMC wagon."

I towed it to the transmission shop and now it's his problem. If he can't fix it, I'll just have to send it to the crusher. If it gets fixed, great. I can go get the transmission I intended to put into this car in the first place. Yeah, this transmission that I need rebuilt so bad is temporary.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
got my tranny out! 400 dollars later and it will be rebuilt!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
I had a few issues trying to get my 83's transmission rebuilt (reverse worked, forward gears, just spun). Most places I called soon as I mentioned AMC they'd be doubling their prices. Finally called a local Jeep restoration place and they told me who did transmission for them. Called them up, they sent a tow truck (no cost if they did the work) and they said no issues. Was about what I assumed it would cost ($1200) but got a total rebuilt and cars working like a champ now :)
83 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk