News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 01:39:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?  (Read 16981 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
So after my two posts I think its safe to say the eagle needs a New transmission,

Any ideas on a rough cost of a rebuild? Or anyone who did it before, how much it cost? I can't do it my self.

Or is there anyplace i can find a remanufactured one? The ones online all say they are 904s and RWD? what gives?

3 Speed Automatic Transmission, RWD
Fits: AMC Eagle
Tag ID:   A904
Notes:   Our transmission comes with a remanufactured torque converter!
Part Number:   A904

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
If you can pop your tranny its cheaper by far to have it rebuilt.

Manitowoc WI

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
I agree with MudKicker as long as there is no major damage to any "hard parts" internally. A soft parts rebuild can be done for about a grand if they pull the tranny and re-install. You can probably save a couple hundred pulling it and re-installing yourself, but you need to have some help or the proper tools.

Good luck! I had my t-case serviced a year ago and they rebuilt the viscous coupler. With fluid changes in the axles and a little vacuum work, it cost me $1500. A decent price for all the work they did!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
Soft parts rebuild should only set you back 2 days and $150. That's what it takes to rebuild the A904. Personally, I would be looking into other reasons for the failure such as hard parts failures, a damaged torque converter or a blocked cooling system. With all the problems I'm having with my A904, I'm convinced it's junk and to just move on.

Last month I sent my transmission off for a rebuild. Several questions about where it came from, what it is and what it's going into...

The predetermined price was roughly $800 for a complete overhaul and was supposed to take about a week. It's now one month later, my car is still on jackstands and suddenly there's parts that need replacing. I'm getting sick of this.

If you want a transmission rebuilt, do it yourself. It saves you a LOT of time and pain of dealing with mediocre mechanics that don't know what they're doing. YOU are the most reliable source of information and change for your vehicle. It's awful but true.

One more thing: If you have frequent problems with this transmission as I do, it's time to move on to a stronger transmission like the TF727 or do the manual swap. The original plan for me was to go to a manual but after 4 years I haven't been able to find one and the A904 keeps breaking before I can pull any transmissions from the scrapyards. :/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:29:58 PM by DaemonForce »
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
Casper,
Yes I did. I put there into in the vendor section. The owner has a buddy with an Eagle that sits out back of the shop. I drive by it everyday and when I get my finances in order, I'll make an offer on it!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
I paid $650 to have my transmission rebuilt. That included having it rebuilt to TF999 specs, a new torque converter and a Transgo shift kit. I pulled it and installed it. That was a year and a half ago and it still works great. I would try to find some Jeep guys and see who they recommend for a rebuild.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
Around here, Sea-Tac trans is the go-to guys for a build. I just posted my 998 on CL for $50. It still ran and drove, but the oil came out so fast (bad converter neck) that it could've been re-dubbed Exxon Valdez II.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
So what about all the websites claiming to have an a904 for 800 already rebuilt?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
If they say it fits an '87 Jeep YJ, then it will work.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
So what about all the websites claiming to have an a904 for 800 already rebuilt?
I personally don't trust the assembly line rebuilders and would rather have a local reputable rebuilder to the job. What do you do if you have a problem with the transmission? Take it out, ship it at your expense and then wait to see if they will warranty it?

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »
Thats a really good point. I guess its time to start saving for a rebuild.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
dos anyone have directions on how to remove the transmission in simple easy to read steps? I'm thinking if it saves me money ill take it out my self.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
There are several how-tos and journals of transmission removal here on the nest, just browse through this topic a few pages. I've done it a few times.

The hardest parts are getting the top few bolts loose and wiggling it out past the exhaust. You may end up replacing the mount and a couple of u-joints while you're in there, I've had worn ones fall apart.

It's helpful to drain the fluid first... or have a change of clothes on hand for when you forget.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
There are several how-tos and journals of transmission removal here on the nest, just browse through this topic a few pages. I've done it a few times.

The hardest parts are getting the top few bolts loose and wiggling it out past the exhaust. You may end up replacing the mount and a couple of u-joints while you're in there, I've had worn ones fall apart.

It's helpful to drain the fluid first... or have a change of clothes on hand for when you forget.

Yeah, the extra pair of clothes option has became a norm  while in my garage.  ;D
ok i found some how-tos after quite a while of looking.

I called some local mechanics and they all asked me if its even possible to get replacement parts for this tranny. I really doubt anyone around where i live has seen this in the last 20 years. Is it easy to find rebuild parts for these trannys? I really wish I lived in a higher education location.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
Ask them if parts for a Dodge 904 HD are available. Same trans internally

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
Thanks!!! I will and ill keep this post updated and how i make out. I don't know what i would do without this website. After my cars running I'm gonna be sure and donate!!!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
This maybe a very dumb question, but since i was not planning on taking out the tranny, is there a way i can lift the back end of this car up without having it roll off the stands and kill me?  :banghead:

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
Wow that looks so....Plain. o.O

I use jackstands at the moment. Right under the axle.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

rohnk

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
I'm in the same situation right now. I've been thinking about just placing the front on jack stands and then lifting the rear and putting it on jack stands. All four corners up so I can remove the wheels and work on the brakes and suspension.

It also wouldn't hurt to place a 6x6 or larger parrellel to the frame rails in case it decides to go. Then I'd only be partially squished!  ;)

Whatever you decide, please work safely and don't get the car rocking when you are trying to loosen a stubborn bolt.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »
You could have some one sit inside and hold the brake while you jack up the rear. However, there is always the smallest chance of it rolling off of the ramps when the rear is on stands.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »
Wow that looks so....Plain. o.O

I use jackstands at the moment. Right under the axle.

What is plain????

Ill try to get that car up in the back. if i do not reply you'll know the eagle has landed.... right on me that is

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
What is plain????
I'm just not used to seeing an Eagle without woodgrain or a bunch of side chrome. It looks naked.
Ill try to get that car up in the back. if i do not reply you'll know the eagle has landed.... right on me that is
I try to find a nice little spot under the axles as close to the wheels as possible so I know the car won't shake or tip. It sits quite high.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
What is plain????
I'm just not used to seeing an Eagle without woodgrain or a bunch of side chrome. It looks naked.
I try to find a nice little spot under the axles as close to the wheels as possible so I know the car won't shake or tip. It sits quite high.

I know it looks plain haha. and should i lift up one tire at a time or the whole back?

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »
i've done this about four times myself and i always used jackstands. i should add that the way i did it was a good way to get hurt as i removed and installed them by myself and though it is possible to do it by yourself you should have some one help you as those transmission and transfercases are heavy. as for lifting the rear do both at the same time just put a good rolling floor jack under the pumpkin and start jacking it up.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
Jack stands or good blocking under the frame. I've often used the frame extensions in front of the axle, even though they're higher then the rest of the subframe, so that I have lots of room to maneuver under the center of the car.

I've found cinder blocks and 4x6 blocks of wood are nice and sturdy for such things, and I trust it more then some of the spindly cheap jack stands I've seen in discount places.

You want to support the frame because as soon as the transmission drops out that's a couple of hundred pounds off the suspension. You'll also need a jack to help you lower the transmission. I've slid transmissions out from under cars on a piece of plywood after dropping them, they won't slide on the concrete too well.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »
There should be a hole at the front of the ramp right where the wheel stops. I added chains and a wheel chock to keep the tire from rolling.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »
Sorry, but I have to agree with Casper, NO cinder blocks. Also some import jack stands are inferior and have been known to fail.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
I agree with all said about cinder blocks and here is why! Several years ago I had my Javelin sitting on cinder blocks while I was installing a set of hooker headers.I crawled out from under it to get a wrench that I needed and no sooner got out from under the car and down it came. Looked up and thanked the man above several times.Then went in changed my shorts and went to the auto parts store and bought a set or heavy duty jack stands.To this day when I see a car on cinder blocks I get chills and remember that day.One I will never forget!! I lost a close friend who had a car drop on him using cinder blocks.So anyway forget using them and invest in a good heavy duty set of jack stands. May be the best money you ever spent!!! ps By the way loved my hooker headers.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »
The car ramps are so old that the part where the wheel sits in is kind of bent so I think it could roll easy backwards, forward it can't but backwards it can. Im gonna bolt a block of wood behind the wheels on the ramps so it will not be able to roll backwards, and go get a heavy duty set of jack stands for the rear, i don't trust my 10 dollar walmart ones for this.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »
I found a used tranny for 200 bucks, any year tranny works right?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
From what

Manitowoc WI

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:22 AM »
Its an 81 tranny i believe but do not quote me on that theres an 85 there too., but the TC comes with it i believe. So that still will bolt right up? If its the tranny and the TC if its a non lockup or a lock up right? if i get a newer one.the TC is on the tranny or on the motor? I'm such a  :newbie:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:38:28 AM by 84eaglelmz »

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
So long as the the transmission is 4wd and for an AMC six or eight you're good to bolt in. Two-wheel-drive transmissions have a different output shaft and the whole thing needs disassembled.

80-81 automatics were "Narrow Ratio" and from 82 on up they were "Wide Ratio"
80-84 automatics were lockup and 85 on up were non-lockup.
Some combinations got a factory "High Stall" converter, there's (supposed to be) a label on the the converter to tell you.

Gear Ratios:
GearNarrowWide
12.45:12.74:1
21.45:11.54:1
31:11:1

80 cars would have a 119 transfer case without the 2wd-4wd switch.
81 can be like an 80 or an 82.
82-83 cars have a stop-shift 129 transfer case and an axle disconnect.
84 and up cars have shift-on-the-fly.

All transfer cases can exchange rather easily. If you don't have the switch you'll have to lock the 129 case in 4wd mode when you install it. If you have an axle disconnect, you will have to add a vacuum line to hold it locked or perform one of the axle lock modifications if you put a 119 in it.
NSS#47184

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »
Grand Wagoneer 727 or rare-ish 999 is a nice upgrade.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
So long as the the transmission is 4wd and for an AMC six or eight you're good to bolt in. Two-wheel-drive transmissions have a different output shaft and the whole thing needs disassembled.

80-81 automatics were "Narrow Ratio" and from 82 on up they were "Wide Ratio"
80-84 automatics were lockup and 85 on up were non-lockup.
Some combinations got a factory "High Stall" converter, there's (supposed to be) a label on the the converter to tell you.

Gear Ratios:
GearNarrowWide
12.45:12.74:1
21.45:11.54:1
31:11:1

80 cars would have a 119 transfer case without the 2wd-4wd switch.
81 can be like an 80 or an 82.
82-83 cars have a stop-shift 129 transfer case and an axle disconnect.
84 and up cars have shift-on-the-fly.

All transfer cases can exchange rather easily. If you don't have the switch you'll have to lock the 129 case in 4wd mode when you install it. If you have an axle disconnect, you will have to add a vacuum line to hold it locked or perform one of the axle lock modifications if you put a 119 in it.

Im going to keep my transfer case. By TC i meant torque converter. I have an 84 eagle. If i get a used tranny, most likely the Torque converter is going to be on it correct?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
Im going to keep my transfer case. By TC i meant torque converter. I have an 84 eagle.
I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd cover everything. The torque converter is part of the transmission assembly. Lockup and non-lockup ones don't interchange.

If i get a used tranny, most likely the Torque converter is going to be on it correct?

It should be, and I'd insist on it.
NSS#47184

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Make sure you get the converter with the trans. Even though it comes off, the old converter from another trans is NOT good to put in! The crud from the dead trans is inside it, and at least 1/2 the 9XX trans I've had over the past almost 40 years (yes, I'm THAT old. 53 this year and owned cars/trucks since I was 12) were caused by the converter going south (especially cracking the neck)
   The BEST "upgrade" (I'd call it reliability improvement myself) you can do is get one with a billet neck converter that's been brazed in. Least likely to break.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »
Im going to get a whole used set from another eagle, the converter/trans/and transfer case. Then I'm going to keep mine and have everything redone completely by a shop when I get the money. Im poor at the moment haha. If i can get a used everything for 200 and have it last me a year ill be happy, then ill save up the grand or so and have me a completely rebuilt tranny/transfercase.

When taking out the tranny where am i sposta put the jack to hold it up? on the pan? Will that hurt it or do i put it somewhere else.  And with the used tranny since its probably been sitting since the birth of christ is there any seals that should be changed without spending a lot. Since its just a get by tranny until i get money to rebuild. I really don't want my eagle sitting so long with out me behind the wheel. And pretending just doesn't cut it, I've tried.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:07:04 AM by 84eaglelmz »

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »
I hate to ask this but where is the best transmission removal how to on this website. Ive been searching for a half hour. I found it once now I can't find it. The one in eaglepedia is vague. I mostly need to know how to remove the linkage for everything. plus everything else haha. Im getting there though, slowly.   :occasion14:

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
New plan, just getting the rebuild done. Not messing with used trannys! i want this car to be pristine!!!!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
New plan, just getting the rebuild done. Not messing with used trannys! i want this car to be pristine!!!!
I spent $1400 on a rebuild, $200 on a pump rebuild because of my mechanic, another $200 on parts and oil and now I face another $1400 because the guy used the wrong valve body. My transmission will immediately clunk into reverse, try to creep forward when in "Neutral" and there is no forward drive at all. I'm already broke and this is supposed to be a temporary transmission. I desperately need to get a clutch and new engine in this car later this month and it just isn't going to happen. The lesson? Rebuild it yourself. :/
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
Well when i bought my eagle low and behold NO TRANNY FLUID! haha thats probably my reason for some metal grinding. and yes i wouldn't pay for someone to do the tranny over that he screwed up. Im having a guy i know do it. He did a f150 for 400 bucks!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 02:49:49 AM »
Not sure why you alone are having so much trouble with them.
Long story but it's a combination of incompetent mechanics messing with me and my car and then my family getting into my business and dismissing me and any problems. I desperately need to leave this place for good. My family doesn't want me to have a car or a job and they run me broke. My grandfather is a helpless senile mechanic that has been retired for a few years. He has a lot of expensive tools and likes to butt into my business every morning because I have a car and he has the tools to work on everything. He's been an engine mechanic his entire life but knows nothing anymore. This situation gave me problems from the moment I bought the car and any time I have a problem with the car where he has to work on anything, I resent him for the next thing that blows up and then he resents my car because it's "the worst thing he's ever worked on." The worst was June of last year when I finally had the best job of my life leaving this crap town and making $700/wk machining furniture most mornings. I worked 6 days each week for 3 months and did no maintenance to the car on my only day off due to constant exhaustion. In which time, my family would mess with my car without me learning about it until the last week of my job and they continued to bother me about everything wrong with it and how I shouldn't have a job. The whole time I drove it would randomly die on the freeway in extremely dangerous situations where I'm trying to merge into traffic, oil would blow out of the crankcase all over the engine compartment and inside the air cleaner causing it to stall and this just went on and on. I began working on the car during my lunch breaks to mitigate these issues and figure out what was wrong. People at work would get in my face and start bothering me while trying to concentrate on what was going on, effectively nullifying any progress. It got worse when the court got involved in my life and started mucking up my payline so that I started losing as much as $80/day. I eventually figured out that I don't have to agree to their contracts so that harassment went away pretty quickly.

Some weird stuff happened during that time but the worst of it was waking up every Monday to some problem where I had to resort to driving any three of my grandfather's big 1972 Fords to work for the rest of the week while this trouble got fixed. Gas was $4.25/gal so the whole time I was just :censored:. These all have big 390 engines and just aren't made for driving every day let alone 64 miles out of town every day. A dead battery was the first issue after my alternator blew up. Since this town is such a constant availability issue, I had to wait a week just to get it. When that was fixed the next week I had a problem shifting on my way home from work. I barely got the car home and my grandfather jumped on that pretty fast. I told him what was going on and he started arguing with me about how I don't maintain the car. He didn't even know what the problem was and he started to fill the transmission with fluid as I tried very hard desperately pulling the transmission into neutral and started it up. I still couldn't shift into reverse and he continued pouring fluid into the transmission hoping it would shift. He eventually snapped the dipstick while checking the fluid level and that was pretty much the defining point where everything went out of control afterwards. I took the shifter apart trying to diagnose the problem and found that the safety linkage broke. I removed it and could shift again. No more problem with that.

From then on, the transmission started to overheat after driving for 10 minutes. So much that the bottom of the shifter would burn my hand. I knew that wasn't right and that the transmission needed rebuilding or it would blow up. About early September I needed to make a trip to Portland to get something to replace in the car and that's when the transmission started slipping to the point where it stranded me in Vancouver. Everyone but police were willing to step in and help me, so that was a disaster. I eventually got it to a gas station and had to run around everywhere in the middle of the night looking for transmission fluid only to find it was spilling out faster than I could pour it. After the weekend was over I finally managed to get a wrecker to tow it home for about $300. At that point the harassment from my family and verbal abuse became awful and would only end after screaming down their throats to either help or leave me alone. That didn't accomplish much though. After I finally pulled the transmission, we discovered that the valve body tube had exploded and the shavings were in the pan and transmission cooler. So I got that rebuilt at a friend's garage while my grandfather got it in his head to flush the transmission cooler. Only he didn't.

So I got it rebuilt, bolted up, transmission started jerking again but started to behave after about a week. Winter came and I started having alternator problems again. Transmission started leaking fluid to the point where I had to add some every morning before leaving for work. It finally blew up after 6 months while I had another amazing job. My family doesn't want me to leave, won't get a shop for me to do the rebuild and is just making this into a huge expensive mess. So, I had no choice but to take it to a real mechanic. It is now day 57 that I'm without a car, my friends are starting to worry about me a lot, I haven't been able to get a job during the production time of my work season and I'm already broke again trying to get this fixed without the city and my landlord complaining about the "nonfunctional AMC wagon."

I towed it to the transmission shop and now it's his problem. If he can't fix it, I'll just have to send it to the crusher. If it gets fixed, great. I can go get the transmission I intended to put into this car in the first place. Yeah, this transmission that I need rebuilt so bad is temporary.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
got my tranny out! 400 dollars later and it will be rebuilt!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
I had a few issues trying to get my 83's transmission rebuilt (reverse worked, forward gears, just spun). Most places I called soon as I mentioned AMC they'd be doubling their prices. Finally called a local Jeep restoration place and they told me who did transmission for them. Called them up, they sent a tow truck (no cost if they did the work) and they said no issues. Was about what I assumed it would cost ($1200) but got a total rebuilt and cars working like a champ now :)
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:08 AM »
Should've asked on here first. Someone near you could tell you if it's a good place or not. I swapped my 998 for a 727, but the slower takeoff is annoying me, so I'll probably go to an AW4 sooner than later.

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
I'm a little late with this one, but going back to your question about raising the rear without being in danger of the front rolling off the ramps...

I raise one end with a floor jack and put the ramps under the wheels backwards.  Odds are good that it won't roll of the ramps anyway, but I don't like to play the odds.  Putting the ramps under it backwards makes it impossible for the car to roll over the lip on the ramps.

I'm paranoid enough that I bought two sets of ramps.  If I need to pull the tranny I'll put the whole car up on ramps with all the ramps facing out so it can't roll in either direction.  Cheaper then a trip to the hospital...or the funeral home. ;D
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »
Should've asked on here first. Someone near you could tell you if it's a good place or not. I swapped my 998 for a 727, but the slower takeoff is annoying me, so I'll probably go to an AW4 sooner than later.
The lack of overdrive runs me insane. I do all these distance trips and even a .85 ratio would be a significant advantage. In 3rd gear the cruise speed feels like 22MPH. If I wanted to pull an AW4 and bolt it to my 258, what would have it? Some random 4L Cherokee?
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:22 AM »
Quote from: casper

why is there really an issue with this lifting a car?? jack stands are cheap and safe. i have 4 sets of jack stands. depends on if im working on suspension or frame where i put them. 2 stands up front, 2 in back. with a good floor jack, make sure you have a smooth surface for your jack to roll on as it goes up and nothing to worry about. jack stands. thats the answer. no ramps or anything should be put under the tires. heck, 3 ton jackstands are cheaper than ramps. well, where i am anyway.

I was under a '91 Civic when the Duvall quake of '95 hit Seattle. The floor went sideways and the car didn't. It was on axle stands on concrete and the shot out, as did the wood blocks I had under the wheels "just in case" but they saved my life. I got a basal skull fracture across the top of my head from my right eye socket and my right eye was pushed out and dangling by the nerves. I have a hole near my temple from the oil drain plug and I lost nearly a quart of blood out of my left ear by the time I benchpressed the car off of me and threw it back. (I was a weightlifter in training for the Olympics back in 1976 and I grew up on a farm so I'm no weakling... or I wasn't)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 03:51:42 AM »
The lack of overdrive runs me insane. I do all these distance trips and even a .85 ratio would be a significant advantage. In 3rd gear the cruise speed feels like 22MPH. If I wanted to pull an AW4 and bolt it to my 258, what would have it? Some random 4L Cherokee?

Your gear ratio is probably too low for small tires/no overdrive (mine was too when I put the 3.31 in the Spirit)
AW4 from XJ or MJ (or rare early '93 ZJ) with 4.0L. It's computer controlled and your tcase isn't a direct bolt up. You need either the (other Jeep) tcase that's on the AW4 or a '91 to '95 23 spline AW4 and 1" spacer ring (I got mine from http://Partsmike.com about 10 years ago when it was going for @ $100)
   You also need the flexplate from the 4.0L (if you plan to go EFI, '91 up are HO and different from earlier ones) as well as the starter and the underhood wiring harness along with the computer and the harness to the transmission controller behind the underdash speaker panel on the passenger's side. Grab the top end of the motor (head upgrade with aluminum cover) and all teh sensors too.

Note that '87 to '90 are .70 overdrive and '91 up are .75 (all HO's) The "best" harness for an EFI swap is '91 to '95 (if you find a '96 with the trans computer under the dash still, then it's alright. Newer ones are all one computer OBDII and require extra sensors, etc)

MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE BOLTS!!!!!! I use plastic waterbottles with felt pen markings as to where they come from on this setup.

If you run the "other" tcase, you will need the rear driveshaft for sure and mod the length to fit the Eagle. Not sure on the front yet, but avoid the "tincan" style.

Not all yet, but enough to get started.

REMOVE THE CPS on the bellhousing before dropping the trans! They are fragile and have been known to catch and bend the flexplate as they are breaking!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:59:12 AM by carnuck »

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2012, 07:12:26 AM »
I was under a '91 Civic when the Duvall quake of '95 hit Seattle. The floor went sideways and the car didn't. It was on axle stands on concrete and the shot out, as did the wood blocks I had under the wheels "just in case" but they saved my life. I got a basal skull fracture across the top of my head from my right eye socket and my right eye was pushed out and dangling by the nerves. I have a hole near my temple from the oil drain plug and I lost nearly a quart of blood out of my left ear by the time I benchpressed the car off of me and threw it back. (I was a weightlifter in training for the Olympics back in 1976 and I grew up on a farm so I'm no weakling... or I wasn't)

Don't mean to hijack this thread but holy cow that is nuts.  I hope they were able to save your eye.

I'm getting old enough to know stupid stuff can happen, even when you think you've done everything you can to mitigate the risk.  I'm not going to hold up in my house and be afraid to live, but this goes to show that you just never know what's going to happen.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Glad it didn't take your life.

IMO a vehicles is never safer then when it is sitting on its wheels.  I do use jack stands when needed, but if I'm not pulling the wheels I use ramps.  To each their own, just be safe.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
They just pushed my eye back in the socket. I had double vision for a year and I lost some peripheral vision on the right (I can't drive semi anymore)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk