News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 11:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Dark Side  (Read 12869 times)

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
Re: The Dark Side
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
Did you find it off kijiji? I remember seeing it on there.

Yes, this is/was the one on Kijiji.  The pictures used in the ad were obviously taken shortly after the car was painted, because it didn't quite look that good when I went to pick it up.

The matte black on the grille, headlight doors, and taillight housings is flaking off to reveal chrome, and the gloss black on the body itself has developed numerous flaws.  Peeling, cracking, etc. with one rust spot at the bottom of the right rear door.  There's a spot on the roof where it looks like the paint went on too thick and pooled in one of the contours, and never dried properly.  It subsequently lifted off to reveal a sizable area of original paint.

The doors all open and close nicely with little to no sag, but not one of them is aligned correctly.  They're in too far in some places and out too far in others, and don't flow smoothly with the surrounding panels.  The gaps are very inconsistent too.  The driver's door was replaced, and the sticker and metal tag are long gone.  The hood is also horribly misaligned, and the rear hatch has crept down as they so often do.

The window tint is scratched in a few places, and will eventually have to be removed or redone.  The dash has a huge crack in it, and could probably never be repaired to my satisfaction.  I'll have to replace it, most likely with a black one I have on hand.  Parts of the interior were taken apart for the paint job and a stereo installation, and there are incorrect screws used everywhere.  This drives me nuts.

For the time being I'll just drive it as is and make a few small cosmetic repairs here and there, but overall I view this as a project car.  The long term plan is to strip it down to the shell, and redo it right.  Several body panels will probably be replaced in the process.  I'm also going to go back to an original stereo, and remove the alarm.  The entire wiring harness will be replaced with an uncut factory unit.

I suspect the car will get lots of looks and positive comments as is, but overall I'm not satisfied with it in its current state.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Prafeston

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
That's quite a list you already have going. I would have to say the pics make it look pretty darn nice. Enjoy it for awhile before you start the restore over again!

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:55 PM »
Dang that's an awesome Eagle... My first time seeing this.

ME LIKES!!!  :o
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

AB-SX4

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Good paint jobs are hard to come by. It's a pain to do it yourself. Have done it a few times (not on Eagles yet) and man is it ever a lot of work to do it properly. Hundreds of hours of taking apart, sanding, welding ...
I hope you'll enjoy your new Eagle anyway though.

All the best!

Offline hemlokk

• Eagle Ambassador
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Flying Without Wings
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
 :o Speechless....Nice find, Dean!   Man, $2600, such a steal for a rare gem like that.  Can't wait to see 'er for myself.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 3.8L, 6spd manual, hard top, green, 50,000km

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
bummer dude. that kinda sucks, :banghead: after i read your list of things wrong and things to do i feel like i would have left it there and not got it for that price. but you sound like a sound gentleman who knows how to fix everything so good luck! ;D

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »
The car has a bit of rot in the rockers, but it's repairable.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
 :hello2: More pictures please
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk