News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 05:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Dark Side  (Read 12854 times)

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
The Dark Side
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
Don't let that subject line scare you, I didn't buy a Toyota.  ;D

After five years of faithful service, my beloved '86 wagon is about to move on to a new home.  But don't worry, El Matador hasn't gone loco.  There was a method to the the madness, and this departure paves the way for a new acquisition.

So what's this "dark side" nonsense about?

I'm not usually one to name my cars, but... meet "Vader".

1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: The Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 03:00:46 PM »
Classy  8) but yet carries a sinister look, I like it.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
Very nice.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
Wow....that looks amazing!!!

It looks brand stinking new. Where did you find that thing!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I'm kinda jealous of Dean finding this, but considering how much he 'scours' the internet/used car sales/auto wreckers/kijiji/Pick n Pull lots/ and networking, I'm not totally surprised he'd find this.

Basically, if it's for sale, Dean has seen it.

And now that he has a brand new quart of POR-15, he can stay ahead of the rust, and keep this one fresh.

I can't wait to see this one in person.  I think we're doing a road trip to pick it up.

BTW, you forgot to tell us what year it is, options, mileage, etc. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:44:20 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »
It's a 1981 Sport with full time 4WD.  It only has 115,000 km (71,000 miles) on it, which is less than a third of what my other one had.  I'll be the third owner, and the current owner has had it for 12 years.  Coincidentally, his uncle was the manager of the AMC dealership in Prince George that sold this car new.

For options, it has all of the Sport items (alloy wheels, sport mirrors, three spoke steering wheel, gauges with tach, floor gauge console), tilt steering, cruise control, power windows, power door locks.  The only major item it lacks is air conditioning.  Since I live in Alberta and not Arizona, a black car without AC is just fine.  I actually prefer it that way - a little more room under the hood and less parasitic drag on the engine.

It had some sort of paint protection (Diamond Kote or something like that) applied when it was new, and it went all funky over the years and ruined the paint.  It was professionally repainted four years ago.

There is an aftermarket sound system in it, and is described as a clean installation and pretty high end.  Time will tell whether I keep that in there.

The seller is including a box of spare parts with it, and in that box is a load leveling compressor.  So, someday I'll be able to add that option too.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
You might wanna order some headlight adjusters now, and if-and-when you get Vader, we can put them in asap.  From the pictures, looks like it'll need them.

Prafeston

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
May I ask what you paid? The repaint looks very good!

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
May I ask what you paid? The repaint looks very good!

Picked it up for $2600, plus my costs of going there and back (8 hours each way).
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
if the underside is in good shape, then it's a good deal.  I got my fingers crossed for ya.  When are we leaving?   ;D

Prafeston

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
That's a pretty great deal...as long as the underside is good like Whuntmore says. Great score man. I look forward to more pics once you pick it up!

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
I specifically asked about rust, and I was told there was none except a small surface spot near the bottom of one rear door.  This car has lived its whole life in the BC interior, and has seen snow but not road salt.

I don't think I'll be driving this one through winter like I did the previous one.  I'll use my wife's Cube as my winter beater.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
Congrats. Sweet looking unit.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »
Well, it's not like you don't have several eagles to choose from, you got two in the garage (ok, one in the garage, one parked in front of the garage) and then you have like two more on Justin's lot, AND THEN you have another one, just south of Edmonton. (did I miss any?)

So it's not like you would have to drive it during the winter. 

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Man, that Wagon is HOT!!! :blob8: Nice find Dean.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »
A stealth Eagle!

Between the sweet rides you and Mud Puppy picked up, I feel that Eagle itch again!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »
dude i am so jealous.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
Looks nice. A LOT better than my black one. Congrats. on the find.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 12:54:39 AM »
So, since I managed a trip aaallllllllll the way to Calgary, and since the beastie has BC plates on it...are ya thinking of a trip down to the coast??  As I recall, I think you and Whuntmore owe me a lunch and a couple of beers ;D  And maybe a ride in your new ride????

Sweet looking car Dean!!

Egg on YA!!
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 03:14:14 AM »
Nothing in the works yet, but we will do that.  We'll try to make something happen when we can. 

My sister lives on one of the southern gulf islands, so I would love to make a trip out there with my eagle.  I'll keep ya posted.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »
Just to tell you about our trip:

Dean (El Matador) Keith and I got ready and loaded up Wednesday morning at about 6 am.  

We got to Golden, and there was an accident (transport roll-over) a few miles west.  The highway was closed, so we stopped for Breakfast in Golden.  By the time we finished, the road had opened.

We drove to Kamloops (7-8 hours?) and we got to the new eagle.  There's a couple of small rot holes on the ends of the rockers (usual places, and one small hole behind the rear fender.  

We loaded it up onto the trailer, and headed to Kelowna.  We checked into our hotel.

Next day we headed to the Kelowna Pick n Pull.  the 4 wagons are still there (the 4 door sedan is gone) the Spirit is still there, and now there's a '76 Pacer.

We actually discovered two of the wagons have rear sway bars.  One of them was in really good shape, and I managed to get it off with all the brackets and bushings intact.  the other one was pretty rotten.

Dean and Keith got lots of parts... so we packed up and came home.  I think we got back to calgary about 4 am on Friday.

I'll post some videos and pictures soon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:44:06 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
We actually discovered two of the wagons have rear sway bars.  Dean says these are sooo rare that he's never seen one.  (he jokes that they are a myth, or urban legend)
i have one of them that i still need to install on survivor and i find it hard to believe that he of all people hasn't seen one.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
What an Eagle! WOW! Congrats!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:23 AM »
You know, I believe it was Motor Trend who did an article back in the 80's about an all Black Wagon, Black INterior and Limo Black windows.  Had a Turbo on a 258 and other mods and was supposedly pretty hot.  Or maybe that was the MT project car and I am thinking about a different black on black Wagon... regardless, the Turbo garnered the comment, "If Darth Vader drove a Station Wagon, this would be it!"

In lieu of that wagon, I agree, yours qualifies!  (nowadays you could get a Turbo OR a Supercharger for your 258!)

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:23 AM »
Did you find it off kijiji? I remember seeing it on there.
Looks good

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
I took some video during this trip, and I put some of it into a video on my You Tube channel.  It's only like 5 minutes and 32 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9auOM7Wj7_M

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
I think the singing opera guy froze the video -lol - it froze up at like 2:23 , just as I saw the car with the hood up, and couldn't get it to play any further.
Man, that is some beautifull and rugged country.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »
I think the singing opera guy froze the video -lol - it froze up at like 2:23 , just as I saw the car with the hood up, and couldn't get it to play any further.
Man, that is some beautifull and rugged country.

I hate when that happens... It still runs perfectly for me.  Maybe re-load it, and then hit pause so it can fully load before you view it?  Sometimes, if I'm watching a video on YT, and the viewing catches up with the loading, it pauses, but then won't re-run (or un-pause).  I find moving the little circle back a bit (that indicates where you are in the video) will get it playing again.

I uploaded it as 720p, so you could watch it in the bigger viewer and it looks great, Or you can even run it full screen and it's not that pixel-lated.

Prafeston

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
Man that thing looks sharp. The tint looks like limo tint in the back. Seems darker than my 20% rear windows. I'm guessing they went with a 5% on the back. Looks soo good!

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »
Thanks, it worked fine that time . Funny that it says "Ford Pinto" on that Spirit , or maybe it's just plain sad that they didn't know the difference.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
Did you find it off kijiji? I remember seeing it on there.

Yes, this is/was the one on Kijiji.  The pictures used in the ad were obviously taken shortly after the car was painted, because it didn't quite look that good when I went to pick it up.

The matte black on the grille, headlight doors, and taillight housings is flaking off to reveal chrome, and the gloss black on the body itself has developed numerous flaws.  Peeling, cracking, etc. with one rust spot at the bottom of the right rear door.  There's a spot on the roof where it looks like the paint went on too thick and pooled in one of the contours, and never dried properly.  It subsequently lifted off to reveal a sizable area of original paint.

The doors all open and close nicely with little to no sag, but not one of them is aligned correctly.  They're in too far in some places and out too far in others, and don't flow smoothly with the surrounding panels.  The gaps are very inconsistent too.  The driver's door was replaced, and the sticker and metal tag are long gone.  The hood is also horribly misaligned, and the rear hatch has crept down as they so often do.

The window tint is scratched in a few places, and will eventually have to be removed or redone.  The dash has a huge crack in it, and could probably never be repaired to my satisfaction.  I'll have to replace it, most likely with a black one I have on hand.  Parts of the interior were taken apart for the paint job and a stereo installation, and there are incorrect screws used everywhere.  This drives me nuts.

For the time being I'll just drive it as is and make a few small cosmetic repairs here and there, but overall I view this as a project car.  The long term plan is to strip it down to the shell, and redo it right.  Several body panels will probably be replaced in the process.  I'm also going to go back to an original stereo, and remove the alarm.  The entire wiring harness will be replaced with an uncut factory unit.

I suspect the car will get lots of looks and positive comments as is, but overall I'm not satisfied with it in its current state.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Prafeston

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
That's quite a list you already have going. I would have to say the pics make it look pretty darn nice. Enjoy it for awhile before you start the restore over again!

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:55 PM »
Dang that's an awesome Eagle... My first time seeing this.

ME LIKES!!!  :o
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

AB-SX4

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Good paint jobs are hard to come by. It's a pain to do it yourself. Have done it a few times (not on Eagles yet) and man is it ever a lot of work to do it properly. Hundreds of hours of taking apart, sanding, welding ...
I hope you'll enjoy your new Eagle anyway though.

All the best!

Offline hemlokk

• Eagle Ambassador
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Flying Without Wings
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
 :o Speechless....Nice find, Dean!   Man, $2600, such a steal for a rare gem like that.  Can't wait to see 'er for myself.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 3.8L, 6spd manual, hard top, green, 50,000km

Offline thebanshee89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
bummer dude. that kinda sucks, :banghead: after i read your list of things wrong and things to do i feel like i would have left it there and not got it for that price. but you sound like a sound gentleman who knows how to fix everything so good luck! ;D

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »
The car has a bit of rot in the rockers, but it's repairable.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
 :hello2: More pictures please
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk