News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 17, 2024, 10:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No vacuum to cruise  (Read 3847 times)

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
No vacuum to cruise
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:55 PM »
One of the few non-operational items on the bird just dubbed Saint Michael tonight is the cruise control.  I found what I assume to be the cruise module over low on the rear of the passenger inner fender, below a vacuum canister there.  I popped a vacuum line off of it at idle and felt nothing at all on it.  It's a very hard line to trace across the cowl area, but it appears to turn inside the cabin at the top of the firewall roughly in front of the steering column?? That just seems downright odd.

I quickly learned that AMC seem to have been huge fans of vacuum solenoids, so I'm wondering if not seeing vacuum there is a sure sign of a root cause or not.

As for the general health of the system, I found and fixed one broken line from the first time I pulled the air cleaner base off.  I since learned the trick to doing that right with disconnecting the cold air duct and setting it on the valve cover without straining any of its lines. The only other possibly related symptom I can think of is HVAC temperature control seems to be on the warm side. Even driving at speed in 30 degree F temps, the air coming out was warm all the way on the cold side of the dial. Vent selection works, EGR works, brake assist works, I don't hear any other massive leaks.

Any suggestions or tips appreciated. Thanks.
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: No vacuum to cruise
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
There is only vacuum at speed with the cruise turned on. Make sure the vacuum pig is hooked up!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
the large manifold on top of the valve cover? nothing broken, I'll pull a line off and make sure there's source to it...
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »
I believe the hose going into the cabin is the brake cancel. There should be a second hose to the canister and from there to the intake manifold.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »
I think I'm going to end up taking some things apart just to be able to see what I'm tracing, just like having to pull belts to see timing marks....

I found the diagrams in eaglepedia, I think I lost the vacuum line and started following the 6 wire bundle that runs through the bulkhead to the switches.
http://www.amceaglesnest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Cruise_Command
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:25:46 PM by Taylor »
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk