News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 03, 2024, 07:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My AC stopped working the other day  (Read 9829 times)

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: My AC stopped working the other day
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 03:38:03 AM »
Back on topic (B-O-P's problem):
Here is a picture of the A/C thermostat:

I took it out. Normally this prevents the A/C evaporator from icing up.
W/O the thermostat, it is the "desert cool" option.
Since desert air is dry and hot, you would need the full cooling action of the A/C without the thermostat switching off and on.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 08:27:49 AM »
That is the AC thermostat that "ticks" when cycling the compressor - try bypassing it, and make sure the control cable going to it hasn't come off.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
THANKS!!  I really appreciate the help!  I had the whole inside of the car apart (short of pulling the dash out).  I realize that there is no relay now.  The guy at the AC repair shop kept insisting that there should be one, which had me on the wrong track from the start.  I had jumper-ed the pressure cut out switch...no joy; Then I jumper-ed the thermostat...again, no joy.  So, finally, I did the nasty and took out the radio and checked the micro switch in the temperature control head (which couldn't possibly be the problem since I fixed it last year...right? ::))  A little wiggle here, and a poke and a prod there, lo & behold, the micro switch was not making contact!  GRRRRRRR! >:(!!  So, after all this messing around and hauling out the inside of my car, I fixed the situation.  I should have followed my first instinct, which was to check the micro switch in the first place.  But wait, there's more!!  So, after farting around with this all day in the sun with temps in the upper 20's, I realize that my lift gate has been open all day.  So, naturally this leads to a dead battery.  Sigh!  This morning i jumpstart the car and drive to the office and shut the car off (backed into the stall though) and sure enough, no re-start.  But wait...it get's better!!  When I am done and ready to go home, I find a willing victim in the parking lot to give me a boost.  I get the jumper cables all set up, but the ground comes off on his truck.  He goes to reconnect it and I can here things under my hood going "click" "pop" "click" as he fumbles with the ground cable.  We get the car started, but no my altmeter gauge is reading up around the 161/2 mark.  This means only one thing...the voltage regulator is toast and I have to rebuild the alternator...AGAIN!!  That is what I am going out to do right now.  I bought a BOSCH rebuilt alternator which has a 2 year warranty and a rebuild kit so I can have a spare alternator on the shelf.  What a rigmarole just to get the AC working!!  Once again, thanks for all the help with this AC nightmare.

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »
Wow, what a story. I have a motorcycle like that, have to do the same repairs every year.
Everytime I think I did the best professional job ever, so I never doubt my work....until.
Cars and bikes are not supposed to have personalities, but sometimes I think they do.
Eggs for staying positive.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk