News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 03:31:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My current obsession!  (Read 17393 times)

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
My current obsession!
« on: April 30, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
See if this works. this is the bird in looking at. if i can get any answers from the guy that has it.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/brentsydlik/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:32:12 PM by brentsydlik »

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
Re: My current obsession!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
The picture didn't open for me.  Here is some info that may be helpful.
Most of us use free Photobucket accounts.
 www.photobucket.com
We recommend clicky pics.  This is a thumbnail picture that enlarges when clicked.
Photobucket has made a change in the way you copy the code.
Here is the way it looks to me:
For a single clicky pic, hover over the picture.  This will open a drop down menu.  Click on the fourth window, img.
It will then say "copied".
Go to the thread where you want to put the picture and paste it in.
For multiple clicky pics, hover over the pictures and click on the small box at the bottom of the picture.
Scroll down and click on "Choose action".  Click "Generate code for selected".
This will open another page.  Click on the third box, "IMG for bulletin boards & forums".  It will say "copied".  Paste it into the thread of your choice. 
In both instances you can select "Preview" to make sure it is what you want before you post it.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
try it now

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
See if this works. this is the bird in looking at. if i can get any answers from the guy that has it.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/brentsydlik/
Link works.

Looks like a fine Eagle daily driver candidate.  Good Luck!
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »
The roof rack needs to be pulled off and the roof cleaned up. Every mounting spot for the rack is rusted through. The headliners junk but the floor boards and unibody all look pretty good. Its at a "used car dealer"(3 old cars and a garage with a sign on it written in sharpie) but no body is ever around so I took it upon my self to open the one working door and pop the hood. Looks really good there too except for belts and hoses are rotted. Drivers seat is worn out and much of the plastic is faded and fragile but i want it.

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
The roof rack needs to be pulled off and the roof cleaned up. Every mounting spot for the rack is rusted through. The headliners junk but the floor boards and unibody all look pretty good. Its at a "used car dealer"(3 old cars and a garage with a sign on it written in sharpie) but no body is ever around so I took it upon my self to open the one working door and pop the hood. Looks really good there too except for belts and hoses are rotted. Drivers seat is worn out and much of the plastic is faded and fragile but i want it.
Yea, just keep lingering around and maybe leave some notes on his doorstep or try to locate a number to call the guy.  Just be persistent, and eventually you'll track the guy down.
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
Still go see her about once a week. still cant get ahold of any one to buy her. im trying really hard. these folks just dont seem to get it. :banghead:

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
the places to look on an eagle are the sections of frame that curve down behind the wheels (doglegs), the floorboards, and the rocker panels.  If those areas are rotten and you don't think you have it in you to repair (anything off by as little as 3-6 millimeters can really mess up the way the car drives).  Good luck with your hunt and like I tell everyone "when looking at an eagle to purchase it is best to just stand on your head"
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »
persistance pays off... appearently i was just annoying enough that i finally got a phone call today from the guy that owns this eagle. his price is a bit more than my top dollar(within 300) but i am confident that we can reach an agreement. how ever... these are some things i found out.

the good...

I WANT IT!!!
antifreeze is green and full
dog legs are good
floor boards look good
has alluminum valve cover
he says it runs and drives good

the bad...

no keys(door or ign.)
no starter(m.i.a.)
i havent heard it run
needs a whole mess of vaccum lines(there but cracked)
needs a pcv and grommet
someone tried to excise the catalytic converter but failed
only one wiper on the front
three broken door handles
power everything and no power to try it all

any pointers from the older and wiser?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:25:58 PM »

any pointers from the older and wiser?
My advice? Walk away, unless it is right about scrap price. Sounds like it needs quite a bit of work. You can spend a little bit more and get something that runs. I'd like to see them all saved, but sometimes it doesn't make economical sense.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:05:13 PM »
im not spending money til i hear it run... and my top dollar is about $100.00 over scrap price. hes askin $700 but im only gonna give him $500 at the most. figuring that scrap here is $220 a ton with a title and doubt its over 2 tons. im gonna try for about $350 as is and a new starter is 32 bucks. i will gladly spend 32 bucks on a starter to hear it run before i buy it. if i dont buy it then im sure someone here needs a starter. as for most of the other stuff i can fix fairly cheap. besides its only costing me like 5 vacation days that were gonna expire soon anyway.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »
"He says it runs and drives good" but there is no starter and no keys?  When was this car last driven?

I say go for it if you get it cheaply enough, and have the space for a project car.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 01:48:13 AM »
700 is pretty high without confirmation of it running. But ya gotta factor in all the good parts.

Heres my personal rule of thumb:
-runs/looks good-excellent 1500.00-5000.00+
-runs ok body is ok 500.00-1250.00
-not running/good body 350.00-450.00
-not running bad body-scrap value-325.00..depending on how many useable parts remain.
 Id offer him 400.00 maybe 450.00 tops..unles he can prove it runs.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 01:51:14 AM »
Without keys just pop the ignition switch on top of the column above the feet and slide the swich to try and start it. After of course a starter is put in.

Manitowoc WI

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
ok
#1 el matador- in=m gonna talk to the guy on monday and get the dirt on how long its been. looks like a year or so... and it showed up about a year or so ago so maybe thats when.

#2 shanebo-    for the simple fact that the dog legs are super clean and it has all the windows in it and a very seemingly clean body... i think that 3 or 4 hundred sounds fair... but i am going there with a compression gage and some other tools... if its got decent and fairly even compression then and i fill the float bowl with gas and am getting ignition in should fire correct? i dont even expect it to run right as long as it tries. not to mention the fact that i know where there is an eagle that runs but i expect the body is shot... i am kinda working on a deal there too.

#3 mudkicker- my dear old grandad has a coffee can full of keys he wants to try first but if that dont work i will try that... thanks every one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk